Douglas of Edrington

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

map  

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

Edrington is a medieval estate occupying the lower part of Mordington parish in Berwickshire, five miles (8.0 km) west of Berwick-upon-Tweed. From probably the 14th century, if not earlier, a castle occupied the steep hill above the mill of the same name on the Whiteadder Water. The castle ruin is still marked on today's Ordnance Survey maps. The principal farm of the estate is Edrington Mains.

George Douglas was 'a man of good parts, great bravery and courage', and was captain of the castles of Edinburgh and Douglas in the reigns of King James V. and Queen Mary. He married Elizabeth, daughter and coheiress of James Douglas of Parkhead, by whom he got the lands and barony of Parkhead in vicecomitatu de Lanark, and by her had John Douglas, doctor of divinity, ancestor of Joseph Douglas of Edrington.

William, Lord Carlyle of Torthorald, who sold his estate, and died abroad without issue, which ended the male-line of Sir James Douglas, first son of George, captain of the castles of Edinburgh and Douglas. The male-line of his second son Sir George being also extinct, his male representative [now] is Joseph Douglas of Edrington, son of the deceast(sic) Joseph Douglas of Edrington, son of John Douglas doctor of divinity, who was third son of the Captain George, and brother of Sir James, who married the baroness of Carlyle.

George Douglas of Parkhead, who married Mariot, daughter and heiress of James Douglas of Parkhead are probably the parents of Rev. John Douglas, third son of No. George Douglas of Parkhead. He was minister of St. Andrews 1621 ; D.D. 1622 ; appointed to Crail 1625. Died about 1635, aged fifty-four. He was probably father of: Rev. Daniel Douglas, " of the family of Edrington," minister of Hilton, Berwickshire, 1650-62, and 1689-1705. Died 24th July 1705, in his eighty-sixth year. He married a sister of the Rev. James Hutcheson of Killallan. He was appointed tutor to Alexander and William, sons of the late Joseph Douglas of Edrington (his brother?), 1st March 1694. He is the father of Joseph Douglas of Edrington. His Will recorded Lauder, 6th February 1694.
His son Joseph Douglas of Edrington, retoured to his father 3rd July 1694. He had issue : —
(a) James Douglas, died about 1691, when his brother Joseph was retoured his heir.
(b) Joseph (below).
(c) Alexander Douglas and (d) William Douglas (To whom their uncle (?), Daniel, named above, was appointed tutor)
Captain Joseph Douglas of Edrington, died about 1716. His son: —
Joseph Douglas of Edrington, was retoured heir to his father 27th August 1716, in Blackshiel.

Patrick Scott and James Winraham, who held wadsets (mortgages) over Edrington, resigned "the lands of Edrington", with fishings etc., and "the manor-place" [castle], on 16 June 1661 by sale, recorded in the Great Seal of Scotland, to James, Master of Mordington, "eldest lawful son of William Douglas, 2nd Lord Mordington, and his heirs male, whom failing to William Douglas his next younger brother and his heirs male, whom failing to Francis Douglas his second brother" etc.

The earlier Lauder connexion continued as Lords Mordington intermarried with the Douglas of Whittingehame family who had intermarried with the Lauders of The Bass about 1537. George Douglas, 4th Lord Mordington was married to Catherine Lauder (both died 1741). Their son, Charles Douglas, 5th Lord Mordington, was a Jacobite and was forfeited following the 1745 uprising. He died s.p. Uncles did not attempt to reclaim the title and it fell dormant. In 1799 the proprietor of the estate was a Joseph Marshall, Esq.

Thereafter the estate changed hands at least twice in every century. In 1945 it came into the possession of the Miss Robertson sisters, who established in May 1961 the Robertson Trust. Miss Elspeth, Miss Agnes, and Miss Ethel Robertson had inherited, from their father William, the controlling interest in Robertson & Baxter and Clyde Bonding Company, which was renamed The Edrington Group, today wholly owned by the Trust.

The estate is today owned by Mr. Michael Edmund Thornhill, a former Hong Kong solicitor, who purchased it in 1991.

Notes:
•  The arms of Douglas of Edrington are said to be 'two Dragon's Heads and Necks addorsed'.  These is the Carlyle arms, so more research is required.
•  14/May/1730 Joseph Douglas of Edrington paid 900 merks Scotts in lands of Soultra.


Source

 

Sources for this article include:


  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Wednesday, 18 July 2018