Castle is a restored tower house located 1.3 kilometres (0.81 mi)
south of Dairsie in north-east Fife, Scotland. The castle overlooks
the River Eden.
1575 – on 26th July, Lord Jon Hamilton, son of the late regent, the Duke of Chatelherault, and a leader of the Queen’s party, was ambushed at Cupar by his enemies ‘the Erle of Buchan, the Erle of Mortoun that is now, George Douglas thair brother of Lochleven, George Bishop of Murray….with fyve hundredth horsemen, accumpaneit with sunm of my Lord Lyndsayis freyndis.’ He bought time by sending his own retinue to act as a decoy, whilst he sought refuge in ‘sum fine hous.’ He was ‘immmediatelie relevit in hous of a worshipful gentilman, callit Learmonth of Dairsie; in whar he was…defendit freyndlie and manfulie to the utmost.’ He was shortly rescued by a party of his friends including ‘Erle of Angus, Rothes, Erroll and George Lord Seytoun and Hamiltons.’ His party then made a feint towards Queensferry, before slipping away north. The Regent was clearly implicated in the plot: ‘And notwithstanding of this outrage done aganis him, the Regent maid na redress, but rather doublet his malice aganis the familie.’ Hamilton followed the Queen into exile after the defeat at the battle of Langside in 1579, for which he was much to blame, but, unlike her, was restored to his properties in 1585.
King James VI of Scotland stayed at Dairsie Castle in 1583 following his escape from the Raid of Ruthven
in June 1583. In the 17th century it was sold to John Spottiswoode
(1565–1639), Archbishop of St Andrews, who built Dairsie Old Church
next to the castle in 1621.
Back to top
The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.
As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.
Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.
Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017