This page was last updated on 07 November 2015

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

The Douglas Heritage Museum

 

St sophia's ChapelSt Sophia's Chapel, in the Lanarkshire village of Douglas, is now home to the Douglas Heritage Museum.  Originally the Dower House of the old Castle of Douglas, the building has had many uses in its lifetime, before being converted to the present museum in 1993.

In 1706, the building was reconstructured to provide a Parish School.  The inscription above the door tells the story (see below).  A century later, it was used as a poor House where a night's lodging was given to vagrants.  Later it reverted to being a dwelling-house and remained as such til 1961 when it was dedicated as an Episcopal Church to replace the chapel in Douglas castle.

The exhibitions are changed annually to show the various aspects of village life, Douglas families and the Cameronian Regiment. The museum is open Saturdays and Sundays from 2.00 - 5.00 pm or by special arrangement.

St Sophia’s, Bell’s Wynd, Douglas
ML11 0QH

Tel: 01555 851243

Click to enlarge the images


The entrance


The inscription above the entrance

This building is restored for the foster children of the muses under the auspices of the high and noble Duke of Douglas for the perpetual use of the School and schoolmaster 1706


Opening times

Weekends only


St Sophia's Chapel

Now the Douglas Heritage Museum


The Good Sir James

One of the exhibits is this depiction by Billy Rough


Douglas stone crest

From Douglas Castle


Crockery from Douglas Castle

Note the address - Douglas N.B. (North Britain)


Goblets from Douglas Castle

Carved from a tree on the estate.

Most of the contents were sold off when the castle was demolished


A crest from the castle


The key of the castle door


The Diocese of Glasgow (St Mungo) and Canon Reid's own crest

From the building's time as an Episcopal Church


The Douglas and Lanark County crests


The Douglas crest


Lanark County crest


The Earl of Angus

He raised the Cameronian Regiment


The christening font, with jug and plate

From the Douglas Castle Chapel


The arms of Sir william Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas

These windows were designed by Christopher Whall.


The arms of James, 2nd Earl of Mar


The arms of Archibald (The Grim) 3rd Earl of Douglas

These windows were originally in Douglas Castle


Arms of Archibald Douglas, 4th earl of Douglas


The arms of William Douglas, 8th Earl of Douglas


The arms of Archibald, 5th earl of Douglas


A triptych at the south end of the chapel

Originally part of the alter-piece in the castle chapel, the subject of the triptych is the Adoration of the Kings and Shepherds.


The left panel of the triptych

On this panel is the Archangel, Michael, holding a banner bearing the arms of the Douglases and the Third King, Power, representing the House of Douglas laying down his sword before the Prince of Peace with Douglas Castle in the background.


The right panel

On this panel can be seen St Bride's Church and the now demolished Free Church. Villagers and shepherds wearing Scottish 'rustic' dress can be seen.


The description


A little banner showing the Douglas crest

 

 


Any contributions will be gratefully accepted

 



 

 





 



Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017