- Douglas, Adam, settled Carlisle, Pennsylvania, ca 1765. Son
Brig Gen Ephraim, 1750-1833.
- Douglas, Alexander, 22 Husbandman, Scotland from London to Carolina
on the "Briton" A. Urquhart, November 1774
- Alexander Douglas, Royalist soldier captured at
battle of Dunbar 1650. transported to
New England on the "Unity" employed at Lynn Ironworks, MA
- Douglas, Alexander, clergyman. Edu. Edinburgh Uni. sh. 1750. sett.
St. James, South Carolina
- Douglas, Alexander, 52, B. 1723, Labourer, Perth, from Leith to
Philadelphia May 1774 on the "Friendship", T. Jann.
- Douglas, Alexander. 46. Farmer. Born in Scotland. Wife Catherine
46, born in North Carolina: Hugh, aged 14; Mary aged 11; Archibald,
aged 9; Sarah, aged 11. Mentions also Nancy Poston, aged 55, born in
North Carolina. Chesterfield County, South, Carolina.
- Douglas, Angus: Born in Scotland during 1759. Died in Richmond
County, North Carolina during 1819.
- Douglas, Anthony. aged 42. Merchant. Born in Scotland - Kershaw
county, South, Carolina
- Douglas, Archibald. Scottish Highlander. Settled in New Hanover
and Bladen Counties, North Carolina. Allocated land grants during June
- Douglas, Campbell. born in Kirkcudbrightshire during 1782. Grocer
in Charleston, North Carolina. Nat. 19 October 1813, Charleston, South
- Douglas, Campbell. aged 69. an accountant. Born in Scotland.
Charleston, South Carolina.
- Douglas, Charles 17, b. 1714, Orkney, Indentured servant from London
to Jamaica December 1731
- Douglas, Charles, Covenanter, tr. August 1685 from Leith to East New
Jersey in "Henry & Francis."
(See William Douglas)
- Douglas, Charles, pre 1782. sett. St. Kits.
- Douglass, Colin - wife and child, from Inverness-shire to Nova
Scotia on the "Hector, July 1773. Settled Middle River, Nova Scotia
- Colin Douglas with children; Alexander under 2 yrs old; Margaret
between 2 - 8 yrs old. Emigrated from Loch Rone, Rossshire to Pictou,
Nova Scotia 1773 (Same as above?)
- Douglas, Daniel. Born in Scotland ca 1735. Married Effie McLean.
Died in Richmond County, North Carolina in 1816.
- Douglas, Daniel, 32, Labourer, Cragganfearn, Logerait, Perthshire
from Greenock to N.Y., 4 September 1817 on the "William", Purinton.
- Douglas, Domini, 8, b1732
- Douglas, Lt Col Edward, b
1690, He served a term as High Sheriff and two terms as a Burgess at
- Douglas, George, Soldier. D. 1699 Darien, Edin. Pr. 1707.
- Douglas, George. To New England before 1730. m. Athelanah ? ,
- Douglas, George. To New York City before 1830. son Georhe of
Douglas Farms. M. Wall St Church, New York, 26 Apr 1837 Eliza Graham
Maxwell (Also an immigrant?)
- Douglas, George, born c 1685 Scotland. Sold by James Trent in
Burlington N. J. 21 July 1697
- Douglas, George, 18, b. 1703. Scholar, Linton, Pebbles-shire,
Teviotdale. Indentured Servant for Virginia, February 1721 from London
- Douglas (Duglas), Isabella - Born c 1682 Scotland. Imported servant
indentured 14 December 1698, Chester County, Pennsylvania
- Douglas, James, Born in Galloway during 1772. mariner. Nat. 10
December 1804, Charleston, South Carolina.
- Douglas, James
c1722-1766. Son of James Douglas of Mains, Dumbartonshire and Rebecca
Wallace. matriculated Glasgow University 1737. Settled Dumfries,
Prince William County, Virginia bef 1 Oct 1754 when married Catherine,
dau of George Brent, Woodstock, Virginia. Children: 1. Col Archibald,
British Army, died Glasgow 17 Jan 1804, 2. Margaret, unmarried, 3.
Catherine, died without issue. He
D. 18 Nov 1766, Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia.
- Douglas, James. born in the Lothians during 1776. Turner. Nat. 16
October 1805, Charleston, South Carolina.
- Douglas, James Kennedy. Born in Scotland. Nat. 14 May 1804,
Charleston, South Carolina.
- Douglas, James - a Scottish indentured servant, from Liverpool to
Virginia, December 1698 on the "Globe".
- Douglas, James, son of George Douglas of Whiterigs, Aberdeenshire.
, Surgeon. Settled St. Mary's Jamaica c 1754. Died 1763
- Douglas, James, merchant; res. Carlisle Cumberland, pts. Dr. James
Douglas, pre 1781, sett. St. John Middlesex, Jamaica.
- Douglas, James. B. 1732. Customs collector. Ed. Glasgow & Oxford
Unis. Pts. John Douglas of Kellhead. Sh. pre 1762. Sett. Jamaica.
- Douglas, James - 67, b. 1718, labourer and wife Janet Neish, 54
with child James, 8. New Abbey, Galloway. From Dumfries to Prince
Edward Island. May 1775 on the "Lovely Nelly" W. Sheridan
- Douglas, James, carpenter. Res. Edinburgh. sh. 14 July 1698 from
Leith to Darien in "St. Andrew". Married Katherine Waterstone.
Children James and Christian. Edin. pr. 1707.
- Douglas, James settled Madison Township, Columbiana county, Ohio before 1812. Farmer.
- James Douglas,
brother of the Duchess of
Douglas died on 18 Nov 1767 at Dumfries, Prince William Co., VA
- Douglas, Jane. To Mecklenberg County, North Carolina, bef 1766. M.
Henry Downs (1708-1778) (3)
- Douglas, John. Aged 60. Carpenter. Born in Scotland. Marion
County, South Carolina.
- Douglas, John. Clergyman. Sh. 1732 to Antigua.
- Douglas, John. Born near Edinburgh during 1773. Cabinetmaker.
Nat. 24 September 1802. Charleston, South Carolina.
- Douglas, John: Born in Scotland. emigrated to America during
1788. Settled in South Carolina during 1790. Nat. 4 November 1806.
Marlborough, South Carolina.
- Douglas, John 25, Labourer, Kirkbean, Galloway. From Dumfries to
Prince Edward Island, May 1775 on the "Lovely Nelly." Related
to William, below?
- Douglas, John - Labourer, Dundee Angus. . From Kircaldy to
Brunswick, North Carolina. June 1775 on the "Jamaica Packet". T. Smith
- Douglas, John, 20, b. 1755. Gardener. Scotland. From Newcastle to
Georgia September 1775 on the "Georgia Packet."
- Douglas, John, Born c 1799 in Scotland. From the Island of Jamaica
to Boston 1816. Naturalized U. S. Citizen, Washington D. C. 1828.
- Douglas, John. Born in Edinburgh. Nat. 29 December 1799. South
- Douglas, John. Aged 50. Coachbuilder. Born in Scotland. Wife,
Rachel, aged 50. Born in North Carolina. Elizabeth, aged 19, born in
Marion County, South Carolina.
- John Douglas bn abt 1799, Scotland from Jamaica to Boston 1816
Naturalized Washington, DC 1828
- John Douglas, bn abt 1796 at Castle Stewart , Wigtownshire.
Emigrated from Scotland to America. died on 2 Nov 1832. Bur at Monacacy
cemt. Montgomery Co., Md.
- Douglas, John C., b. parish of Dunfermline, Co. of Fife, Scotland,
age 46, migr. from Greenock, merchant - 1 June 1827 Naturalized New
- Douglas, John 1723-1796 Settled Charlotte, North Carolina, M. 1744
Catherine Marion daughter Nancy
- Douglas, Margaret,
indentured servant. Res. Netherthornwhat, Dumfriesshire. transported
- Douglas, Mary, born c. 1799, daughter of Lord Selkirk. to Belfast,
Prince Edward Island,, 1806 with Thomas Halliday, a Scottish
stonemason. Married Halliday. Died October 1859. Buried at Belfast,
Prince Edward Island.
- Douglas, Patrick. 35, b. 1740, Mason. Perthshire. From Greenock
to New York May 1775 on the "Monimia. E. Morrison.
- Douglas, Patrick, schoolmaster, clandestine marriage. res. Mortlach
Banff. tr. July 1750
- Douglas, Peter. Pts. Archibald Douglas of Dornick. sh. pre 1771.
sett. St. Thomas in the Vale, Middlesex, Jamaica.
- Douglas, Robert son of William D. and Anne Mattle (below). To
Connecticut before 1668
- Douglas, Rev Robert. Emigrated before 1830
- Douglas, Robert, 1814-1861. from Johnstone , Renfrewshire. son of
William D. and Janet Walker. To New York. Physician.
- Douglas, Robert. 15. b. 1706. "A poor lad". Aberdeen. Indentured
servant for Jamaica, June 1721.
- Douglas, Robert. Dumfries. From Whitehaven to Prince Edward
Island. May 1775 on the "Lovely Nelly. W. Sheridan.
- Douglas, Robert. d. 24 Oct. 1779 St. Kitts.
- Douglas, Thomas, tr. 17 Dec 1685 fr. Leith
- Douglas, Thomas. Tinker, thief. Res. Bannockburn, Stirlingshire.
- Thomas Douglas, Emigrated from Scotland to America bef 1755 baker in
- Douglas, William. Covenanter. res. Bridge of Ken. tr. Aug. 1685
from Leith to East New Jersey in "Henry and Francis".
- Douglas, William, clergyman, pre 1749. Sett. St. James Northam,
Goochland County, Virginia. M. Nicholas Hunter
- Douglas, William, aged 21. B. 1754. Labourer. Kirkbean.
Galloway. From Dumfries to Prince Edward Island, May 1775 on the
"Lovely Nelly". W. Sheridan. Related to John, above?
- Douglas, William. Born Dunfermline. Merchant in New York. Drowned
January 8, 1839.
- William Douglass, bn abt 1691 at Gifford, East Lothian. Medical
student in Edinburgh, Leyden and Paris. Emigrated to Boston in 1718.
Physician and Author. Died on 21 Oct 1752
- William Douglas, bn in Scotland
1610. Emigrated from Scotland to America in 1640. Town clerk of New
London. Mar. Ann Mattle. father of Robert (above), bn 1639.
- Douglas, William Died 3 Jun
1783. Son of Hugh D, of
Garrallan, Ayrshire, and Catherine Hume. To Virginia before 1760,
settled Loudon County, 1770. Landowner and magistrate. Married 1.
Elizabeth Offutt, widow of Thomas Stephen Lewis. Married 2. Sarah
Chilton Issue 1. Hugh 2. Bird 3. Katherine
- William John Douglas,
19 Feb 1842, North Ireland, emigrated to America before Feb 1869
- Douglas, William 1796-1840, from Morebattle, Roxburghshire. Settled
Dehli, New York 1829. M. Margaret Robson (probably also an immigrant.)
- Douglas, William, probably from Newton Stewart, Wigtonshire.
settled Camden, South Carolina, 1824 (related to James Kennedy
Source: The Directory of Scottish
Settlers in North America, 1625 to 1825 by David Dobson, et al
(1) 'Sold' - does anyone know what
this means? Was he a slave? Could he have been a Covenanter? Was he
an indentured servant?
(2) This does not tie in with
my records of the
Earl of Selkirk.
(3) Sometimes referred to as
Lady Jane Douglas.
No parents have been identified.
records and US immigrant
arrived c 1726Mormon migrants
If you recognise any of these names, then
please help us by sharing that
information so others can break down barriers that they might be facing in