Sholto George Watson Douglas, 19th Earl of Morton

Photograph from People's Journal, 1928

Sholto George Watson Douglas was born November 5, 1844. In 1877 he wed Helen, daughter of Charles, 2nd Baron de Mauley of Canford. He succeeded his father in 1884. He was a Deputy Lieutenant for the County of Argyll from May 1901

He served as a Representative Peer from 1886 to his passing on October 8, 1935. His eldest son, Sholto Charles, Lord Aberdour, predeceased his father on September 29, 1911, so the Morton honours passed to the 19th Earl's grandson.

Sholto George Watson Douglas, 19th Earl of Morton, was apparently a partner in a coal mining operation in Spitzbergen.

The 1911 edition of Slater's Directory shows him as a landowner and resident of Conaglen House in Ardgour, Argyllshire.  Additionaly, he is shown has having an address at the Carlton Club, SW London.  His grandson, Ian Douglas, married a Maclean of Ardgour in 1946.

From 1911 to 1913, he was the owner of the Leisure Craft, Ramola, which he bought from the yacht builders White Brothers Ltd, based in Southampton and sold it to Sir Ralph St George Claude Gore, Baronet of Warsash, Hampshire  on 28 February 1913.

He was designated managing owner of the SY John Fell between 1913 and 1927. He purchased the yacht from Montague Grahame-White and sold it to James Napier. It may have been renamed Majesta in 1910.

 

He and the Countess are listed in a memorial in Ardgour church

Fardy at Conaglen, 1911

 

'Fardy at Conaglen' - thought to be the 19th Earl, from a family album.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Notes:
1.  Other vessels linked with the Earl are the Cressida RYS, Latona (on which he travelled to Camp Morton and at the time belonged to Sir John Whitaker Ellis) and Nardissa.

See also The Earls of Morton