Places listed here include towns, castles, etc, that have a Douglas
connection. They are not necessarily places owned or occupied by the
“We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us.”
~Winston S. Churchill
Mouseover the slideshow to pause
The Campbells of Blythswood, who were also Douglases of Mains, owned this mansion house
Camp Morton, a coal mine in Spitzbergen, was named after the Earl of Morton, who was one of the owners.
This was not a Douglas property, but features in Douglas history.
The Earl of Home's residence, near Douglas Castle.
Now a ruin, the house was on the site of a 14thC castle built by Sir Archibald Douglas, son of the Earl of Douglas
Dalkeith Castle, or Palace, in Midlothian, Scotland, is the
former seat of the Duke of Buccleuch. The present house was
built in 1702 on the site of an earlier castle.
Also known as Castle Dangerous; several castle have been
built on this site, the most recent being demolished in
Built in red sandstone c.1805 for Sir William Douglas (1745-1809), founder of Castle Douglas.
The seat of Thomas Douglass, Esq., 'a very fine modern edifice', in Co Armargh, Ireland.
Located just north of Pittenweem in Fife, Grangemuir House came into Douglas ownership through marriage in 1824, but is now in ruins.
A property of the Abernethy family, it passed to the Douglases in the 14th century. The earliest parts of the castle date from the 15th century.
Hermiston, or Herdmanston, passed to the Sinclair family in the 12th or 13th century.
Held by William de Douglas, Knight of Liddesdale, who
also held Roxburgh & Lochmaben Castles, and, in 1332, was Warden of the Marches.
Jedburgh Abbey, a ruined Augustinian abbey which was founded in the 12th century, has many Douglas graves
Purchased by the 14th Duke in 1946, it is he seat of the Dukes of Hamilton and is home to one of Scotland's most important collections of portraits.
This Douglas castle, on an island, was where Mary Queen of Scots was held prisoner - bb the Douglases!
In the mid 15thC these lands in Dumfreisshire were given by James II of Scotland to James Douglas of Dalkeith, later Earl of Morton.
In 1207-8, Bishop Brice Douglas chose the church at Spynie as his cathedral. Alexander Douglas was bishop here in the 16th Century.
Allt Poll Dubh-Ghlas
Andrew Spratt's castle reconstructions
Andrew Spratt's castle reconstructions - Page2
Andrew Spratt's castle reconstructions - Page3
Antarctica place names
Barony of Holydean
Benjamin Douglas House
Byre's Castle Orchard Towerhouse
Camp Douglas, Wisconsin
Castle of Mains
Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Conaglen House and Estate
Corio Villa, Geelong
Cunningham Mausoleum, Belfast
Douglas and Angus, Dundee
Douglas Arms Hotel
Douglas Arms, Bethseda
Douglas Arms, Milngavie
Douglas Bay and Peak, Antartica
Douglas Boulder and Gap, Ben Nevis
Douglas Bridge, Strabane
Douglas Castle, Jamaica
Douglas castles in England
Douglas Cave, Gibraltar
Douglas Chapel in Parbold
Douglas Chapel, Montreal La Cluse
Douglas City, Michigan
Douglas Coalfield, Lanarkshire
Douglas Colliery, South Africa
Douglas Hall, Kirkcudbrightshire
Douglas Hill, Maine
Douglas Hotel, Brodick
Douglas Hotel, Stirling
Douglas House - List
Douglas House School, Malvern
Douglas House, Ladybank
Douglas House, Petersham
Douglas House, Trenton
Douglas in Milngavie
Douglas Island, Alaska
Douglas Lake and Dam
Douglas Lodge, Itasca State Park
Douglas Mansion, Cedar Rapids
Douglas Mansion, Jerome
Douglas Memorial Bridge
Douglas Mountains, Texas
Douglas of Cruixton
Douglas of Lindisfarne
Douglas Park, Chicago
Douglas Scott Mausoleum, Springwood
Douglas Store, Texas
Douglas, British Columbia
Douglas, Isle of Man
Douglas, Northern Cape
Douglasdale, South Africa
Douglases - Rocky Mountains
Duff House Mausoleum
Ferme du Maipas
Fort Douglas, Utah
Garvald, East lothian
Gelston Castle, New York
Gelston Castle, Scotland
George Douglas House
George Douglass House
Glen Douglas and Douglas Water
Gorbals Mansion House
James Douglas House
John Douglas House
John Douglas House
John Douglas Wayside
Kilspindie Castle and the Red Douglases
Kirriemuir - coat of arms
Lincluden Collegiate Church
Loch Doon Castle
Loch Leven Castle
Luce memorial stone
Markle Castle and the Hepburns
Monteath Douglas mausoleum in Glasgow Necropolis
Mount Howard Douglas
North Berwick and the Humes
North Berwick Castle
Penrhyn Slate Quarry
Port Douglas, Queensland
Port Penrhyn, Wales
Preston Tower and the Hamiltons
Regent Morton's House
Richard Douglass House
Saltcoats Castle, Gullane
Samuel Douglas Free School
Samuel Douglass House
Schloss Schlatt unter Krähen
St Bride's Church, Douglas
St Bride's Collegiate Church
St Mary's Isle Priory
St Mary's, Dalmahoy
St Mary’s Church, Dalkeith
St Nicholas Church, Dalkeith
St. Mary the Virgin Parish Churchyard
Stephen Douglas Monument Park
Stjärnorp Castle, Sweden
The Barony of Glenholm
The Douglas Column, Corfu
The Douglas Complex
The Douglas Heritage Museum
The Douglass Hut, Luenersee, Austria
Townhead of Cavers
US Border Station - Douglas
Vreta Abbey, Sweden
Westgate Hall, Denholm
William B. Douglass Shelter, Vermont
Woolwich Churchyard Inscriptions
Église Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Paris
Places named Douglas House
Several places in the
- The community was named for Stephen Douglas, settler
- named after mining pioneer James Douglas.
- Douglas, Georgia
- named after Stephen A. Douglas
New Douglas, Illinois
- named after Dr. William Douglas, an
eminent physician of Boston
Douglas, Michigan - Reportedly the name was chosen to honour the
American statesman Stephen A. Douglas, but other reports indicate that a
relative of the original owner of the land also suggested the name because
he came from Douglas, the capital of the Isle of Man.
Douglas Township, Minnesota - named after Stephen A. Douglas
Douglas, North Dakota
Douglas, Ohio - an unincorporated community in Putnam County.
Camp Douglas, Wisconsin
Douglas, Wyoming - named after Stephen A. Douglas
Douglas County, Colorado
Douglas County, Georgia
Douglas County, Illinois
Douglas County, Kansas
Douglas County, Minnesota
Douglas County, Missouri - named after Stephen A. Douglas
Douglas County, Nebraska - named after Stephen A. Douglas
Douglas County, Nevada - named after Stephen A. Douglas
Douglas County, Oregon - named after Stephen A. Douglas
Douglas County, Washington - named after Stephen A. Douglas
Douglas County, Wisconsin - named after
Stephen A. Douglas
Douglas Island, Alaska - named after Bishop
Douglas Park, Chicago - named after
Stephen A. Douglas
Douglassville, Berks County, Pennsylvania. named after George Douglass
Douglas, Knox County, Illinois, is an unincorporated community 3.5 miles
(5.6 km) west of Yates City.
Douglas, St. Clair County, is located along Illinois Route 159, 1 mile (1.6
km) northeast of downtown Smithton.
- Port Douglas - Tropical North Queensland
- The Douglas Range, Douglas Islands and Douglas Strait
in Antarctica are named after
Vice-Admiral Sir Percy Douglas.
- Douglas Glacier (Antarctica) was named for Everett L. Douglas, a
biologist at Palmer Station, summer 1967–68
- Douglas Station, Falkland
- Douglas, Manitoba, Canada, is located in the Rural Municipality of
Mount Douglas at the head of Fox GlacierDouglas pass through
the Hooker range
Douglas Névé and Glacier west of Mount Sefton.
The following New Zealand landmarks are named after
In the Middle Ages the Douglas family owned
extensive estates in Fife (Aberdour),
Midlothian (Dalkeith), Berwickshire, Peeblesshire and elsewhere, and
were created Earls of Morton in 1458. The
3rd Earl of Morton (d.
1550) was succeeded in his estates and title by his son-in-law James
Douglas of Pittendriech, Regent of Scotland 1572-78, but in 1558
they reverted to the Douglases of
Loch Leven (Kinross-shire).
Considerable sales of land took place in the 17th century, including
Dalkeith to the Earl of
Buccleuch in 1642 and Loch Leven to Sir William Bruce of Balcaskie
(Fife), c.1670. The islands of Orkney and Shetland, however, were
granted to the family in 1643. They were annexed by the Crown in
1669, regranted in 1707 and finally sold to the Dundas family in
1766 . The Dalmahoy
(Midlothian) estate was acquired in the mid 18th century and the
Conaglen (Argyllshire) and
Loddington (Leicestershire) estates probably for sporting purposes
in the later 19th century.
Earlier but temporary accessions of property had come through
marriages with the Hay family of Smithfield (Peeblesshire) in 1649
and the Halyburton family of Pitcur (Forfarshire) c.1730.
Estates in 1883: 49,814 acres in Argyllshire; 10,411 acres in
For a list of Douglas places, see:
Any contributions will be
Errors and Omissions
We are looking for your help to improve the accuracy of The Douglas
If you spot errors, or omissions, then
please do let us know
If you have met a brick wall
with your research, then posting a notice in the Douglas Archives
Forum may be the answer. Or, it may help you find the answer!
You may also be able to help others answer their queries.
Douglas Archives Forum.
||We try to keep everyone up to date with new entries, via our
What's New section on the
We also use
Network to keep researchers abreast of developments in the