Finart

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.


History of Clan MacFarlane Vol. II - manuscript, James MacFarlane, Chapter 44 (manuscript kept at Helensburgh Public Library).

These chronicles also show that while the existing charters of the Chiefs of MacFarlane invariably give the southern boundary of Arrochar-MacGilchrist as being the Nether Dhuglas valley (which includes Tullichentall at its western end,) all the lands to the south of this glen by Lochlongside, from Gortane (below Tullichentall), as far as Garelochhead, namely Finart, Portincaple and Feorlinbreck, (the first part of the last, perhaps a variant of Farlan) were in MacFarlane possession.

Feorlinbreck and Finart would seem to have been disposed of before 1490 as it is stated that, in that year, these estates were the subject of litigation between Walter Buchanan, 14th of that Ilk and William Douglas of Lethcamarach.
Douglas apparantly also aquired Portincaple as in 1502, all these properties were sold by him to Sir John Colquhoun 11th of Luss.

In 1679 Frances, Duchess of Lennox, invested Sir James Colquhoun in certain lands which included Finart.
In 1724 Alexander Graham of Duchray writes"near the head of this parish (Luss) are the houses of Dugal MacFarlan of Tullich and John MacFarlan of Finart. (from Walter MacFarlane (20th Chief) in his Geographical Collections.)

In regard to William Graham's mention of "John MacFarlan of Finart," in 1724 we are assuming this representitive to be "of Finart and Gorton"; this family being sometimes so described.



 The lands of Finnart and Portincaple were the property of the Galbraiths in the thirteenth century, and at the close of the fourteenth they belonged to the Macfarlanes of Arrochar. In 1490 the lands of Finnart and Feorlinbreck were the subject of litigation between Walter Buchanan of that Ilk and William Douglas of Lethcamrach. In 1502 these lands, including Portincaple, were sold by William Douglas of Ledcameroch to Sir John Colquhoun of Luss. Afterwards the lands of Portincaple and Feorlinbreck were feued by Sir Humphrey Colquhoun of Luss to John Glen, in 1692, and from his daughter these lands were purchased, in 1780, by James Colquhoun, younger of Luss.

See also:
•  Glenfinart House
•  Galbraith properties



Sources

 

Sources for this article include:



Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017