Count Hugo Douglas (Born in Aschersleben on 19th April 1837, died in
Berlin on 19th April 1912) was the son of Robert Archibald Douglas and
Sophie Eleonore von Mohrenschildt a.d.H. Kreutzhof. See
below and notes
The following is a literal translation from the German, awaiting
His ancestors come from the Scottish family of Douglas.
Some family members moved in the year 1772 to Aschersleben. They
were here first as a Calvinist preacher in the reformed communities.
They operated incidentally farming, because the money is hardly enough.
His grandfather William Douglas was in the year 1795 the first from the
family, in Aschersleben a brown coal deposits discovered and with his sons
in 1828 founded a pit.
His father Gustav (1798-1877) was mayor in 1832 Aschersleben and
soon elected to the district tags. The high demand for lignite and
opening new mines, the family was getting richer. This was due Hugo
Oskar George Sholto Douglas in Berlin and Heidelberg studying chemistry.
He was then employed in the emerging potassium salt Förderkomplex in
He married on 25 April 1865 Jenny Amalie Reisner,
daughter of Karl Gustav Reisner and Auguste Adelheid Reisner,
in Gottesgnaden bei Calbe . April 1865 Amalie Jenny Reisner in God's grace
in Calbe. In German war and the German-French war he became Major and
received the Iron Cross. He has since 1864 co-owner of the mine "Alfred"
in Calbe. The mine existed until 1915. This mine was one of the largest
brown coal mining pits in Germany. In the year 1882 depth of
entrepreneurs in the pit 57 meters. Sun promoted in 1889 over 200
miners daily 683 tons Rohbraunkohle. A few kilometers west of
Westeregeln he discovered under a plaster bearing potassium salt and
secured rights and the mountain began 1875 with the promotion of
carnallite. He also discovered after the appointed potash Douglasit.
He founded the "potash and rock salt mine Douglas Hall".
year 1881 was in the Aktiengesellschaft "Consolidierte Alkaliwerke" with
existing Potash factories united. Hugo Sholto expanded the number of
mining shafts to the increased needs. His potash factory in Westeregeln
belonged at the end of the 19th Jahrhunderts zu den weltweit größten
seiner Art. Century of the world's largest of its kind in the year 1884,
he worked in the men's free status levied He also engaged socially. In
1884 he founded a central body for People's Welfare, the Protestant
Federation consolation and 1886 a foundation of the family and a
He was crowned in the year of 1888 by Wilhelm II in
the county's status raised.
In 1891, the entrepreneur had on the
island of Ruegen in the Great Jasmunder Bodden goods purchased. Here
he was in the years 1893/94 on a hill one of the Berlin architect G. straw
in the style of the French Loireschösser designed manor house. He
had already been set 1810 landscape park with dendrologischen rarities.
The wooden chapel Ralswiek the county was in 1907 at the entrance
building. He did this at the World Exhibition in Sweden purchased.
Douglas County received in 1896 from the Grand Ducal Mecklenburgisch-Schwerin
government order, under a layer of plaster in Lübtheen are potash stock
and to exploit. The Mecklenburg Friedrich Franz union ", whose main
shareholder of the Grand Duke himself, was founded and in 1906 the mine
opened. In 1916, the shaft because of massive Wassereinbruchs be closed
again. The University Hall gave him an honorary doctorate and he
became a knight of several medals and honorary citizen of the city
In 1909, Hugo was Oskar Georg Graf Sholto Douglas
his memoirs under the title "life considerations - Aphorisms of life
He died in Berlin and was
Ralswiek near his mansion
buried. After his death, sold the many participating relatives, the
common coal and steel and Industriebesitztum and shared the proceeds
proportionately among themselves.
According to him was in
Aschersleben, in the administration and the kindergarten were established,
the street named Douglas.
• Almost certainly his parents were Georg
Gustav Douglas and Antonie Milda Renate Stoering
the poor translation - can anyone
• Article in the 1911