Dreghorn

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.


In 1517 Sir William Cunningham, later the ‘Earl of Glencairn and Lord of the Barony of Redhall, sold the lands of Dreghorn, within the barony of Redhall (Edinburgh) to Hugh Douglas of the Bonjedward family’.

 

‘A title dated 4th February 1515 was granted to James Lawson who “desired to labour and manure the lands of Dragarn” from William, Lord of Reidhall. In 1517 Dreghorn was leased to Hugo Douglas under a reversionary right, which was made over to Alexander Cunynghame in 1531, later assigned to James Foulis of Colinton in 1536. In 1545 the Colinton Barony was settled on Henry, son of James Foulis who eventually took up residence at Dreghorn after a Decree of 1554 against John Douglas, son of Hugo “for removing from the mains and fortalice of Dreghorn”. After a money payment Henry Foulis eventually obtained contracts from the Douglas heirs discharging all interest in the lands of Dreghorn in 1558” ’.

 

Dreghorn is now the site of Dreghorn Barracks

 


Source

 

Sources for this article include:
  • Canmore - Dreghorn Mains
  • The Deeds of Bonaly and Dreghorn – 1515 – 1567 – Catalogue of Manuscripts Acquired since 1925, Vol 1 page 220 – National Library of Scotland

    Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






  • Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Sunday, 02 June 2019