Rev. Henry Charles Douglass

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

  

This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

Rev. Henry Charles Douglass was the first Vicar of St Matthew’s Church, Ealing Common, from 1884 -1916. He was the son of John Douglas (1814-1874), of The Standard Theatre, London.

Henry Charles Douglass was admitted pensioner at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge in 1868 and was ordained priest five years later. After several curacies, the first of which was at Upper Chelsea, he became incumbent of St. Matthew's, Ealing, where he remained almost continuously between 1876 and 1916

St Matthew’s was gazetted as a new parish in 1885 and the first vicar was the Rev’d Henry Douglass, appointed that year. He served up until his death during a service on 13th August 1916 and was famous for his ‘Picture Services’, when works of art and hymns would be projected from a Magic Lantern onto a sheet drawn across the chancel arch.

The Rev. Henry Charles Douglass, moved his family to the newly built vicarage at 7 North Common Road, Ealing, next door to St Matthew’s Church in 1887, the walls of which are said to have been used by the young Dorothea(1) for hitting practice, and where she is commemorated by a blue plaque. She moved out on her marriage to Robert Lambert Chambers, a merchant. The ceremony was conducted by her father at St Matthew’s and the couple spent a further ten years in Ealing at Bryn-y-Mor, 12 Queen’s Road before moving to central London.

Three further daughters were Isabella Roach, an actress, at the family's Standard Theatre, in London, where her sister Alice was a pianist and Agnes a vocalist.

He 'fell dead on Sunday morning while was about to celebrate the Holy Communion after having preached. had suffered from heart trouble for some years'.

Whitehall, April 27, 1885. . THE Queen has been pleased to direct Letters Patent to be passed under the Great Seal nominating the ,Reverend Henry Charles Douglass, M.A., to the Perpetual Curacy of the Consolidated Chapelry of Saint Matthew, Ealing Common, in the county of Middlesex, and diocese of London.

Notes:
1.  The outstanding tennis player of the decade before the First World War, Dorothea Lambert Chambers remains the only British woman to have won the Wimbledon Championships seven times.

 

Sources

 

Sources for this article include:

•  British Bookplates: A Pictorial History

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

 



The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Wednesday, 18 July 2018