Strathenry

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Strathendry Castle   Castle gates   Strathendry Castle Strathendry House   

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

Strathenry/Strathendry/Strathendrie

Strathendry Castle, now superseded by a modern mansion, is a late 16th century tower which has been restored, occupied, and in a good state of preservation. It is oblong on plan, measuring 39' by 26' externally, with a circular stair tower projecting 13 1/2' from the centre of the N wall; it probably replaces an earlier, smaller stair in the same position.

The building stands 3 storeys and an attic high. There is a draw-well in the courtyard to the S of the tower.

The property was owned by Strathendry of that Ilk from an early date, till 1496, when it passed to the Forresters, and 200 years later, to the Douglases, then to the Clephanes in 1882.

In the 1700's, the Douglases of Kirkness acquired the castle through marriage(2).

In the 1750's ~ The young Adam Smith (1), later Author of "The Wealth of Nations" is kidnapped from the castle by a party of gypsies.

Strathendry Castle is a rectangular keep of three storeys and an attic with a projecting round stair tower. A corbelled-out parapet, with open rounds at each end, crowns one side. Many windows have been enlarged, and others have been sealed. In the courtyard is a round well, and 19th century ranges of buildings.

The original entrance is in the foot of the stair-tower, but there is also a later doorway. The basement has been vaulted and contained the kitchen with a wide fireplace. The first and second floors have two chambers, each with moulded fireplaces.

On the north elevation, there is a door below an angled projecting porch and fanlight surmounted by monogram of member of Douglas family flanked by date 1699.

The avenue of hazel trees to the north appear on Blaeu's map as an old Scottish Highway leading to Falkland.

Beyond the current west boundary stand the remains of a walled garden.

William Burn, 1824, with circa 1900 additions by Henry F Kerr and removal of rear wing 20th century. 2-storey with basement, substantial Jacobethan country house with round-headed gable to main entrance and gabled windows at 1st floor with blind arrow slits. Dressed ashlar with long and short quoins, stone mullions and chamfered arrises; hoodmoulds continuous with string course at ground floor, eaves course; central stairhead cupola surrounded by roof pitches not visible from ground.

 It is the home of the MacIver Society.

Strathenry/Strathendry/Strathendrie House, as it is variously called, was built for Robert Douglas Esq. local landowner, and is described in the New Statistical Account as "a very handsome building, in the style of the old English manor house of Queen Elizabeth's time". William Burn's drawings show the W elevation with both gables corbelled and chimneyed; a plan of the kitchen court shows the area now demolished. Burn was also engaged in alterations to Strathendry Castle in 1824. It is reported in the 1865-71 survey that Mr Douglas discovered several blackened holes in the ground which are believed to be Roman cooking places, a Roman coin was found in garden ground nearby.


See also:
•  Douglas of Strathendry

Notes:
1.  Adam Smith, author of the Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, was the son of Adam Smith, comptroller
of the customs at Kirkaldy, and of Margaret Douglas, d1784, daughter of Mr John Douglas of Strathenry, a considerable landed proprietor in Fife. He was the only child of the marriage, and was born at Kirkaldy on the 5th of June 1723, a few months after the death of his father.
2.  There was an earlier link: Sir George Douglas of Kirkness, d1609, 4th son of William, 6th earl of Morton, is the first Douglas of Kirkness, in Kinross.  He married (1597) Margaret Forrester, daughter of Thomas Forrester of Strathendry. 


Source

 

Sources for this article include:
  • Canmore
  • The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry


  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Sunday, 02 June 2019