Palazzo Scotti di Vigoleno

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder





























Index of first names


The Palazzo della Prefettura also called the Palazzo Scotti di Vigoleno is a Baroque architecture-style palace in central Piacenza, region of Emilia-Romagna in Italy. The palace houses the offices of the provincial administration.

The Palazzo Scotti Da Vigoleno is an eighteenth-century building that belonged to the Scotti da Vigoleno family, later the seat of the Prefecture. Worthy of note are the three-nave atrium, the grand staircase and the frescoes, depicting celebratory allegories of the Scotti family, which adorn the upper hall.

The palace was commissioned in 1717 by the Marchese Filippo Scotti, and completed in 1727. The architect was Ignazio Cerri, and the palace was intended to house the extended family. The exterior is notable for its baroque balcony. The interior fresco decoration was completed with Rococo scenes by Francesco Natali and Bartolomeo Rusca. The Room of Honor in the palace, also called the Hall of Arms on the basis of the wall decorations has a ceiling fresco depicting the Triumph of the House of Scotti. With the death of the Marchese Gaetano Scotti in 1876, the palace was sold for 70,000 lire to the Provincial government, who converted many of the rooms to offices. The building was looted and damaged in April 1945, at the end of the War, by first the fleeing Fascists and later the partisans.

A translation
Piacenza's prefecture is based in the historic monumental palace "Scotti di Vigoleno", which takes its name from one of the four powerful families who exercised the power of the city during the Middle Ages, and which named the neighborhood where the buildings of its property stood. The palace was built by the Marquis Filippo, which started work in 1717, to finish them a decade later. At the beginning of the 1700s in Piacenza the families of the oldest nobility and those of the recent nobility rich merchants shall compete for the primacy of sumptuousness and elegance of the homes. The Marquis Filippo entrusted the works to the architect Ignazio Cerri to erect a building adequate to his illustrious family and to prepare a separate apartment for his firstborn Francesco, promised spouse to Maria Lucrezia Pallavicino of Busseto and Zibello. The construction costs were very high. The dwelling was inhabited by a large family, assisted by many servants.

The internal decoration was entrusted to Francesco Natali and Bartolomeo Rusca, the best artists operating in fresh in Piacenza, which created a series of frescoes that stands out for its high quality and originality between the examples of the piacenza decorations of the 1700s and early 1800s. The eighteenth-century grace of the paintings make a typical plastic and theatrical taste of the late Baroque.

The Rusca, which had a cultural referent of the decorative vein of the Genoese masters, was an artist with a remarkable ability to assimilate and enrich his culture, enjoying considerable success among the most popular families in Piacenza.

The elegant salon of honor of the Scotti Palace of Vigoleno (Arms room for depictions on the walls), complex of extraordinary flow rate, is characterized by the vault depicting the "Triumph of Casa Scotti", which represents allegorical figures from lively and fresh cromes .

At the death of the Marquis Gaetano, in 1876, none of the coheries wanted to detect the family palace, considered high value but of no income, which, therefore, was sold for seventy thousand lire to the provincial administration of Piacenza. The Scotti family therefore abandoned his home and his components settled in various palaces of Piacenza.

The Provincial Administration established you to transfer your offices and those of the Prefecture, deciding that the Offices of the Prefecture and the Province would have been housed in the Western wing, using the great exhibition for administration meetings, while the remaining of the apartment at close-up would have been used to the Prefecture and Prefect Accommodation offices; In the north wing he had to set up the scheduled schedule, on the ground floor the police station and on the second floor other offices. Then the offices of the Police Headquarters and the noble floor of the prefect, while the rest of the premises was used as the Prefecture offices. In March 1997 the Police Headquarters transferred its offices at the new Viale Malta headquarters.
In the days following 25 April 1945 the offices were looted by the fascists and then from the partisans, and a fire determined the loss of important historical-archival documentation.

See also:
•  Video (External link)
•  Piacenza
•  Italy portal.



Sources for this article include:
  • Prefettura of Piacenza

  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted  Can you name the sitters in the portraits?


    Back to top


    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Friday, 17 May 2024