Douglass Clay Product Company

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names


In 1896, Archibald Douglass arrived in Los Angeles and became president and treasurer of the Los Angeles Stoneware and Sewer Pipe Company, which had established a stoneware and sewer pipe manufacturing plant at 320/423 Avenue 26 in Los Angeles in 1891. Douglass was born in Fort Madison, Iowa, in 1859. In 1872, his parents moved to St. Louis, Missouri, where his father was employed as a lumber merchant. In 1883, he married Frances Kaime, and they raised two sons and a daughter. The family went to Los Angeles, California, in 1896. Douglass held the president and treasurer positions at the Los Angeles Stoneware and Sewer Pipe Company until 1905.

By 1906, Douglass had taken over the company through stock acquisitions and he decided to reorganize it under a new company which he called the Douglass Clay Product Company. The new company was incorporated on December 18, 1907, with a capital stock of $250,000. The directors were Archibald Douglass, Benjamin Douglass, C.R. Manbert, Norman A. Bailie, and Benjamin Kirby, all of Los Angeles. Officers included Archibald Douglass as president and treasurer, Donald Barker as vice-president, and Edwin Bird as secretary. The office was at the Pacific Electric Building at 604 South Main Street in Los Angeles. F.A. Mann was the sales manager. The purpose was to manufacture all kinds of clay products, including sewer pipe, firebrick, pottery, glazed brick, terra cotta, stoneware, and glassware. The focus here will be on the bricks manufactured at this plant.

In May 1906, the Douglass Clay Product Company took out a mortgage of $100,000, due in five years, for updating the plant. The plant was described as being the best equipped in its special lines in the West. The main two-story building covered two acres of the seven-acre property. The foundations were of concrete and the clay processing plant rose to four stories in height. Crude oil was used in the power plants and for the kilns. Oil was stored in two 1,500-gallon barrel tanks. The boiler plant contained three 120-h.p. return tubular boilers made by the Bass Foundry and Machinery Company, with a condensing plant that returned water to the boilers. A Bass-Corliss 120 h.p. engine was used to power the plant's machinery. A Laidlaw-Dunn-Gordon air compressor supplied compressed air for burning the kilns. A smaller engine ran the electric plant. They also had a complete blacksmith and machine shop for repairing machinery and tools. A laboratory was equipped for analyzing and testing 40 different clays.

Clay was delivered from their own 80-acre clay property near Elsinore and in the Antelope Valley by rail. A railroad spur ran directly to the clay receiving room. The clay processing plant contained two dry pans, one 5-foot and one 9-foot machine. The storage bins were in the clay tower, which had a capacity of 300 tons. Here the clay was screened for uniformity before it was drawn to the various departments.

The clay mixture was sent from the bins to the pug-mills for tempering and then to the auger mill where the mix was extruded as a continuous block. The block was automatically cut into brick shape and carried by conveyor to an Eagle Repress, where the brick was given the required density and finish. The brick machinery was made by the American Clay Working Machinery Company, Bucyrus, Ohio. The bricks were transferred to the steam drying rooms by cars. The drying room had a capacity of 150,000 green brick. When the bricks were sufficiently dried, they were stacked in the kilns and fired to 2,600 degrees F. Kilns of the round down-draft type ranged in size from 20 feet to 30 feet in diameter.

The firebrick department was equipped with hand represses and a large assortment of molds for special shapes, such as locomotive firebox lining and cupola lining. Firebricks made at this plant were used in the construction of all of its own kilns. Each firebrick was stamped with the brand name as well as the name of the company. Douglass had introduced the HIGH GRADE and EXCELSIOR brands of firebrick. The company had adopted the slogan "Douglass means quality," indicating the pride of displaying its name on every product. The plant had the capacity of producing 3.5 million bricks per year.

Glazed bricks were also tested and made at this plant. A highly finished white glaze brick that required only one burning was made. They had planned to produce glazed brick in 1909, but it is not known if that was accomplished before the plant was sold to Pacific Sewer Pipe Company in 1910.

In the four years that the Douglass Company was operating this plant, had they produced at full capacity, they would have made 14 million bricks. Whether this quantity was achieved is to be determined. Some Douglass firebrick have been found in the Los Angeles region.

In 1910, the Pacific Sewer Pipe Company purchased the Douglass plant as part of their plan to consolidate several sewer pipe manufacturing plants in Southern California. This became Plant Number 4 of the Pacific Sewer Pipe Company, which continued to manufacture bricks, but under the PSP brand.

Archibald Douglass held the secretary position in the Pacific Sewer Pipe Company and its successor Pacific Clay Products Company until 1923. He also was vice-president of the Alsop Engineering and Construction Company and president of the Duryea-White Machinery Company in Los Angeles.

 Archibald Douglass died in 1949 at the age of 90.

View of the Douglass Clay Product Company plant, Los Angeles.




Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

 



The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Wednesday, 18 July 2018