Palazzo Scotti da Fombio

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

 

This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

•  Located in Via Taverna, (Strä Alvä), the "Scotti da Fombio" palace was built in 1490 by the will of the Counts (Paride and Ercole) Paris and Hercules Scotti.

The façade, composed of an exposed brick, is embellished with a sculptural frieze that "runs" along the perimeter of the building and, on which, in the corner of the building, a sculptural element is placed composed of two human figures that support the coat of arms Family. But, the most valuable element, it is certainly the Candoglia marble portal built in 1492 by Master Gregory Prini. Of great elegance he is the court, surrounded by a magnificent porch composed of columns decorated with refined capitals that make harmonious and light architecture.

In 1869, the Palazzo became owned by the illustrious medical Giacomo Morigi which, inside the building, established a place of training for the men's youth, creating in fact, an important cultural center for the city life known as "College Morigi ".

On the first floor he found hospitality the "Natural Soria Museum", recently moved to the renewed spaces of the former municipal slaughterhouse. Today, after important restorations, the structure is preparing to host some of the students who choose Piacenza as a university destination continuing, although in a different way, that "" vocation "formative and cultural vocation that pushed in the second half of the nineteenth century, the doctor Morigi to the Foundation Of the homonymous college.

•  Palazzo Scotti from Fombio stands not far from Piazza Borgo, and as Palazzo Landi occupies an entire isolated with the large rear seat. The Scotti family is also among the oldest and rich in Piacenza, guelph orientation and equipped with enormous real estate assets similar to that of the Landi.

The palace was built in the same years as Palazzo dei Landi, at the end of the fifteenth century, with a similar Renaissance taste; Along the simple and severe cooked façade, a stone dividing frieze, adorned with hippocampas, sirens and medallions with busts and coats of arms.

Also noteworthy is the entrance portal, richly decorated, and the two statues with the coat of arms placed at the corner with Via S. Bartolomeo.

The building half was purchased by the Giacomo Morigi surgeon in 1855, to make a college for young students in need and deserving, and half was acquired by the Municipality of Piacenza.



See also:

•  Douglas Scotti of Fombio
•  Castello Fombio

For more on the Douglas Scotti families of Italy, see our Italy portal.

Source


Sources for this article include:


  • Ripensando Piacenza
  • Editoriale Libertà S.p.a.

    Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






  •  

    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Tuesday, 01 February 2022