|This page is a stub.
You can help improve it.
History of Clan MacFarlane Vol. II - manuscript, James MacFarlane,
Chapter 44 (manuscript kept at Helensburgh Public Library).
chronicles also show that while the existing charters of the Chiefs of
MacFarlane invariably give the southern boundary of
Arrochar-MacGilchrist as being the Nether Dhuglas valley(1) (which includes Tullichentall at its western end,) all the lands to the south of this
glen by Lochlongside, from Gortane (below Tullichentall), as far as
Garelochhead, namely Finart, Portincaple and Feorlinbreck, (the first
part of the last, perhaps a variant of Farlan) were in MacFarlane
Feorlinbreck and Finart would seem to have been
disposed of before 1490 as it is stated that, in that year, these
estates were the subject of litigation between Walter Buchanan, 14th of
that Ilk and William Douglas of Lethcamarach.
Douglas apparantly also
aquired Portincaple as in 1502, all these properties were sold by him to
Sir John Colquhoun 11th of Luss.
In 1679 Frances, Duchess of
Lennox, invested Sir James Colquhoun in certain lands which included
In 1724 Alexander Graham of Duchray writes"near the head of
this parish (Luss) are the houses of Dugal MacFarlan of Tullich and John
MacFarlan of Finart. (from Walter MacFarlane (20th Chief) in his
In regard to William Graham's mention
of "John MacFarlan of Finart," in 1724 we are assuming this
representitive to be "of Finart and Gorton"; this family being sometimes
The lands of Finnart and Portincaple were the property of the
Galbraiths in the thirteenth century, and at the close of the fourteenth
they belonged to the Macfarlanes of Arrochar. In 1490 the lands of
Finnart and Feorlinbreck were the subject of litigation between Walter
Buchanan of that Ilk and William
Douglas of Lethcamrach. In 1502 these
lands, including Portincaple, were sold by William Douglas of
Ledcameroch to Sir John Colquhoun of Luss. Afterwards the lands of
Portincaple and Feorlinbreck were feued by Sir Humphrey Colquhoun of
Luss to John Glen, in 1692, and from his daughter these lands were
purchased, in 1780, by James Colquhoun, younger of Luss.
• Galbraith properties
1. Is this Glen