This page was last updated on 18 September 2017

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

St Bride's Church, Douglas

 

Monument to the Good Sir JamesOld St Bride's Church dates to the late 14C. The Chancel survives as a ruin from this period while the tower was built in 1618. The church houses the tombs of the Douglas family and was renovated in the 1880s on the orders of the Earl of Home. The clock is said to have been gifted by Mary, Queen of Scots.

Douglas’s fine old clock on the spire of the equally fine old St Bride’s Church, is possibly the oldest working clock in Scotland.

As far as it is known the workings are the original and having had a new wheel piece replaced in the last 100 years. The bell ropes are of course renewed when required.

After an inspection by two Ministry of Works officials some years ago, they commented how the pendulum was added after 1565 and that in their opinion the “roots” of the pendulum were probably connected to the clock.

The clock, famous fThe clock, famous for its good timekeeping through the centuries, chimed three minutes before the hour in accordance with the Douglas motto “Jamais Arriere” …never behind (but see comments below!).

The church, which is in the care of Historic Scotland, has two vaults below the floor of the church, although only the upper layer is now accessible.

Douglases interred here include:

  • William, 1st Marquis of Douglas, died 1660aret, Countess of Angus, died 1623, the Marquis's wife
  • Mary, the Marquis's 2nd wife
  • Margaret, d 1660, the Marquis's eldest daughter
  • Anne, died 1664, the Marquis's eldest son
  • William, Earl of Angus, died 1694, the Marquis's 2nd son
  • Possibly also Captain John Ker - there is no inscription on this lead coffin.

Transferred from the new Parish Church of Douglas sometime after the renovations were carried out in 1880 were:

  • Archibald, Duke of Douglas, died 1761
  • Margaret Duchess of Douglas, died 1774
  • Archibald, 1st Baron Douglas, died 1827
  • Lady Lucy, died 1780, the Baron's 1st wife
  • Lady Frances, died 1780, his 2nd wife
  • Archibald, 2nd baron Douglas, died 1844
  • Charles, 3rd Baron Douglas, died 1848
  • James, 4th Baron DoJames, 4th Baron Douglas, died 1857
  • Williamina, died 1866, the 4th Baron's wife
  • Sholto Douglas, died 1821, the 1st Baron's songe, died 1838, George, died 1838, the 1st Baron's 5th son
  • Cospatrick, 11th earl of Home, died 1881
  • Lucy, countess of Hume, died 1877

     

    James, 2nd Marquis of Douglas and Archibald, Earl of Angus (d 1655)may also have been interred here

    Archibald, Duke of Douglas (d 1761) coffin lay in the cellars of Douglas Castle until the new Parish Church of Douglas was completed, to where it was transferred.

    Douglas ministers:
    Freskin of Douglas 1203-1222
    Archibald Douglas 1562-1570
    James Douglas 1638-1640
    Archibald Douglas    1663
    Alexander Douglas 1664-1678
    Alexander Douglas 1678-1681

     


    St Bride's Church


    Historic Scotland notice at entrance to St Bride's Church


    Historic Scotland notice at entrance to St Bride's Church


    Historic Scotland notice at entrance to St Bride's Church


    Historic Scotland notice at entrance to St Bride's Church


    St Bride's Church

    Information sheet


    St Bride's Church information sheet


    St Bride's Church - details of those burried in the crypt


    St Bride's Church - details of those burried in the crypt


    St Bride's Church - details of those burried in the crypt


    St Bride's Church - details of those burried in the crypt


    Sign above tomb of Marjory, wife of Hugh Douglas


    Tomb of Marjory Abernethy, wife of Hugh Douglas

    Hugh and his brother fought at the Battle of Largs.


    Tomb of Marjory Abernethy, wife of Hugh Douglas

    Hugh fought at the Battle of Largs. Other than that, little is known of him.



    Coat of arms of Lucy Elizabeth Douglas of Douglas, Countess of Home

    Wife of 12th Earl of Home

    Detail from the window in the south wall


    Coat of arms of Lucy Elizabeth Douglas of Douglas, Countess of Home

    Detail from the window in the south wall


    Window in the south wall

    The inscription reads: In memory of Lucy Douglas Douglas of Douglas, Countess of Home, born 1805 dies 15th May 1877 placed by her son Charles 12th earl of Home.


    Tomb of James, The gross, 7th Earl of Douglas, and his wife Beatrix

    Below the tomb are stone carving representing their 10 children, 6 sons and 4 daughters: William, James, Archibald, Hugh, John, Henry, Margaret, Beatrix, Janet and Elizabeth.


    Tomb of James, The gross, 7th Earl of Douglas, and his wife Beatrix

    Beatix Sinclair was daughter of Henry, Earl of Orkney


    Tomb of James, The gross, 7th Earl of Douglas, and his wife Beatrix


    Tomb of James, The gross, 7th Earl of Douglas, and his wife Beatrix


    Tomb of James, The gross, 7th Earl of Douglas, and his wife Beatrix

    Beatrix is depicted on the left. The earl is depicted on the right.

     


    Tomb of James, The gross, 7th Earl of Douglas, and his wife Beatrix

    The tomb is double width to accommodate both effigies. As a result, there is a protrusion on the outside wall.


    James and Beatrix information poster


    Tomb of James, The gross, 7th Earl of Douglas, and his wife Beatrix

    An ornate stone arch is formed over the effigies, and above it is this shield carved with the Douglas coat of arms showing 3 mullets and heart of Douglas, 3 mullets in triangular form for Bothwell, the upright lion for Galloway and the criss-cross for Annandale. Surmounting this is a helmet with a peacock. To the left of the shield is a panel depicting a warroir savage and on the right side is a blank which might originally have been another warrior or perhaps a deer.


    Twin widows in the south wall

    The inscription reads: In memory of Lady Jane Douglas Stuart died 1753 and her son Archibald, 1st Baron Douglas of Douglas died 1827 placed by their descendant Charles 12th Earl of Home 1901.

    Lady Jane was the subject of the much debated 'Douglas cause'.


    Originally in Canterbury Cathedral these 13th century windows were placed here in 1901. They had been in Douglas Castle Chapel since 1891.

    The inscription reads: In memory of Jane Margaret Douglas of Douglas, Lady Montagu 1859 placed by her grandson Charles 12th Earl of Home, second baron Douglas of Douglas, 1801


    The east wall window - St Bride is depicted in the centre window

    The inscription reads: Charles XII Earl of Home in memory of his grandfather Cospatrick XI earl 1881


    The east wall window


    The east wall window


    5th Earl information panel


    Tomb of Archibald, 5th Earl of Douglas

    He was alos 2nd Duke of Touraine, Earl of Wigton and Longueville, Lord of Galloway.


    Tomb of Archibald, 5th Earl of Douglas

    The figures below the tomb are thought to be religious people rather than his family. The missing space may have been a coat of arms. On buttresses are pedastals for 6 small statues, though 3 of them are missing. The 3 that are present represent religious figures.


    Tomb of Archibald, 5th Earl of Douglas


    Tomb of Archibald, 5th Earl of Douglas

    This is a robed figure, kneeling in prayer. Above the figure is a scroll, no longer legible, and a shield which may once have depicted the arms of Touraine, Douglas, Galloway and Annandale.


    The tomb of The Good Sir James

    It was Sir James Douglas who carried the heart of Robert the Bruce to the Holy Land, but died along the way at Teba, in Spain. This tomb was built between 1389 and 1395.


    The tomb of The Good Sir James

    When the tomb was opened in about 1880, no bones were found. It is thought that they may have been laid beneath the alter.

    A coat of arms can be seen above the tomb.

    It is thought that the damage may have ben caused by Cromwell's troops during the seige of Douglas Castle.


    The tomb of The Good Sir James

    His feet rest on a lion.


    Crest above the tomb of the Good Sir James


    Tomb of Lucy Elizabeth Montagu Douglas of Douglas, Countess of Home

    Born 1805, died 1877, this wondeful piece of craftsmanship shows a striking likeness of the Countess.


    Tomb of Lucy Elizabeth Montagu Douglas of Douglas, Countess of Home

    Seen here, with the tomb of the Good Sir James behind.

    The countess was wife to Cospatrick, 11th Earl of Home, and mother to Charles, 12th earl.


    The Douglas Hearts

    On the left is said to be the heart of the Good Sir James, though it seems unlikely as only his bones reportedly were brought back from Spain.

    On the right is the heart of Archibald, Bell the Cat, Douglas, 5th earl of Angus.


    The Douglas Hearts

    Archibald died in Whithorn and was buried there in 1513. the casket is lead, and said to be lined in silver.

    It is possible that the other heart is actually that of Archibald, 8th earl of Angus, who died in 1588.


    Inscription above the door


    Entrance to the vault

    The vault is on 2 layers, the lowest level being inaccessible. the upper layer was last opened in 2003.


    Inside the vault


    A hatchment located inside the vault

    It shows the impaled arms of James Douglas, 4th and last Lord Douglas of Douglas castle. He died in 1857.


    St Bride's Church, Douglas, Lanarkshire


    St Bride's Church, Douglas, Lanarkshire


    St Bride's Church, Douglas, Lanarkshire

    The east wall


    St Bride's Church, Douglas, Lanarkshire

    The oldest clock tower in Scotland, dating from the 16th century


    St Bride's Church, Douglas, Lanarkshire

    The clock strikes 3 minutes ahead of time because a douglas is 'Jamias Arriere'!


    St Bride's Church, Douglas, Lanarkshire

    Although the clock shows 12 midday, it was in fact 12:30! However, the clock had struck correctly at 3 minutes to midday. The caretaker was a trifle embarrassed.


    A tombstone in the churchyard


    A tombstone in the churchyard


    A tombstone in the churchyard


    A tombstone in the churchyard

    This was the only Douglas memorial in the chuchyard that I was able to locate.



    Armorial shield

    Heart and stars - in the church

     




     

    Any contributions to this item will be gratefully accepted

     

    Errors and Omissions

    The Forum

    What's new?

    We are looking for your help to improve the accuracy of The Douglas Archives.

    If you spot errors, or omissions, then please do let us know

    Contributions

    Many articles could benefit from re-writing. Can you help?


     

    If you have met a brick wall with your research, then posting a notice in the Douglas Archives Forum may be the answer. Or, it may help you find the answer!

    You may also be able to help others answer their queries.

    Visit the Douglas Archives Forum.

     

    We try to keep everyone up to date with new entries, via our What's New section on the home page.

    We also use the Community Network to keep researchers abreast of developments in the Douglas Archives.

     
     
     


Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017