Newton Stewart

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

  

1816 directory entry
Newton-douglas, a burgh of barony, formerly called Newton-stewart, seated on the W. bank of the Cree; partly in the parish of Minnigaff and partly in that of Penningham; on the high road from Dumfries to Port-Patrick. It was founded about 1707, by Mr Stewart of CastleStewart, a second son of the E. of Galloway; who named it Newton-Stewarts and encouraged settlers, by building a fine bridge at the N. end of the town, over the Cree, which connects the counties of Galloway and Kirkcudbright. By the patriotic exertions of that gentleman, as well as of the present proprietor, Wm. Douglas, Esq. of Castle-Douglas (from whom it has its present name, and who acquired the superiority in 1788), it flourished greatly, and was erected into a burgh of barony; and, in 1793, contained above 1100 inhabitants. Under the patronage of Mr Douglas and Mr David Dale of Glasgow, a cotton manufacture has been established; as well as a carpet manufactory, and several tan-works. A branch of one of the Paisley banks has also opened a counting-house in it. The Cree is navigable up to within » m. of it. It lies »6 m. E. by N. of Port-Patrick.

See also:
  • Samuel Douglas
  • Samuel Douglas's Free School



  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





    Back to top

    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017