Polmunckshead, or High Monkshead

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.


On his father’s death in 1731, Archibald Inglis succeeded to Auchindinny, and in 1747 he acquired Langbyres and Monkshead by adjudication for debts amounting to £750, which had been borrowed from him by his brother Patrick on security of the lands.

Monkshead was all along held under a right of reversion to the superior, James Douglas of Hisleside(1), and no doubt it was soon afterwards redeemed, for nothing more is heard of it. It was a one merk land at Douglas in Lanarkshire, bringing it a rental of ‘fourscore pounds Scots and three stone good sufficient cheese.’  - Inglis of Auchindinny family history

 An Archibald Douglas was listed at Hileside and a John Douglas at Muntshead (sic) in the Land Tax Rolls of 1803

In 1845, Polmunckshead belonged to to Samuel J. Douglas, Esq

In about 1860, High Monkshead was described as a : thatched cothouse on the farm of Monkshead, name derived from the stream Monks Water.

In 1864, it seems that the Douglas owner was not a resident.

In 1867, James Crawford Douglas won a court case in which he defended the rights of his son, Edmund Ralston Dopuglas, or him dieing, his two sisters, all 'pupils', as owner of a nine-year lease for coal mining rights at Polmunckshead.

James Crawford Douglas, of Polmunckshead, (1824-1889) had two daughters, Catherine Anne (1855-1925) and Elizabeth Georgiana de Wend (1862-1910)


Notes:
1.  Hileside had been given by Sir James Douglas to Thomas Dickson as encouragement for him to join with him at the time of The Douglas Larder incident in 1307.
2.   James Douglas of Hileside contested a settlement with a Grissel Stuart in 1713.   [???Hamilton, Grizell, relict of Archibald Stuart, of Hisleside: Commissioner of Supply for Edinburgh 27 Jan 1721]
3.  There is definite evidence that Hazelside (presumably Hileside)  was held by Symingtons at the beginning of the sixteenth century, and there is authentic record of one William Symontoun being in 1529 appointed custodian of the castle and holding Hazelside, Kennox, part of Glentaggart and some land about Monkshead. In 1605 a Symington was still in possession of these holdings, but before the close of the century this family seem to have severed their cohabitation with Hazelside, though there were Symingtons in Monkshead at a considerably later date. - Symington family history

Source

Sources for this article include:

  • Statistical Account for Scotland

    Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






  • Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Tuesday, 23 June 2020