|Wreath’s Tower is situated close to the village of
Mainsriddle, a mile or so north-west of Southerness on the Solway Firth.
It was a tower house thought to have been built by
James Douglas, the fourth Earl of
Morton, in the 1500s.
Not much remains of Wreath’s Tower:
fragments of the south and east walls, and the remnants of a turnpike
stair and a doorway. The height of the stairway indicates that the tower
was at least four storeys high, and the tower was oblong in shape.
The building has apparently been oblong on plan, but
the SE angle, containing a wheel staircase, is all that remains.
Fragmentary portions of the south and east walls extend for a distance
of 23' and 13'2" respectively. The remains in general are in a critical
Although probably impressive in its day, was not James
Douglas’ only place of residence, preferring Aberdour.
Robert, 9th Lord Maxwell received the lands and barony of Preston ‘ with
the castles and manor places'. A ‘James Maxwell of Wraithes' is recorded
in 1655. After the 2nd Earl of Nithsdale founded Preston town in 1663,
it is thought that Wreaths was superceded as the principal residence by
a newer building at Cavens. In 1667 John Corbet, the former bailie in
Dumfries held sasine on the lands as ‘John Corbet of Wreaths', but in
1734 it was back with the Maxwells, and was held by Mary and Willielmina
Maxwell in 1742. Around 1773 the lands of Preston, Wreaths and Cavens
were bought by Richard Oswald of Auchencruive, Ayrshire, whose family
held it throughout the 19th century. Later, in 1773, the ownership was
in the hands of a Richard Oswald of Ayrshire.
a Wreath's Tower in the parish of kKrkmichael, Dumfreisshire, on the
banks of the Wreath's Burn. However, only a small mound remains to mark