Schloss Schlatt unter Krähen

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Schloss Schlatt  

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

Castle Schlatt unter Krähen” is an imposing, 3 storey massive building with a rectangular design and a high span roof.

The south side shows a represensentative front with regular windows and an ornamental portal. At the corners are four octagonal towers which apparentlystill have their original roof. The building is typical for it’s year of origin, 1592.

The first mention of the place “Schlatt unter Krähen” is however long before this point of time. It was first mentioned in a 787 document, and it was established in a bronze respectively.roman time colony area. Before this castle no building in the town would have deserved the name “Castle”.

The word “Schlatt” stems from the old German and means either “marsh” (Old German “slate”) or felling area (Old German “slant”). The builder of the castle was HansLudwig of BODMANN. He bought the village “Schlatt” in 1592 from the “gentleman REISCHACH-MAGDEBURG”.

He was one of many in a succession of owners. In 1606 JAKOB HANNIBAL of RAITENAU and his heirs were the owners of the village and therefore Castle Schlatt.

In the following period the families EBINGER VON DER BURG (1619-1785), LENZ of LENZENFELD (1785-1719) and then BODMANN were owners of the building.

On the 2nd of January 1816 JOHANN VINCENZ of BODMANN called on JOSEPH THADDÄUS of REISCHACH in Immendingen, to submit aproposal to sell the property “Schlatt unter Krähen” .He carried a letter of recommendation by his brother JOHANN FRANZ who was best friends with JOSEPH REISCHACH.

Although BODMANNs family connection to the property was greater than that of Reischachs he placed the emphasis on the latter.

The purchase was presented as a good opportunity in every respect. Accordingly REISCHACH believed it advantages to extend his “Estate on Hohenkrähen” with this “well ordered property”.

One month later the sale was concluded for the not inconsiderable sum of 70,000 guilder. After JOSEPH THADDÄUS of RAISCHACH concluded this bargain on the 2nd of February 1816 the Castle Schlatt remained in the posession of this old aristocratic family.

Since 1834 this building has been their ancestal seat. Today LORD PATRICK DOUGLAS, Baron of REISCHACH is the owner. Family Douglas has it’s roots in the old scottish aristocracy. ROBERT DOUGLAS came into prominence with the Swedish military during the 30 years war. He was promoted, in 1954, to a Swedish Earl. In 1872 he also inherited Castle Langenstein.

Earl WILHELM DOUGLAS the grand grandfather of Patrick was the Master of Langenstein and he was succeeded by his son Earl ROBERT DOUGLAS. In 1955 he negotiated with “EITEL-EGG of REISCHACH” - the owner of Castle Schlatt at that time - about the adoption of his grandchild PATRICK as EITEL-EGG and his only son alive were in fight and EITEL-EGG was disinherited. Due to that, Castle Schlatt changed over to EARL PATRICK - after the death of REISCHACH in 1957.

He renovated the building over the course of time and the Castle today is still an aristocratic residence that is maintained with generous funding and loving care.

 

Sources

 

Sources for this article include:

•  AQUAPOL United Kingdom Ltd



Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017