John Douglas of Bruntwood Hall

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

coat of arms Bruntwood 

John Douglas, stuff merchant of Bradford, Yorkshire, England, was born 31 Dec 1809 in Stranraer, the son of John Douglas, Burgess of Stranraer, woolen/linen draper and silk mercer and his wife Jean McConbling or Comlin [sister of Nathaniel Comlin]. He had eight siblings.

He married 2 June 1840 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Janet (Jessie) Andrews.

Bruntwood Hall is an impressive building in the centre of Bruntwood Park.

The Victorian Gothic building was constructed in 1861, making it over 150 years old. It is accessed from either Bruntwood lane, or Schools Hill.

Bruntwood Hall was built for a John Douglas, a Stuff merchant from Bradford, Yorkshire, his hard work and success afforded him the ability to buy the Hall.

He was married to Janet (Jessie) Andrews who chose the name 'Bruntwood' from her east Ayrshire home roots. John Douglas died in 1863, just two years after moving into the property. Unlike Abney Hall, Moseley Old Hall, Depleach Hall and Cheadle Hall, Bruntwood doesn't have the history that is afforded to it's other neighbourhood Halls.

However, it was used as the Cheadle and Gatley Town Hall between 1944 and 1959 before it was then sold to a timber supply company for £10,750, the Town Hall moved over to Abney Hall.

Bruntwood Hall has been sold a number of times, it at some point it also served as a racehorse stud farm and during its time was one of the most successful such farms in the north of England. It has also much more recently been used by a filming company and offices. it is currently on sale for a princely sum of £1,295,000 and has a large basement that has 4 rooms, ground floor with 12 rooms, first floor with 10 rooms, plus a second floor with another 8 rooms so not a bad size.

The grounds and parkland have been open to the public since the 1940s, with sprawling fields and a lake.
Bruntwood Hall has 100 acres of sprawling parkland, although part of it was used in the mid 1990s for the construction of John Lewis and Sainsbury's superstores.

Research Note:
• On 2 May 1833 the partnership between Robert Milligan, Robert Monies and John Douglas trading as Monies, Douglas & Co., linen and woollen drapers, was dissolved by mutual consent as regards John Douglas, the remaining two partners continuing the business. On 18 January 1851 the partnership between Robert Milligan, Henry Forbes, Nathaniel Briggs and John Venimore Godwin trading as Milligan, Forbes & Co, was dissolved by mutual consent as regards John Venimore Godwin.



Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017