Invery House

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Invery Invery 

 


 The lands of Tilquhillie and Invery came into the ownership of the Douglas family in the 16th century when David Douglas was granted former Church land in the aftermath of the Reformation. In 1576 his son John built Tilquhillie Castle, which still stands today. These lands swept round from the River Feugh to the River Dee, where there is an Invery beat. In 1760, in more peaceful times the Douglases decided to build a more comfortable residence at Invery.

By 1800 Invery belonged to James Skene. His son William, the eminent Celtic historian was born there in June 1806. James Skene was a close friend of Sir Walter Scott, who was a frequent visitor to Invery and is said to have written parts of Marmion at Invery. Scott’s introduction to canto iv of Marmion is dedicated to James Skene.

In 1816 James Skene sold Invery, moving to Edinburgh. Among many other notable achievements, Skene designed Princes Street Gardens. The original house was a classic Georgian rectangular house facing the river, using an existing 16th century cottage as its service wing. In 1904, a new wing was added, in keeping with the Georgian original and the front entrance was repositioned between the old and new parts of the house.

In the 1920s, Invery House and its policies were bought by members of the family behind the Paisley based Coats Paton thread manufacturers. It changed hands again in the 1970s before being bought by Stewart and Sheila Spence in 1986. The current owners bought it privately from the Spences in 1994, since which time it has been their family home.

Invery occupies a secluded setting on the outskirts of Banchory, the gateway to Royal Deeside, yet is only approximately a 1 ¼ mile scenic walk from the amenities of the town.

 

Sources

 

Sources for this article include:

• Prospectus for sale of Invery House

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017