Rocca di San Giorgio Piacentino

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

 

This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

An excellent example of a villa-fortress, the Rocca di San Giorgio Piacentino, attributed to the architect Vignola, was built at the end of the 16th century by Alessandro Anguissola of the San Giorgio branch.

The Rocca of San Giorgio was built at the end of the 16th century as a military outpost in support of the Castle in San Giorgio, today the Town Hall, not far away. In 1630 it was transformed into a villa or country house.The moat that surrounded the building was drained and the property was enclosed behind a wall. In the 18th century an Italian garden was created, and some traces of this remain. Inside, the reception rooms were frescoed by the artist Felice Biella from Milan.

When the Anguissola family died out, the Rocca di San Giorgio passed in 1637 to the Marquis Fabio Scotti of Castelbosco, Count of San Giorgio, who after long works made it a summer residence.

In 1762 the Count Paolo Scotti enclosed the Rocca with a wall surrounding it with a wonderful park populated by fallow deer and deer. In 1820, on the death of Count Paolo Scotti, his daughter Clelia brought the fortress as a dowry to Count Ferdinando Negri della Torre. His daughter Maria Negri della Torre, in turn, brought it as a dowry to Count Guido Gazzola di Settima.

In 1830 the Piacenza architect Antonio Tomba restored the rural buildings in front of the Rocca, creating the barchesse with their long portico and two greenhouses on the est and west sides. Following the fashion of the time, he designed the English garden and park. To frame the entrance to the complex, two neogothic turrets were placed on the terraces of the barchesse in 1890.

The Rocca di San Giorgio is still inhabited today by the Gazzola family: Paola with her children Leonardo and Matteo

Source

 

Sources for this article include:
  • Associazione Rocca di San Giorgio


  • See also:
  • Scotti of San Giorgio
  • Our Italy portal


  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






     

    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Tuesday, 01 February 2022