Steam Yacht John Fell

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

SY John Fell  

S.Y. John Fell (2)
Fishery cruiser
Additional information courtesy of David Whiteside
Technical
Official Number: 111361
Yard Number: 79
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 145
Net Tonnage: 44
Length: 110 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Troon
Engine: C.2-cyl and boiler by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Troon
History
1899: Completed by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Troon (Yd.No.79) for Samuel T. Chadwick, Haulfre nr Beaumaris, Anglesey as steam yacht ZISKA.
31.5.1899: Registered at Troon.
1900: Sold to Lancashire & Western Sea Fisheries Committee, Preston for £8,250. John P. Muspratt, Preston, County Offices appointed manager.
1901: Troon registry closed.
1901: Fitted out as a Fishery Cruiser and remeasured 145g 59n.
1901: Registered at Preston after fit out as a Fishery Cruiser.
1901 – 1907: Visited Preston on 13 occasions, either from Southport or sea. Frequently coaled and laid over at Fleetwood.
4.1902: Towed the Blackpool long line boat and fishermen north to fish off the Cumberland coast based at Seascale.
1907: Sold to Montague Grahame-White, The Royal Automobile Club, Piccadilly, London & others. Montague Grahame-White designated managing owner.
1909: Refitted as a steam yacht and remeasured 145g 44n.
1910: Registered at Preston as MAJESTA after refitting as a steam yacht.
14.08.1912: At Cowes week and anchored in Cowes Roads, Jack Douglas of Southwick drowned after falling from boat returning to the yacht.
14.08.1913: Sold to the Earl of Morton, Conaglen, Ardgour, Argyllshire. The Earl of Morton designated managing owner.
1913: Remeasured 145g 59n.
1927: Sold to James Napier, “The Drums”, Old Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire. James Napier designated managing owner.
1939: Sold to Arthur Gore, 7th Earl of Arran.
3.1940: Requisitioned for war service employed on harbour defence patrol. Based Sheerness.
29.5.1941: Compulsorily purchased by MoWT.
8.1941: Employed on balloon barrage.
8.1941: Deployed as an auxiliary patrol vessel. Based at Aultbea, Loch Ewe.
7.1942: Laid up.
4.1943: Used as an accommodation ship at Aultbea.
1.1946: Laid up and offered for sale.
1946: Sold (not traced further at the moment).



Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017