Captain Benjamin Douglas

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder





























Index of first names


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

Captain Benjamin Douglas was born about 1685 in Charles County, Maryland. His parents were John Douglas and Catherine Heard. He swore in court that he was 50 years old in 1737. He was a planter in southern Maryland.

Captain Benjamin Douglas and Elizabeth Land married about 1707. They lived in Charles County, Maryland where they owned Blythswood Manor.

Blythswood Manor (Blithwood, Blythwood) was surveyed on May 10, 1667 for John Douglas (b. 1636). It was a 100 acre plantation on the north side of the Potomac River in the Piccowaxon area. Blythswood may have been the name of the family manor house in Scotland. Inherited by his son, Robert Douglas then by Benjamin Douglas (b. 1685) then his son, John Douglas (1709) who sold it in 1769.

In 1714 Benjamin sold his share in Cold Spring Manor to Francis Collier.

Benjamin and Elizabeth both died about 1749.

He died before February 13, 1749/50 at Causine's Manor [also known as Causin's Manor or Mount Air], Charles County, Maryland. Causine's Manor was originally 1,000 acres granted to Nicholas Causine It was in Port Tobacco Lower Hundred, five miles from the town of Portobacco.

Benjamin's estate was probated on October 13, 1749. His wife, Elizabeth. was the executrix. She received her dower right of one third the estate. He left his son, John, Blythswood and he left his son, Benjamin, part of Causine's Manor with the stipulation that his wife, Elizabeth, could use the land while she remained a widow. He passed on to his daughter, Penelope, an enslaved woman named, Jane. The remainder of the estate went to his children.

Most, if not all of Benjamin and Elizabeth's children were born on the Bowls Plantation.


•  John Douglas (1636) bought Cold Spring Manor on May 10, 1677 from Josias Fendall for 22,000 pounds of tobacco. It consisted of a home on 1,050 acres on the west side of the Patuxent River in Mt. Calvert Hundred (now part of Patuxent Hundred) in Prince George's County, Maryland. The manor came with all rights of "Lord of the Manor." 500 acres was inherited by his John's son John Douglas (1664) who left it to his son, Benjamin Douglas (1685) who sold part in 1705. The residue of Cold Spring was inherited by John's younger sons, Joseph Douglas (1675) and Charles Douglas (1678).

Charles County infobox

Charles County is in south central Maryland and was created in 1658. The first settlers were mainly English tobacco planters, their indentured servants and enslaved people. Many of of the settlers were Roman Catholic. The county, as originally laid out, also included parts of present day Calvert, Prince George's and St. Mary's Counties.
Many young healthy people died in colonial Maryland due to outbreaks of malaria and yellow fever.



Sources for this article include:
  • Wilson M. Cary Collection
  • Roberta Tuller

    Any contributions will be gratefully accepted


    Back to top


    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Monday, 25 March 2024