This page was last updated on 11 August 2021

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder





























Index of first names

Cramond Tower



Cramond TowerCramond Tower stands on high ground overlooking the Firth of Forth, a few hundred yards to the south-east of Cramond village on the north-western extremity of the capital. It has as its neighbours the 15th century Cramond Church and 17th century Cramond House.

Its history is obscure. Ratcliffe Barnett writing in 1926 states, 'Over the sea wall at Nether Cramond you will see an old tower - the only remaining fragment of the summer palace of the Bishop of Dunkeld, and once a portion of the castle which stood near the old Roman Camp of Caer-almond. The Bishops Palace was founded in the twelfth century when David I granted the lands to the Bishop of Dunkeld.' Unfortunately Mr Barnett does not cite any authority for his statement.

In Sir James Dalrymple's Historical Collections it is said that 'Robert Avendale, Justiciary of Lothian in the reign of William the Lyon (who swayed the Scottish sceptre from 1160 to 1214), and his family, did possess Karramund, and gave that part to the Bishops of Dunkeld, called Bishops Cramond, now possessed by Sir John Inglis Bart.' Keith in his Historical Catalogue of the Scottish Bishops, notes that Richard de Prebenda, second Bishop of Dunkeld died at Cramond in 1173 or 1174, and that John de Leicester, the seventh bishop of that see, died at Cramond in 1214.

From an indenture of excambion, however, in the possession of Mr. Watson of Saughton, John Wood (in his book The Antient and Modern State of the Parish of Cramond, written in 1794) notes 'it appears that Robert de Cardeny, the then Bishop of Dunkeld, made, in 1409, an exchange of the lands of cammo in this parish, for the tower of Cramond, several pieces of ground within the barony of Kirk Cramond, and divers annual rents, with John de Nudre, and William de Nudre his son and heir.' Little is known of the Nudre (or Niddry) family, and there would appear to be no textual evidence extant that would show by whom or when the tower was originally built.

Of all the Bishops of Dunkeld, the best known was Gavin Douglas, the third son of Archibald, fifth Earl of Angus (Bell the Cat). A confidant of Queen Margaret (James IV's widow), he was nominated by her to the see in 1515, but was opposed by the Earl of Atholl. Within a month, however, he was installed as Bishop, after the intervention of the Queen's brother, Henry VIII, to the pope, and with some help from his friends, in one letter to his friends he writes, 'Forget not to solyst and convey well my promotion to Dunkelden, as ye luf me, for I haf gevyn the money quhar ye bad me.' Gavin Douglas is better remembered, however, as a poet and translator of The Aeneid.

The later history of the tower is rather better documented. After the Reformation, James Paton, the first Protestant Bishop of Dunkeld, alienated the lands of Cramond in 1574 to Archibald Douglas Kilspindle (descended from Archibald (Bell the Cat), Earl of Angus. Keith in his Historical Catalogue of Scottish Bishops adds, 'for which, and, other dilapidations of his benefice, Paton was deposed the following year, 1575.'

Archibald Douglas of Kilspindle was succeeded in the lands of Cramond by his son Patrick, who in turn alienated them to Alexander Douglas(1), a macer in Edinburgh in 1600, portioner of Rathobyres. He, in 1622, sold the estate to James Inglis, a merchant in Edinburgh. Various generations of the Inglis family followed, including Sir John Inglis, born in 1683, who (according to Wood) 'after attaining a period of life to which very few reach, without suffering so much as one days confinement by sickness, died at Cramond 3rd March 1771, aged 88. He was universally esteemed and respected, and enjoyed for some years the office of Postmaster General of Scotland. His wife, with whom he lived no less than 63 years in a married state, was Ann daughter of Adam Cockburn of Ormistoun, Lord Justice Clerk.'

In 1680, the then laird, John Inglis, who obviously prospered in business despite having been imprisoned and heavily fined as a Covenanter, for his part in the Cramond Conventicles, moved from the old tower to a new and more commodious house some hundred yards inland.

The Inglis family continued possession of their Cramond estate, including the old tower, until 1817, when Sir Patrick Inglis, Ann Cockburn's third son, died and the estate passed to Lady Torphichen - daughter of Sir John Inglis who had died in 1799, leaving the estate to his younger brother Sir Patrick. After Lady Torphichen's death, the estate passed to Susan, a descendant of another of Anne Cockburn's children. She married Cragie and her daughter married a Halkett, the Craigie Halketts then becoming lairds of Cramond.

Following the building of Cramond House in 1680, the old tower stood empty for the next three hundred years, gradually becoming completely derelict. By 1837, James Skene, the Edinburgh painter, portrayed it as a romantic ruin, and so it stayed until the 1970's. The only practical use to which the tower was ever put during these three hundred years of neglect, was to house a gas plant for lighting the 'Big Hoose' during the Great War.

In volume three of the Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland by D.MacGibbon and T.Ross 1889, it is stated that the tower is in an unfortunate condition, being entirely crowned with ivy, which has got such a hold of it (the branches in some places going through the walls) as to greatly imperil its safety, while on the top, in consequence of the roots of saplings penetrating the walls and arch, the masonry is becoming dangerous. This is greatly to be regretted, as the structure is somewhat unique, and might easily be preserved from decay.'

Nothing was done, however, until the 1960's when Edinburgh Town Council removed most of the vegetation and crowned the barrel roof with a concrete cap. On discovering later that they did not own the building, further restoration was abandoned and it was again left to the ravages of time, the weather and vandalism.wer is a classic example of the medieval Scottish defensive tower. Four storeys high, it rises over fifty feet above the ancient raised beach, standing firmly on a solid six foot deep stone conglomerate foundation. In plan, the tower covers an area of approximately twenty-five feet square, while the walls are so thick (over five feet in places) that the plan areas of the walls surrounding each of the rooms exceeds the area of the room enclosed.

A semi-circular stair-tower protrudes at the south-east corner of the building, within this there is a stone turnpike stair, which now leads to the roof. Prior to restoration the stair rose only from the ground floor to the first floor but was missing completely for the next two levels only to reappear at the top storey. The concrete cap, added in the 1960's, prevented access to the roof area from the turnpike stair (It also blocked the chimneys from main hall and second floor fireplaces). It is virtually certain that the staircase would have been surmounted by a cap house, and this has now been restored.

The tower would have had either a pitched roof garret room or a battlemented roof. The former was considered to be the more likely and so a pitched roof was added during the restoration.

One unique feature of the tower is that the axis of the upper barrel vault is at right angles to that of the first floor barrel roof. Before restoration in the 1970's, all the wooden floors had gone, leaving only a few of the original oak beams.

Under the direction of the City Archaeologist, digging was carried out around the tower in the 1970's. A large quantity of Roman potsherds was found including the spout portion of a Roman mortarium, in addition to a pile of broken 17th and 18th century wine bottles, some marked Cramond on the shoulder. The other finds include a Charles II coin, a 19th century Russian penny, a medallion and a few silver pins.

Externally, the tower is now very much as it must have been in its heyday, but internally, although the visual impact is that of a centuries old building, the present owners enjoy a degree of comfort that would have been beyond the imagination of any of the Bishops of Dunkeld.

The tower is now in the ownership of Eric Jamieson, and used by his son.

1.  Ie, Alexander was probably not the son of Archibald.  Alexander married a Margaret Inglis. There is a  James Douglas of Knightsrig, and portioner of Ratho byres 18 May 1588, who could be Alexander's father. There is a theory that Alexander went to London in King James retinue, and was granted Reeth, in Yorkshire, as a reward for his service. However, Alexander Douglas, of Reeth, is recorded as having married Maraduke Langdale's daughter.

See also:
Cramond Regis
Plan of Cammo, Cramond Regis and Lennie, Edinburgh

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted



Errors and Omissions

The Forum

What's new?

We are looking for your help to improve the accuracy of The Douglas Archives.

If you spot errors, or omissions, then please do let us know


Many articles are stubs which would benefit from re-writing. Can you help?


You are not authorized to add this page or any images from this page to (or its subsidiaries) or other fee-paying sites without our express permission and then, if given, only by including our copyright and a URL link to the web site.


If you have met a brick wall with your research, then posting a notice in the Douglas Archives Forum may be the answer. Or, it may help you find the answer!

You may also be able to help others answer their queries.

Visit the Douglas Archives Forum.


2 Minute Survey

To provide feedback on the website, please take a couple of minutes to complete our survey.


We try to keep everyone up to date with new entries, via our What's New section on the home page.

We also use the Community Network to keep researchers abreast of developments in the Douglas Archives.

Help with costs

Maintaining the three sections of the site has its costs.  Any contribution the defray them is very welcome



If you would like to receive a very occasional newsletter - Sign up!
Temporarily withdrawn.



Back to top


The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Friday, 17 May 2024