Castillo Douglas

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

 


Castillo Douglas, also known as Castillo Ortega, is a castle-like house in central Aguascalientes, Mexico.

The project was executed by the master Federico E. Mariscal, renowned architect of the time, and the construction works were carried out by Refugio Reyes. , it was built for Edmundo Ortega Douglas, whose maternal grandfather, John Douglas (1849–1918), had emigrated to Mexico from Scotland. The house is notable for having the features of a medieval castle, including a moat, a drawbridge, battlements, turrets, and a stained glass window,  made in Vienna.

John Douglas, who moved to Mexico at the end of the 19th century to Aguascalientes founded the La Perla flour factory and the tram system , allowing him to establish a farm: Chalet Douglas . In 1887, his daughter Adela Douglas married José Guadalupe Ortega y Romo de Vivár, with whom she had a son: Edmundo Ortega Douglas (Died 1970).

Edmundo, feeling a great admiration for his grandfather John, changed the name of this famous farm to Castillo Douglas. And it was here that he ordered the construction in 1923 of this palatial construction , whose emblem is Amore ne vanitate , that is to say: Love, not vanity. The reason: this castle ordered him to build a test of love for his beloved, Carmen Llaguno Cansino.

" Amore ne vanitate " (Love, not vanity), is the emblem that can be seen at the entrance of the castle, which expresses the main reason why Edmundo Ortega Douglas had this fort built in 1923, as proof of his love for Carmen Llaguno Cansino. In addition to fulfilling his desire to live in a Scottish medieval castle, as his ancestors had done previously, his family descends from James Douglas, who participated in the struggle for Scottish independence. The initials of Edmundo Ortega and Carmen Llaguno are also carved in stone on the entrance door.

The couple lived in the castle until his death: Carmen died in November 1967 and Edmundo in February 1969. After the death of Edmundo, one of his sons established a mechanical workshop, then the castle was left unoccupied after 1970. In 1997 it was restored as a restaurant bar, already became inactive. The building remained held by the descendants of Edmundo Ortega and Carmen Llaguno, until it was sold in 2015.

Edmundo's brother, Luis was Municipal President of the local City Council.

Sources


Sources for this article include:
•  Periodismo de Avanzada

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






Back to top

 



The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Wednesday, 18 July 2018