Douglas Hotel

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names


The Douglas Hotel has existed since before the town of Brodick was established and has been a landmark in the town ever since. Locals and tourists over the years have fond memories of the Douglas Hotel which has played host to generations (often of the same family) enjoying special occasions at the Douglas Hotel and holidays on Arran. Its client history has been quite diverse, originally providing accommodation for associates of the Brodick Castle laird, the Duke of Hamilton, and more recently it has acted as the base for Royal Navy Submarine Commanders while completing their rigorous training on the Perisher course.

The original two and a half storey house is recorded in "Brodick Old and New" as being constructed in 1782 and is typical of this type of house from that period, It later became the local Doctor’s house and practice up until 1852 when it became a hotel. The red sandstone (quarried on Arran) and slate roofed two and a half storey hotel was constructed in front of the original house in 1858 and the grounds were landscaped at this stage. The first manager, Mr P Macdonald was brought over from "where he had one of the finest hotels in Glasgow by the Marquis of Douglas for whom he had been a yeoman" and he became a much respected member of the community.

This coincided with the removal of the island landing in 1856 from below Brodick Castle at the other side of Brodick Bay to its current pier location consequently encouraging an embryonic tourist trade. The 2.5 storey dining room/function suite wing to the west was added, matching the red sandstone and slate and mimicking the eaves details and chimneys of the original development.

A small two storey extension to the west and rear was added again matching the red sandstone and slate and mimicking the details of the original development. A large, two storey bay window was added to the front north facing facade subsequently enlarging the basement area, and giving rise to the look of the property in existence today. The recent rennovations have strived to ensure the integrity of the original building whilst at the same time bringing it firmly into the twenty first century.



Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017