Part of the barony of Auchinleck was sold about or not long after the beginning of last century, but whether by any of the Reads or a previous proprietor we are unable to state.  The purchaser was Henry Smith, second son of Henry Smith of Glaswell and Canno or Camno, near Kirriemuir.  This gentleman, who died in 1726, gave the name of Smithfield to the lands he had purchased, by which name they have ever since been known.  His son John, second of Smithfield, married Margaret, daughter of William Douglas, Provost of Forfar, and ancestor of the family of Douglas of Brigton, in the parish of Kinnettles.  Provost Douglas was the son of Dr. Robert Douglas, Bishop of Brechin, and afterwards Bishop of Dunblane, to which he was translated in 1684, in which See he continued until deprived by the Revolution in 1688.  He died at Dundee on the 22nd September 1716, in the 91st  year of his age.  John Smith and Margaret Douglas had an only child, Catherine, who married John Fyffe of the family of Dron, merchant and banker in Edinburgh, and by the death of their son, --- Fyffe, a few years ago, who was a merchant in Glasgow, the estate devolved upon Major David Fyffe of the Lodge, Broughty Ferry, who is representative of the family.  The Major married one of the daughters of the late Robert Douglas, senior, of Brigton, a descendant of the Bishop of Dunblane, and through him of the Douglases, formerly Earls of Angus.