Lockerbie

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Lockerbie arms Burgh Seal 

 


Lockerbie is a town in Dumfries and Galloway, southwestern Scotland. It lies approximately 75 miles (121 km) from Glasgow, and 20 miles (32 km) from the English border. It had a population of 4,009 at the 2001 census.

Lockerbie first entered recorded history in the 1190s in a charter of Robert de Brus, 2nd Lord of Annandale, granting the lands of Lockerbie to Adam de Carlyle. It appears as Lokardebi in 1306

About two miles to the west of Lockerbie on 7 December 1593, Clan Johnstone fought Clan Maxwell at the Battle of Dryfe Sands. The Johnstones nearly exterminated the Maxwells involved in the battle, leading to the expression "Lockerbie Lick."

Lockerbie developed around the square tower of the Johnstones of Lockerbie and became a Police Burgh in 1863.

The arms are taken very much from the device on the seal adopted by the Burgh in 1892. This seal showed the arms of Mr. Arthur Henry Johnstone-Douglas of Lockerbie, whose family had owned the estate of Lockerbie since the sixteenth century and who, himself, suggested that the Burgh should incorporate his arms in its seal.

The Johnstone-Douglasses of Lockerbie were descended from Sir William Douglas of Kelhead who married the daughter of the last Johnstone laird of Lockerbie and whose son Charles became 6th Marquess of Queensberry. In the arms a small difference has been made in the 1st and 4th quarters (Douglas, Marquess of Queensberry) where the Royal tressure has been replaced by a silver orle; the 2nd quarter is for Johnstone and the 3rd for Mar, this last also appears in the arms of the Marquess of Queensberry, whose motto is also used.

The burgh coat of arms were officially granted on June 4, 1930.

Quarterly: 1st and 4th, Argent, within an orle a man's heart Gules, imperially crowned Proper; on a chief Azure, three mullets of the field; 2nd, Argent, a saltire Sable, on a chief Gules three cushions Or; 3rd, Azure, a bend between six cross-crosslets fitchee Or.

Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Forward".





See also:
•  Lockerbie House

Source

 

Sources for this article include:
  • Heraldry of the World
  • John H D Gair


  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Sunday, 20 January 2019