Château de Longueville

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

 

Longueville Castle, locally known as Château de Longueville or Château Gauthier Giffard, lies in the village of Longueville-sur-Scie, in the Seine-Maritime department in France.

The first fortification at this site was a Roman castrum. The first, Carolingian, wooden castle dates back to the 9th century. Towards the end of the 11th century the stone Longueville Castle was built by Walter Giffard (Gauthier II Giffard in French), 1st Earl of Buckingham, to replace the wooden predecessor. This coincided with the creation of the County of Longueville of which the castle became the seat.

Later the County of Longueville was owned by several nobles. In the 14th century it belonged to the Counts of Evreux, a title which was also held by several Spanish Kings in that time. This led to the castle being besieged in 1356. By 1364 Longueville Castle was French property again and offered, by Charles V of France, to Bertrand du Guesclin, a Breton knight who would later become Constable of France.

In the 15th century Longueville Castle changed hands between the English and French several times, with both parties carrying out works on the castle. The title of Comte de Longueville was awarded to Archibald Douglas, Earl of Wigtown (d.1438), and his son William Douglas, 6th Earl of Douglas (d.1440) in gratitude for the assistance to the future Charles VII of France by the Scottish army rescue led by Archibald Douglas, 4th Earl of Douglas, killed at the Battle of Verneuil in 1424. Upon the death of James Douglas, 9th Earl of Douglas and 3rd Earl of Avondale in 1488, all his titles were forfeited and subsequently the title was bestowed upon Jean de Dunois. The title remained in the hands of the Orléans-Longueville family until the death of Jean Louis Charles d'Orléans in 1694.

In 1505 the County of Longueville was elevated to a duchy. In 1589 the castle was visited by Henry IV of France. During the 17th century the last Duke of Longueville died and the duchy was discontinued. The castle became managed by a bailiff. After that the castle was dismantled and turned into a stone quarry. Following that the castle fell to ruin.

The ruin of Longueville Castle is open to the public, at no charge. A nice ruin, although not very spectacular.

See also:
•  Count of Longueville
•  The Douglas family in France

Sources


Sources for this article include:

• Castles.nl

 
Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017