The Douglas Archives Genealogy Pages

Discovering our Douglas Ancestors and their Relatives

Elizabeth Nelson

Female 1797 - 1853  (55 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Elizabeth Nelson  [1, 2
    Born 1 Sep 1797  Poplar Grove, Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Gender Female 
    Died 9 Jan 1853  Poplar Grove, Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Buried Fort Defiance, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Person ID I148731  My Genealogy

    Father Alexander Nelson,   b. 14 Jan 1748/49, County Down, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 2 Jan 1834  (Age 84 years) 
    Mother Elizabeth Mathews,   b. 17 Jul 1763,   d. 19 Jan 1829  (Age 65 years) 
    Married 1784  [2
    Family ID F60790  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family John Montgomery, Jr.,   b. 18 Jan 1788, Deerfield, Rockbridge County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 Aug 1829, Goshen, Rockbridge County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 41 years) 
    Married 11 Nov 1813  [2
    Children 
     1. John Johnson Mathews Montgomery,   b. WFT Est 1811-1830,   d. WFT Est 1817-1914  (Age ~ 84 years)
     2. James Nelson Montgomery,   b. WFT Est 1811-1830,   d. WFT Est 1817-1914  (Age ~ 84 years)
     3. William Hughart Montgomery,   b. WFT Est 1811-1830,   d. WFT Est 1817-1914  (Age ~ 84 years)
     4. Franklin T. Montgomery,   b. WFT Est 1811-1830,   d. WFT Est 1817-1914  (Age ~ 84 years)
     5. Nannie Estaline Lockhart Montgomery,   b. WFT Est 1811-1830,   d. WFT Est 1817-1917  (Age ~ 87 years)
     6. Alexander Nelson Montgomery,   b. 18 Aug 1814,   d. WFT Est 1815-1904  (Age 89 years)
     7. Mary Ann Montgomery,   b. 10 Feb 1826, Goshen, Rockbridge County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 25 Aug 1832, Poplar Grove, Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 6 years)
    Last Modified 24 Jan 2013 
    Family ID F60966  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Elizabeth Nelson was born 1 September 1897 at Poplar Grove, near Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, where she died 9 January 1853. She is buried at Fort Defiance, Virginia. She married 11 November 1813, John MONTGOMERY, Jr., son of Rev. John MONTGOMERY and Agnes HUGHART. John Montgomery, Jr. was born 18 January 1788 at Deerfield, Rockbridge County, Virginia, and died 6 August 1829, at Goshen, Rockbridge County, Virginia. He is buried in the Old Lebanon Cemetery, Goshen, Virginia. For the following account of this family, we are indebted to the research of the late Bess C. Aubel:
      "After their marriage they lived on a plantation owned by John Montgomery near Goshen, Rockbridge County, Virginia. Goshen is at the confluence of Mill Creek with the Great Calf Pasture. It is in sight of Goshen Pass..... He was a land owner and a Presbyterian. He is buried in the (old) Lebanon Church Cemetery at Goshen, which is on a hill above "Cameron Hall," the home of Joseph Bell, Goshen, Va.

      "Betsie was a small person but she had a lively and cheerful disposition despite the fact that her health was poor during the greater portion of her life. She was a Presbyterian and deeply religious. The strict training of her children was evidenced by the exemplary life they led. John Johnson, James Nelson, William Hughart and Franklin T. were all elders or deacons of their church (Presbyterian). Her other son, Alexander N. was a member of the Episcopal Church. Betsie lived her religion in her daily life. She never closed a letter written to one of her children without a prayer for their safety and well-being. A letter written by Betsie to her son, John, March 4, 1849, shows that even after her health failed she was available to nurse the sick. She loved her children and was ever thoughtful of their welfare. One of her chief joys was to receive letters from them after they had left home. She was an accomplished seamstress and continued to sew for her sons until they were married. She made articles such as shirts, pants, collars, underwear, and neckerchiefs for them. She also knitted socks and made sheets, shams and pillowcases to send them. Betsie had a better education than the majority of the women at that period and was constantly reading the Bible, religious papers or some good book. One of her books was the "Memoir of the Rev. John H. Rice, D.C. by William Maxwell" and was presented to her by her son, James N. Montgomery. Rev. Rice was First Professor of Christian Theology in Union Theological Seminary, Virginia.

      "After the death of her husband, Betsie left Goshen and returned to Poplar Grove, her ancestral home, with her seven small children. The oldest child, Alexander Nelson was fourteen years of age, and the youngest child, Nannie Estaline Lockhart Montgomery was only seven months old. Poplar Grove was located on Lewis Creek, about six miles from Staunton, Va. Her daughter, Mary Ann, died at Poplar Grove in 1832. Betsie resided at Poplar Grove the rest of her life. When her father, Alexander Nelson, died James Nelson took over the management of the plantation. He was also a commissioner of Augusta County revenue. In 1849 he was appointed President of the Staunton Bank. James Nelson assumed the responsibilities of a father to Betsie's children, and he was highly respected by all his nephews, nieces, friends and neighbors.

      "Both Betsie and her father are buried in the "old" cemetery some 400 yards due east and across Route 11 from the Augusta Stone Church, which is adjacent to the grounds of Augusta Military School, Fort Defiance, Va. (John F. Montgomery and myself visited this cemetery August 2, 1960. Gravestones were in good state of preservation. The cemetery is surrounded by a substantial stone wall of recent construction, and the cemetery is being kept in good condition.)

      "The sons of Betsie Montgomery remained at Poplar Grove until they had completed their education. In February 1842 Alexander was 28 years old and was in Richmond, Va. preparing to commence a new business. John J. was then 25 and teaching school in Huntersville, Pocahontas County, Va. James was 23 and was working in Richmond, Va. He was considering whether to go in business with Johnston E. Bell of Lewisburg, Va.

      "Early in 1843 Alexander Montgomery had started a business at Elk Furnace, Nelson County, Va. The business consisted of a farm and an iron furnace situated on the banks of the James River. Nelson County is situated in the central part of the state, and then contained 490 sq. mi. It is bounded on the southeast by the James River and on the northwest by the Blue Ridge Mountains, and is watered by the Tye and Rockfish Rivers. The James River and Kanawha Canal passed through it. In 1843 the county had only one iron furnace and this must have been Elk Furnace. The canal extended along the
      James River from Richmond to Lynchburg, Va. Merchants traded for a good deal of the metal produced by the iron furnaces and farmers were hired during the slack season to wagon the metal to Scottsville. Boats were also used on the canal to transport the metal. Iron products were freighted down the James River to the foundries and machine shops in Richmond. Scottsville, Va., the capital of Powhatan County at that time, was 33 miles west of Richmond. It was situated on elevated ground on the dividing ridge between Appomattox and James River. It contained several stores and mechanic shops but only about 200 inhabitants.

      "In March and April of 1843 John J. was teaching school in Covington, Allegheny County, Va. He worked with his brother, Alexander, at Elk Furnace May to August 1843. In August 1843 through January 1844 he was teaching school at Sweet Springs, Monroe County, Va. McCullough's Universal Gazetter, compiled in 1843, lists Sweet Springs as one of the oldest watering places in Virginia. It states, "The water resembles the Bristol Hot Wells, England. It has accommodations for 300 persons. The waters are slightly acidulous in taste, and sparkle like champaign, and are efficacious in many complaints. The temperature is 70 of Fahrenheit. It sends forth a large stream filling two plunging baths, and turns a mill, 200 yards from its source." John also conducted a Sabbath School during the period he was teacHing in Sweet Springs.

      "In 1843 William was 21 years old and was in business with a Mr. Craig, who owned a store. He then discontinued his business with Mr. Craig and searched for another position. Franklin in 1843 and 1844 was teaching school part time and also attending school whenever he was not employed.
      "By the end of January 1844 John J. had discontinued teaching and gone into business with Alexander. The iron business soon began to decline due to the advent of the railroads. John and Alexander had a number of horses, which were used on the farm as well as some boat mules. The mules were used to tow the canal boats with their metal. They now made an effort to sell the farm, furnace, horses and mules in preparation for closing out the business. Their horses were sent back to Poplar Grove for their Uncle Franklin to sell. The sale of the business was slow to materialize due to the extremely hard times at that period. Meanwhile they continued to run the iron business and manage the farm.

      "In 1845 John and Alexander opened up a new business in Lynchburg, Va., which is about 116 miles west by south of Richmond. Lynchburg was named for John Lynch, who inherited a large property there. He established a ferry across the James River in 1757. In 1793 Lynchburg had but five houses. It was incorporated in 1805. "In 1843 it contained seven churches, 124 stores, six public warehouses for tobacco, 22 tobacco factories, one large cotton factory, one iron foundry, three large flouring mills, fifteen classical schools, six large hotels, 1000 dwellings, and a population of 6395. The James River and Kanawha Canal was in operation from Lynchburg to Richmond. Forty freight boats of from 60 to 100 lbs. burthen, were employed on the canal. Lynchburg had an extensive trade with the north, northwest and south parts of the state." In Lynchburg, John and Alexander, operated grist mills. Both corn and wheat were ground. They had their own freight boats to transport these products. In March 1845 they had asked their brother, Franklin, to come to Lynchburg and be the miller. The two brothers continued on in business here until 1848, and then Franklin joined them. A letter written to John J., April 1, 1848, states that John and Franklin were operating the furnace and farm and Alexander was contemplating going to California as soon as all business could be closed out "A letter of October 4, 1848, states that John J. had opened a store in Stapleton, Va., supposedly to sell the mill products. January 2, 1849, John is still at Stapleton and Alexander back at Elk Furnace, completing a canal contract for iron, so their business can be terminated. Alexander and Franklin return to Lynchburg. The three brothers are still considering the closing of the business and then moving to California.

      "A letter from Nannie Waddell to John J., dated January 9, 1853, and addressed to Staunton, Va., shows that John must have been in that area at the time of his mother's death. A letter from Nannie dated, December 2, 1853, mentions John being in Scottsville, Va., perhaps closing out some details of his business.

      "In 1854 both John J. and Franklin had removed to Lewisburg, Va. Alexander remained in Lynchburg, Va.

      "January 6, 1844, James and William were in business at Scottsville, Va. Business was not very prosperous and the roads were poor between Scottsville and Staunton making it difficult to haul goods to the store. By March 1845 they had sold their store, and by April 1845 both had removed to Lewisburg, Va.

      "The churches the Montgomerys and Nelsons attended were "Old Stone Church of Augusta. This church was built in 1840 and is located about 8 miles north of Staunton on the Valley turnpike. Rev. John Craig was its first Presbyterian Minister. Rev. William Brown was pastor from 1836 until Rev. F. M. Brown took his place. This church was also used as a fort during the Indian wars.

      "Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church. It is on the triple forks of the Shenandoah, near the village of Fishersville. In the early days the Presbyterians of Staunton used to worship here.

      "Rocky Spring Presbyterian Church, which is situated near Deerfield in the Big Calf Pasture."

  • Sources 
    1. [S2627] Data from family records and research of Bess C. Aubel.

    2. [S324] World Family Tree Vol. 175, Ed. 1, MyFamily.com, Inc., (Release date: April-2005 Customer pedigree.).