Douglas House, Trenton

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

This page is a stub - You can help complete it

“Circa 1766, one of Trenton’s oldest structures, the Douglass House has had four locations over the past 200 + years, but sits today just a few hundred feet from its original location. It became a landmark during the Revolutionary War when General George Washington made it his headquarters and held his council of war here prior to the Battle of Assunpink, January 2, 1777.” – Downtown Trenton Artwalk

“The Douglass House . . . in which the conference between Washington and his generals took place on the night preceding the momentous Battle of Princeton. The modest little two-and-a-half-story frame building was then owned by Quartermaster Alexander Douglass, who had turned it over to Brigadier General Arthur St. Clair for his headquarters. Situated farther from the enemy’s gunfire, incident to the second Battle of Trenton, than was General Washington’s own headquarters in the True American Inn, the Douglass House was selected as the meeting place of the little group of patriots upon whose determination the fate of the new-born nation depended . . . [It] was built by George Bright about the year 1766 on lot No. 9 in the ‘New Town of Kingsbury.’ Bright had purchased the lot from Robert Lettis Hooper on September 21, 1756, and conveyed it to Alexander Douglass on May 12, 1769. Douglass remained in possession of the property for over 66 years, and upon his death on April 4, 1836, devised it to Joseph Douglass, son of his brother William. Quartermaster Douglass had been one of Trenton’s true patriots, serving his country throughout the Revolution. He took part in the Battles of Long Island, the Assunpink and Princeton, and the battle at Springfield, N.J., on June 23, 1780.” – Trenton Historical Society

“On the front of the German Evangelical Trinity Lutheran Church, on South Broad Street nearly opposite Livingston, is a bronze tablet bearing this inscription: Here in the house of Alexander Douglass Washington called a council of war on the evening of January 2, 1777, when the flank movement to Princeton was decided upon.” – Trenton Historical Society


Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017