|This page is a stub.
You can help improve it.
Douglas House School opened in 1948 in the Old
Vicarage (1), Malvern, which later became the Osborne Hotel. The Principal
was Mrs Owen-Williams; there were then 12 pupils.
By 1950 numbers
had grown to 37 and the school moved to 'Prior's Mount' in Priory Road,
an imposing Victorian residence, which during WWII had been a mess for
officers of HMS Duke.
By 1953, with 80 pupils, the school was
recognised by the Ministry of Education, and in 1959 it became a Public
School under the Chairmanship of Lady Lechmere.
In 1960 the
former Dalvington Hotel in Priory Road was purchased to cater for 36
The above information was sourced by Malvern Museum from an article by Mrs Owen-Williams in the 1960 school
We could not find a house named Dalvington in Priory
Road but, if it still exists, it may be the property now known as Dalvey
In 1911 Dalvington was a lodging house; one of the people
in residence there was Henry Hamilton Dwyer, a medical practitioner,
born Dublin about 1857.
'Prior's Mount, 35 Priory Road, lay just
below St Edmunds Hall, having a similar facade to Tibbington House.
Visiting in 1905 was Rev Arthur Durrant who was vicar of Leverstock
Green, Hemel Hempstead.
After WWII Prior's Mount was occupied by
Douglas House School, which was chiefly a day school for girls aged
between 10 and 18 years, but was there also a boys' preparatory
Douglas House closed in 1970 and was acquired by
Malvern College under whose ownership Prior's Mount was demolished in
order to build the Lindsay Arts Centre, named after former headmaster
(1953-1971) Donald Dunrod Lindsay CBE, who was chairman of the
Headmasters' Conference in 1968.
Simon Douglas-Pennant, 7th
Baron Penrhyn of Llandygai lived at The Old Vicarage, Castlemorton,