Inchinnan Parish Church

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names


 The Parish of Inchinnan is located in Renfrewshire and has been a centre of Christian Worship for over 1400 years. The earliest settlement was in 597 A.D. by St. Conval, a disciple of St. Kentigern (also known as St. Mungo). The first structure would be roughly constructed of mud and wattles.

Named St. Conval’s the first church situated at the bridge at the Black Cart River was built about 1100, some 20 years before Glasgow Cathedral and 60 years before Paisley Abbey.

The lands of Inchinnan and the church were gifted by David 1 to the Knights Templar in the 12th Century. In 1560 patronage of the Church passed to the Lennoxes, then to the Duke of Montrose, then finally to the Campbells of Blythswood in 1737.

ALL HALLOWS CHURCH
In 1828 the mediaeval building was in a dangerous condition and a new church of the period was erected by Major Archibald Campbell. At the end of the 19th Century Archibald, the first Baron Blythswood, financed the building of a new church.

This was built around the existing one so that services could continue during construction. The building was consecrated on 6th June 1904, being dedicated to All Hallows. The construction of the new airport for Glasgow at Abbotsinch resulted in the demolition of All Hallows Church. The closing service was held on 20th June 1965. Worship continued in the Church hall nearby till June 1968.

THE PRESENT CHURCH
The foundation stone of the present church was laid on 19th November 1966 and was dedicated on 6th June 1968. The architects were Miller and Black, who incorporated as much as possible of All Hallows in the new building. The original flat roofs of the new building were replaced by pitched roofs from 1990 onwards.

In the entrance vestibule is a six or seven ton memorial slab of red granite commemorating the Blythswood family, depicting the crests of the family of 1904.  The Blythswood family were the heritors in the district and as such were responsible for appointing and paying the minister and the school master, as well as for maintaining the church, the manse and schoolhouse.

At the heart of the Church lies the sanctuary, a beautiful area in which to worship, with its natural brick walls, stained glass windows and an abundance of daylight. The five-panel window, depicting dawn and light, incorporates the arms of the Blythswood and Carrington families. The first Lady Blythswood was a Carrington.

The Choir area window was part of a 3-light window, erected by Maj. Gen. Sir Barrington Bulkeley Douglas Campbell, 3rd Lord Blythswood and his family in memory of his wife, mildred, who died shortly after his return from the South African campaign.  The glass in the side panels was not part of the otininal window.

There are five stained glass windows in the west wall. Four of the original nine did not survive. Three have Douglas/Campbell memorials (captions can be seen in the images below); the fourth and fifth have Corson and Craig memorials.

The prayer desk, pulpit and communion table look toward a stunning rose window at the rear of the Church.
memorial
There are two Douglas/Campbell memorial tablets. On the north wall is one to Menteith Douglas Campbell, who was drowned aged seven on 18th November 1847. The memorial to Major General Sir Barrington Bulkeley Douglas Campbell, 3rd baron Blythswood is adjacent to the choir. (My photograph, right, failed to work). It details his service in the Scots Fusilier Guards, and was erected after his death on 12th March 1948 by his son Archibald, 4th baron Blythswood, MVO Scots Guards.


Detail from the stained glass windows:

crests window caption window caption window caption

See also:
•  All Hallows Church

 

Sources

 

Sources for this article include:

•  Inchinnan Parish Church guide

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017