Matches 1 to 50 of 22,521
|1||Douglas, Henrietta (I1034)
|2||Gaudin, Emma Euphemia (I41129)
|3||Douglas, Frederick Molesworth Sholto (I108492)
|4||McKenzie, Euphemia (I169625)
|5||McLean [MacLean], Christina (I604468)
|6|| LORRAINE S. HAYNE|
HAMPTON- Lorraine Stahl Hsyne, 78, died Wednesday In a Charleston hospital. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday in All Saints Episcopal Church. Burial, directed by Peeples-Rhoden Funeral Home, will be at 3 p.m. In St. John's Episcopal Church Cemetery In Congaree. Mrs. Hayne was born in White Plains, N.Y., a daughter of John Stahl and Mary Stahl. She was a volunteer wltb the Red Cross blood program and Lowcountry animal protection organlzations. She was a member of Beta Sigma Phi Sorority and the Order of the Eastern Star. She was a member of All Saints and St. John's churches and was the widow of Dr. James A. Hayne, Surviving are two sons, James A. Hayne III of Hampton and John C. Foster of Varnville; three daughters, Margaret Curtis and Lorraine Larisey, both of Hampton, and Mary P. Foster of Mount Pleasant; 12 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
|Stahl, Lorrainne Evelyn (I598253)
|7|| Mrs. Moores Dead|
Mrs. W.H. Moores, one of the best known ladies of Bowie County, died Friday night at her home at Redwater. The cause of her death was heart disease. Mrs. Moores was the mother of Mr. William Moores, Treasurer-elect of Bowie county, and a lady held in the highest esteem by all who knew her.
The remains were brought to this city yesterday and taken to the residence of Mr. Fontaine, 615 Wood street, from which place the funeral will occur this afternoon at 8 o'clock, the interment being at Rose Hill.
|Thorn, Mary Lunsford (I597105)
|8||C.||Hicklin, James Cloud (I104555)
David E. Jeffccoat, 55, died Saturday.
Born in Richland County, he was a 1962 graduate of Clemson University and was assistant to the vice president of commercial operations at the Santee Cooper power plant. He was past president of the Berkeley Clemson Club, a Rotarian, and a recipient of the Paul Harris Fellow Award. He was a member of Seaside Masonic Lodge No. 419, the Shrine Club of Myrtle Beach, St. Michael Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church Men's Club.
Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Lorraine Hayne Jeffcoat; sons, David E. Jeffcoat of Omaha, Neb., and Jay and Robert Jeffcoat of Pinopolis; and brothers, Clarence B. Jeffcoat of Pinopolis and Ross Jeffcoat of Hampton.
Services will be at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Michael Lutheran Church, with burial at 3 p.m. at Fairfax Cemetery of Fairfax.
Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society.
The family is at the residence.
Russell Funeral Chapel is in charge.
|Jeffcoat, David Eugene (I599052)
|10|| Margaret Hayne Foster, 36, died at the Columbia hospital at midnight Saturday after an illness of several months.|
She was the widow of John C. Foster, who died December 17, 1950. She was born in Congaree, July 13, 1914, the daughter ol Fannie Thorn Hayne and Dr. James A. Hayne. She had lived there throughout most of her life, until she moved to Bennettsville about a year and a half ago. Since the death of Mr. Foster, she had lived at Congaree.
She was a member of St. John's Episcopal church ot Congaree. Educated in the schools of Lower Richland, she attended Coker college upon graduation from high school.
She is survived by two daughters, Margaret Hayne Foster and Mary Preston Foster, and one son, John C. Foster, Jr.; her mother and father, Dr. and Mrs. Hayne; two brothers. Dr. Isaac Hayne of Congaree and Dr. James Adams Hayne of Allendale; two sisters, Mrs. P. G. Hasell and Miss Lillah Hayne; one aunt, Miss Sue Thorn, who made her home with Mrs. Hayne, and numerous other relatives.
Funeral services will be held from St. John's Episcopal church of Congaree at 12 noon today, conducted by the Rev. B. Duval Chambers, rector of the church, assisted by the Rev. Kenneth Morris, rector of St. John's Episcopal church of Columbia, and the Rev. R. C. Beard of Bennettsville. Interment will be in the church yard.
The following active pallbearers have been requested to meet at the home at 11:40 this morning: Dr. C.T. Weston, A. Mason Gibbes, Ross McKenzie, Talley Moore, Thomas Moore and Thomas Hopkins.
Honorary pallbearers will be: Dr. Ralph Foster, Charles C. Foster, Joe Foster, Dr. George McCutcheon, Dr. Graham Shaw, Hamlin Beattie, P. G. Hasell, George W. Davis, J. P. Darby, Harry Bates Darby, Lindsay Arthur, Eddie R. Finley and H. G. Hilderbrandt.
The body will be at the home of Dr. and Mrs. James A. Hayne at Congaree.
|Hayne, Margaret Johnston (I600184)
|11|| "A clipping dated May 28, 1955 (newspaper not identified) contains the following:|
"Golden Wedding Day Approaching
"Wednesday, June 1, will be the Golden Wedding Day of Mr. And Mrs. Thomas Senior, well known North Sewickley township residents, who tomorrow will quietly mark the occasion with a family get-together. No other celebration of the happy event is planned because of Mrs. Senior's frail health. Their marriage took place Jue 1, 1905 in Unionville and the couple immediately went to housekeeping in North Sewickley township where they have resided ever since. Mrs. Senior is the former Minnie McCreary. They are members of Concord Methodist Church and Mr. Senior still engages in farming. The Seniors have nine sons and daughters...."
|McCreary, Minnie Augusta (I145945)
|12|| "Martha married George Holland..... They lived on a farm near Laclede, Mo. for a while.|
"The Geo. Hollands made their first trip to Texas in 1868. They had three small children then - Janie, Henry and Lizzie. Edley Maxwell and family went with them.....
"It was July and very hot. They traveled in covered wagons and suffered terribly from the heat - especially going through Kansas which was dry and barren, water scarce and few houses.
"When they reached Calhoun, Henry Co., Mo. they stopped to visit the Mike Whitleys. Lutisha Whitley had recently married her cousin, Bill Maxwell, and they were living there too.
"The Geo. Hollands came back to Mo. in July 1871. They stopped to see Edley Maxwell in Bates Co., then the Mike Whitleys in Henry County. They found them very said for Aunt Jane Whitley had just died.
"The Hollands came on to Linn Co. and bought a farm ˝ mi. north of the Bruner School House, 2 ˝ mi. northeast of Laclede, Mo. They lived there four years.
"In 1874 they sold their farm and went back to Texas. A railroad had been built and this time Martha and the children went on the train. Dock Maxwell and his wife Georgia went with them. George Holland drove through with a team and wagon.
"They lived in Texas and raised their family there near Denison. Later they moved near Durant, Okla. - then the Indian Ter. In 1924 they moved to Arch, New Mexico where they lived the rest of their life."
|Maxwell, Martha Lutisha (I149532)
|13|| "MATHEW OF LLANDAFF, RADIR, &c. This very ancient and|
long-continuing family derived from Gwilym, son of Gwaethfoed, Lord of Cardigan, by Morfydd, dau. of Ynyr, King of Gwent, through Gruffydd Gethin, ranked as tenth from Gwaethfoed, Ivan ap Gruffyd Gethin, who m. Cecil, dau. and heiress of Watkin Llewelyn of Llandaff, of the lineage of Iestyn ap Gwrgant. He settled at Llandaff. His son, Mathew Ivan Gruffydd, and his grandson, David Mathew, introduced the surname which never ceased for twelve generations. They intermarried with the Flemings of Flemingston, Morgans of Tredegar, Gamages of Coity, Stradlings of St. Donat's, &c., and branched off at early periods into the vigorous families of Mathew of Castell Menych (Monk's Castle) and Mathew of Radir, Mathew of Aberaman, and Mathew of Sweldom and Llancaiach, all of whom are now extinct. The house of Llandaff supplied sheriffs for Glamorgan in the years 1546, 1769, and member of Parliament in the person of Thomas Mathew, father and son, in 1744, 1756. This same Thomas Mathew, sen., of Llandaff, was Rear-Admiral and Admiral of the White; and Thomas the son was a major in the army. In his election he polled 954 votes against 212 given for his 'opponent,' Charles Van, Esq. By his wife, Anne, dau. of Robert Knight, Esq. of Sutturn, he had, besides several other children, a son, also named Thomas Mathew, Esq., of Llandaff, the sheriff of 1769, who d. 1771, s.p. The Mathews of Llandaff bore the arms of Gwaethfoed - Or, a lion rampant regardant sa., crowned gu.
"MATHEW OF RADIR. The same in descent with the foregoing, and branching off from Llandaff with Thomas, third son of David, who has been described as first settling the surname of Mathew. Thomas m. Cate, dau. and co-h. of Morgan Llewelyn ap Ivan. Their eldest son was William, who became Sir William Mathew, Kt., of Radir. He was succeeded by his son Sir George Mathew, Kt. This family supplied several sheriffs for the co. of Glamorgan; ex. gr., William Mathew, 1567, do., 1579; Henry Mathew, 1589; Thomas Mathew 1613.
"Edmund Mathew, Esq. of Radir, a younger brother, succeeded his two elder brothers, who d.s.p., as possessor of the estates, and was himself succeeded by his eldest son, George Mathew, who m. a dau. of Sir John Pornes, Kt., who was the widow of the Earl of Ormond, and had a son, Theobald Mathew, Esq., who is called in "J.H.'s Ms. 'Lord of Bishopstown and Llandaffe,' not of Radir. He m. three times and had George, two other sons, and daus., but we discover no traces of their further history. Theobald Mathew d. AD 1700. No little confusion exists in the MSS. respecting the marriages and successions of these later Mathews of Radir; but about the high position and influence of the family in this co. there cannot be a doubt."
Another source says, in part:
"MATHEW, Lord LANDAFF. Edward Mathew, or ap-Mathew, anceftor to this noble Lord, refisded at Rader in the county of Glamorgan about the year 1660, where he inherited a good eftate, principally confifting of chiefries, being the remains of an ample fortune pofeffed by his anceftors from time immemorial; he was alfo poffeffed of the town of Landaff in fame county, where the prefent Lord, in whom it now vefts, takes his title. - He left iffue a fon George, who became feated at Thurles in county of Tipperary, took to wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Pointz of Acton in county of Gloucefter, Bart. (relict of Thomas Butler Vifcount Thurles, who died before his father Walter eleventh Earl of Ormond) and by this lady was anceftor to the families of Thurles, Thomaftown and Annfield, which eftates vefter in thie prefent Lord; the faid George deceafed at Tymby in October, 1636 having had iffue one daughter Elizabeth, and two fons, viz: Theobald or Toby, his heirs; and George....."
"Sir Edmund Mathew, M.D., Sheriff, 1592. Succeeded to all the estates of his father; m. the dau. and heir of Bartholomew Skerne, of Long Ashton; ob. 1660, aged 102. He cast ordnance for Spain at his furnaces near Cardiff."
|Mathew, Edmund (I148967)
|14||An amateur boxer and the creator of the famous "Queensbury Rules".||Douglas, John Sholto (Marquis 9th of Queensbury) (I108275)
|15|| An undated newspaper clipping furnished by Janice (Mrs. Leland)|
Marshall, sheds some light on the deaths of the two Marshall children:
" Marshall Babies Killed In Crash
" Other Members of Clair Marshall Family
" Seriously Injured in Head-on Collision
"Warren, Pa., July 7. - Two babies were killed and eight persons injured Monday in a head-on collision of two automobiles on Route 77 near Garland, about 20 miles west of here.
"The dead were Eugene Marshall, 18 months old, and David Marshall, 5 months old, children of Mr. and Mrs. Clair Marshall, who were moving from Blooming Valley to their new home at Wellsboro.
"The injured were Mr. and Mrs. Marshall, who were critically hurt; two other children of their, Gussie, 11, and Gracie, 8; Elva Bemis, 51; George Geer, 64; Levi Warner, and Clayton Buchanan, all of Barnes. Three escaped injury.
"State Motor Policeman K. W. Leeper said Warner's car went out of control when he swerved onto the soft berm to let another machine pass. It then careened into the Marshall car, wrecking both."
|Marshall, Clair Eugene (I145958)
|16|| CSA. 6th Florida Infantry-- Doctor.|
Joseph S. M. Davidson had a drugstore on NE corner of E. side of
Courthouse Square in Quincy. A 2-story frame building; 1st floor was an
office and apothecary.
Between 1869 & 1874, he moved to Charlotte, Mecklenburg Co., NC.
His last two children were born there to wife #2.
Listed in this family in 1860 Gadsden Co., FL Census were,
Sarah F. Davidson, age 52, B. 1808 in NC
Margaret Blake, age 25, B. 1835 in NC.
From, "Marriage & Death Notices from Western Carolinian (Salisbury), 1820-
1842" by Topkins, also "Marriage & Death Notices, 1799-1825" by Broughton:
Sarah F. (Frew) Davidson,dau. of Wm.*Davidson of Charlotte mar-
ried in Charlotte to Thomas Johnson, MD late of Petersburg, VA 9 Sept
Return 21 Sept 1824.
Harriett E. Davidson, dau. of Wm. Davidson of Charlotte married to
Dr. David t. Caldwell 30 Mar 1826 in Charlotte. Return 11 Apr 1826.
Margaret A. Davidson married to James H. Blake of Washington,
DC 13 Sept 1820 in Mecklenburg Co., NC.
*The above 3 were daus. of Wm. & Sarah Frew Davidson, she
the widow of Thomas Davidson, an uncle of Wm. who died in 1800. (Refer to
the document, "William Davidson of Mecklenburg Co., NC" for details of
family.) Wm.'s wife Sarah Frew Davidson died in 1812.
J.S.M.'s first wife was Harriett Josephine Blake, dau. of Margaret &
James Blake. Margaret Blake (B.1835) was another dau. of J. & M. Blake.
It is not known at this time if Blake had died nor the circumstances which
brought Margaret and her aunt Sarah F. to FL. It is also not known if
Johnson had died or if he & Sarah F. were divorced. OR why Sarah F.
the surname of "Davidson".
SOURCES OF INFORMATION
1850 & 1860 Gadsden Co., FL Census. 1880 Mecklenburg Co., NC Census.
1880 Mecklenburg Co., NC Census lists J.S.M. Davidson as a Druggist
living in the 1st. Ward of Charlotte.
|Davidson, Joseph Sylvester M. (I600040)
|17|| Full name: Robert Hamilton McWhorter Davidson|
CSA Service: Capt. commanding Co. "A", 6th FL Inf. Organized Co.'s
" C" into 6th FL Regt. Promoted to Maj. then Lt. Col.
Seriously wounded at Dalton, GA (after Chickamauga).
Civ.Service: 1856-1859. State Representative from Gadsden Co.
1860-1861. " Senator "
25 Oct 1866 Delegate to First Constitutional Convention (FL)
to revise Constitution.
1871-1873. Trustee of Quincy Academy during reorganization of
Gadsden Co. schools.
1880. Trustee of Quincy #1 School (along with D. W. Nicholson)
1882-1883. Congressman from FL during
Reconstruction. Lawyer & Democrat.
This Robert Hamilton M. Davidson was the second to bear the name. The
first was his uncle, brother of John Matthew Winslow Davidson, both of
whom were early settlers of Gadsden Co.
|Davidson, Robert Hamilton M. (I597523)
|18|| My great grandfather was William Mochrie Douglass. He was born on the eighth of December 1835 in Glasgow Scotland. His mother died when he was eight years old. he joined the church when he was fifteen eyars old in Scotland. his father did not join the church.|
William Douglass came across the ocean with some friends when he was eighteen years old. The voyage across the ocean was very rough. Disease broke out among the people and a great many of them died and were buried at sea. He landed in New York in 1852. He went to Nauvoo, Illinois and crossed the plains with a group of saints. He was a strong determined boy and he walked most of the way. When he got to Salt Lake City he worked for two years, then he established a mercantile business. His father had been a merchant in Scotland.
William Douglass was sent to Smithfield with a group of Saints to help colonize towns. He was married to Cynthiann Merrill on the ninth of November in 1862 in Smithfield. Their first child was born in a wheat bin before his log cabin was built. He built a store in Smithfield and he and his family lived in the back rooms. When had had two children in 1868 he was set apart by Brigham Young as a Seventy to go on a mission to his homeland in Scotland. When he arrived in Scotland he learned that his father had been dead for two years. He tried to convert his stepmother and his two sisters to the gospel and bring them back to America with him. His stepmother was old and didn't want to leave her homeland. There were so many more women converts than men, as Brigham Young wanted these missionaries to bring back another wife. William Douglass brought back a woman but did not marry her until 1872. When he returned home from his mission in 1870 he enlarged his store and became quite wealthy. He operated a freight line to the mines in Montana. They had several teams of mules on each wagon. This trip took about one month. He was paid for his supplies in gold dust. They also kept a small scale in the store for weighing gold dust. They were some times paid in produce for supplies.
William Douglass was a lover of good music. He purchased the first piano that was shipped into Smithfield. There was a large room above the store and every Saturday night eight men would carry the piano up the stairs and they would have a public dance.
William Douglass had eleven children by his first wife and ten children by his second wife. He sent a son on a mission to New Zeland in 1893. Soon after this boy returned home from his mission he passed away.
When William Douglass became older he became a great checker player. He played checkers in the barber shop before a large crowd. He died in Smithfield in 1916 on July 29th, at the age of eighty-one.
Written by William (Billy) Douglas Miles in May, 1960.
|Douglass, William Mochrie (I170711)
" Elizabeth Maxwell
"The sudden death of Mrs. Elizabeth Maxwell, of this city, last Wednesday, was quite unexpected, she having complained only of an acute pain in her side, which was not considered serious.
"Mrs. Maxwell was the mother of our young townsman, Joseph Maxwell, and the wife of the late Wm. Maxwell, who died only eight months ago. Since the death of her husband, she had been living with her daughter, four miles southwest of this city, until Thursday of last week, when she came to town to reside with her son.
"Mrs. Maxwell was nearing her eightieth birthday and when she passed away death came like the quiet of sleep. The funeral services were preached at the residence, on Dake's addition, Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. Charles K. Hoyt, of the Presbyterian church, conducting the service."
|Sensintaffar, Elizabeth (I149517)
|20|| Obituary of Elizabeth Boots, from an undated newspaper clipping:|
"Died this morning. Mrs. Elizabeth Boots, wife of John S. Boots, of upper Fifth street, died this morning at 7 o'clock, from scarlet fever, with which she had been suffering for the past week. She was 28 years of age and was the eldest daughter of R. H. McPherson, of Tenth avenue. She leaves beside her husband, four children, the youngest being but a week old. The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock.
"Deceased was a member of the M. E. church, and her daily life was consistent with her profession. The family have the sympathy of all in their bereavement."
|McPherson, Elizabeth (I2867)
|21|| OBITUARY of Eva Jane Frazier Swick.|
"Death came suddenly to Mrs. Eva Jane Frazier Swick, wife of Samuel O. Swick, of North Sewickley township, at her home, at 2 o'clock Tuesday morning, April 29, 1919. Mrs. Swick was in the 46th year of her age. She is survived by her husband, one daughter - Mrs. Eugene Wise - and three sons: Frank, Fred and Orrin Swick. She was a lifelong resident of North Sewickley township, and for many years an active, consecrated member of Concord church. Always ready to turn her hand to any and every good work of the church and community she will be greatly missed by all who worked with her. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Brown, pastor of the Christian Missionary Alliance. Rev. Arthur Jackson assisted in the other services. The interment was at Concord cemetery, May 1st, 1919."
|Frazier, Eva Jane (I145973)
|22|| The Marquis died when he shot himself (whether accidentally or not|
is uncertain) with his own gun while out hunting rabbits.
|Douglas, Archibald William (8th Marquis of Queensbury) (I108327)
|23|| The Obituary of Dr. Vernon Swick reads, in part:|
"Dr. H. Vernon Swick, son of Mr. & Mrs. George B. Swick met his untimely and tragic death August 1, 1949 when he slipped from his cabin cruiser into Lake Erie.
"From birth, January 25, 1913, Concord was his church home with the exception of four years spent in Shippenville. When he graduated from high school he was accorded a unique honor when, at 16, he was appointed to teach his own Sunday School class of teen-age boys. He faithfully fulfilled that duty as well as assuming the presidency of the Epworth League during his four years of pre-medical work at Geneva College. Upon entering Temple University Medical School his active participation ceased but he never lost interest in his church or childhood friends.
"He with his wife, the former Elba Lang, whom he had married in Concord Church in July 1938 and their son Tyco returned to the community in 1941 to take over the practice of his uncle, the late Dr. J. Howard Swick who had suffered a heart attack.
"At the time of his death he was a resident urologist at St. Vincent's Hospital where he had served his internship two years before.
""It can be truly said of Dr. Swick that he was a cultured, refined gentleman with a high sense of honor, a great charm of manner and showed evidence during his special training of becoming highly skilled and proficient in the specialty which he was near prepared to practice. He was much respected and admired by the professional men with whom he was associated"* and the neighbors and friends with whom he lived.
"Funeral services were conducted August 18 by Concord's Rev. Dwight Townsend who paid Dr. Swick this tribute in poetry: "He had faith in God, himself and fellow men, perchance he never thought in terms of creed. I only know he lived a life, in deed!"
"*Quoted from In Memoriam as it appeared in the Pennsylvania Medical Journal and sent in sympathy to his wife and parents."
|Swick, Dr. H. Vernon (I145999)
|24|| This collection of 105 manuscripts supplements Martha's lively 1887 diary of her student days at Columbia Female College and gives a fuller picture of this young woman who died at the untimely age of twenty-six. Martha was a native of Blackstock, SC, near the Fairfield-Chester line. Her letters, which date from her school years through her career as a schoolteacher, reveal interesting and uncommon ambitions, including the study of medicine. She read her physician grandfather's medical books and considered applying to a women's medical college in New York. In 1895, she became dissatisfied with her teaching options, so she contacted the Chester County delegation and tried to get a clerk's job at the convention drafting South Carolina's new constitution.|
Martha kept in touch with a large following of cousins, friends, and suitors; local family names like Banks, Doty, Thompson, Beaty, Rast, and Brice appeared among her correspondents. Fitzhugh Banks, a Presbyterian clergyman, wrote her constantly from the Columbia Theological Seminary and later from his pastorates in Louisiana and Mississippi. On 25 October 1893 he described his visit to the Chicago World's Fair: "The Electricity Building was ablaze with lights of every shade of color. The fountains sent up illuminated columns of spray as varied in hue as the colors of the rainbow."
In 1891, Martha visited her sister near Texarkana, Texas, and described her stay in the "wild west." One epistle to M. W. Doty in Winnsboro (28 July 1891) hinted that her Southern charm captivated even critics of the "lost cause": "Miss Tyson returned yesterday, and Mr. Kane left on the same train for Hot Springs and a trip North to his relatives. He certainly expects to make 'pop calls' as he said he would return in two weeks. He has been right friendly with me since our disagreeable little chat some time ago over the North and South. I think I wrote you about it. . . . The noted infidel, J. D. Hall, died some days ago in Texarkana. He was originally from Edgefield, S.C. He has been living here for a number of years, and has made money on whole sale groceries."
Despite her circle of ardent admirers, Martha never married. Perhaps she had not abandoned her dreams of medical school. (The admissions officer had advised her to save up tuition beforehand, not to work her way through.) Or she may have thought along the same lines as the young woman acquaintance who wrote her in October 1895. "I have no thought of taking the fatal step soon. Life is too pleasant just as it is to tamper with it-let well enough alone. Somehow I've got it into my head that Amelia Rivers' definition of married life is a really true one-'champagne with the sparkle off."'
While teaching school at Van Wyck, S. C., Martha suddenly fell victim to a bout of "hemorrhagic fever, or as it is sometimes called 'yellow chills."' She died on 20 November 1895. The last items in the collection are letters of condolence to her mother and sisters.
|Thorn, Martha McCrorey (I597124)
|25|| "George Wade was one of the earliest citizens of Columbia. He had|
been born in North Carolina and had moved to Lancaster County, from which
section he had entered the Revolution as captain of a company. In
Columbia he became owner of many squares of land, especially in the
southwestern section; his home is said to have been near the northwest
corner of Main and Green Streets. He was one of the incorporators of the
Columbia Male academy and of the Presbyterian church and in 1797 one of
the town commissioners. His wife, Mary McDonald, died August 22, 1779. He
married again Mrs. Martha Center, widow of Nathan Center (died in 1783),
a sister of Col. Thomas Taylor. When he died in 1824 he was buried, it is
said, in the Taylor graveyard; his grave is unmarked." History of
Richland County by Edwin L. Green."
AUTO-BIOGRAPHY OF GEORGE WADE (1747-1823
George Wade was born in North Carolina in Granville County on Shoco
Creek, on the 29th of May 1747. His father moved to South Carolina and
settled on Lynches Creek in the first of the year 1754. Here he was
raised and resided most of his life until he married the eldest daughter
of Daniel McDonald, Mary (Polly) which was on the 18th of November 1766.
He lived with her until the 22nd August 1779 when she departed this life.
Then he remained single until the 28th October 1784, when he married
Martha Center, the widow of Nathan Center. Lived with her until the 13th
Jan. 1816, when she departed this life.
When first married was 19 years, 5 months, 19 days old. Lived with
first wife 12 years 3 months & 3 days, had 3 sons and 2 daughters. Was a
widower 5 years 3 months and 7 days, and then married the 2nd wife, had
one son- lived with her 31 years. (Courtesy: Mr. Thomas M. Wade, Jr. 717
East 8th Street, El Dorado, Arkansas, 71730, 1969/70, who states: The
above was taken from a manuscript written by George Wade, and copied from
a manuscript written by Dr. Walter Wade, Jefferson County, Mississippi,
grandson of George Wade).
In the manuscript of Dr. Walter Wade is written: "Mr. George Wade died
24 November 1823, aged 76 years 6 months."
McDonald, Kimball, Wade, Leak, by Beatrice Mackey Doughtie page 377.
|Wade, George (I596559)
|26|| Household Record 1880 United States Census|
William W. CASE Self M Male W 40 N.J. Clergyman N.Y. N.J.
Mary E CASE Wife M Female W 41 PENN. Keeping House GERMANY GERMANY
Lizzie E. CASE Dau S Female W 12 PENN. At Home N.J. PENN.
Anna C. CASE Dau S Female W 10 PENN. N.J. PENN.
Mary V. CASE Dau S Female W 6 PENN. N.J. PENN.
Census Place Hamilton, Mercer, New Jersey
Family History Library Film 1254789
NA Film Number T9-0789
Page Number 540D
Wm W. Case found in:
Census Microfilm Records: Pennsylvania, 1870
Locale: 22-WD 73-DIST
Go to Page Data Introduction
William W. Case found in:
Census Microfilm Records: New Jersey, 1910
Age: 41 ( I looked at the image--age is listed as 81--not 41, but he is listed as Baptist Minister with Wife, Mary Etta) Address was 726 Mulberry St Trenton, NJ
State: New Jersey
Locale: 8-WD TRENTON
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Volume 128
Miss Elizabeth E. Case.
DAR ID Number: 127566
Born in Philadelphia, Pa.
Descendant of Joshua Case, Lieut. Joseph Case and Stephen Mead, as follows:
1. William Wickham Case (1839-1915) m. 1866 Mary Etta Kline (b. 1838).
2. John Budd Case (1814-86) m. 1838 Eliza Wickham (1821-48).
3. John Case (1794-1844) m. 1808 Mary Mead (b. 1787).
4. Joseph Case m. 3d Esther Budd (1747-1841); Ebenezer Mead (1763-1835). m. 1784 Hannah Van Fleet (b. 1764).
5. Joshua Case m. Elizabeth Dickerson; Stephen Mead m. Mary Inman.
Joshua Case (1722-77) served as private in the Morris County, New Jersey militia. He was born in Roxbury; died in Succasunna, N. J.
Also No. 92143.
[p.186] Joseph Case (1747-1811) served, 1780, as second lieutenant in the company of Capt. Joseph Conkling, Col. Jesse Woodhull's regiment, Orange County, NY militia. He was born in Roxbury; died in Unionville, N. Y.
Also No. 106118.
Stephen Mead served as private in the 2d regiment, Major Meeker's battalion, Sussex County, New Jersey militia. He died, 1779, at the battle of Minisink.
|Case, Rev. William Wickham (I126022)
|27||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld.||Foster, Mary Preston (I596336)
|28||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld.||Foster, John Cantzon (I596210)
|29|| John Coming Ball (1714-1764). Son of Elias Ball; son-in-law of John|
Gendron (1690-1754); father-in-law of Keating Simons, Benjamin Smith
(1735-1790), and Henry Smith (1727-1780); brother-in-law of John Ashby
(1698-1729), George Austin, Philip Dawes, John Gendron (d.1755), Henry
Laurens (1724-1792), and John Vicaridge.
John Coming Ball was born in South Carolina, the younger and favorite
son of Elias Ball by his first wife, Elizabeth Harleston. Following his
mother's death in 1720, he was sent to Charleston for schooling, where he
studied arithmatic under a Mr. Newberry and took dancing lessons. He wed
Catherine Gendron, daughter of John Gendron and Elizabeth Mazyck, in
1742. Four of their six children reached maturity: Elias, Elizabeth (m.
Henry Smith), Catherine (m. Benjamin Smith), and Ann (m. Richard Waring).
Catherine Gendron Ball died 23 September 1755, and 10 months later Ball
married Judith Boisseau, a widow, by whom he had five children. Of these,
only John Coming and Eleanor (m. 1st John Wilson, 2nd Keating Simons),
born six months after her father's death, survived.
Ball inherited 1,270 acres at Three Mile Head and 800 acres in Hell
Hole Swamp from his father, purchased 8,889 acres himself, and obtained a
3,500 acre grant. These lands were located in the parishes of St. James
Santee, St. John Berkely, and St. Stephen in the vicinity of the eastern
branch of the Cooper River and Hell Hole and Wambaw swamps. In addition,
he and his brother-in-law Henry Laurens entered into a plantation
partnership and bought 3,000 acres in Wambaw Swamp.
From Hyde Park, his 600 acre resident plantation on the eastern branch
of the Cooper River, Ball managed his own tremendous holdings, supervised
the operations of the Wambaw partnership, and maintained a close watch on
the actions of the overseer at Laurens' Mepkin. In conjunction with his
planting, he had an interest in two schooners, the WAMBAW and the
SPEEDWELL. Considering the magnitude of his planting responsibilities, it
is understandable that he found little time for public duties. He was
elected to the Commons House in 1751 from St. John Berkely, but as had
his father, he declined to serve. In 1738 he was admitted to the South
At the time of his death 4 October 1765 John Coming Ball was a highly
successful planter as indicated by the acreage he owned.
|Ball, John Coming (I601451)
|30|| Lillah Adams was the only surviving child of James Pickett Adams. She|
was a graduate of Southern Home School in Baltimore. The family called
her "Chere Maman". Lillah was given Wavering Place by her father, and was
|Adams, Elizabeth (Lillah) (I599186)
|31|| Morgan Jones Craig, the son and first child of Alexander Bell Craig (1886- 1963) and Mary Fleath Brown Craig ( I 896-1993), was born in Chester on July 19, 1920. He was named for his great-uncle, Samuel Morgan Jones (1855- 1931) with whom his family lived.|
He was educated in the Chester schools and graduated from Presbyterian College, Clinton, SC. During World War II, he served in the US Army for four and one-half years, with overseas duty in the Pacific Theatre. He attended Command and general Staff School, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and was awarded the Bronze Star for meritorious service. After being discharged from the Army, he continued service to his country as a Reserve Officer. He attained the rank of lieutenant-colonel.
Morgan returned home and established Radio Station WGCD in Chester, which he and his father owned and operated. He was a registered professional engineer, constructing several other radio stations, including WLCM in Lancaster, and a television station in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Later he was connected with Technical Associates of Charlotte, NC.
He was named the first Young Man of the Year by the Chester Jaycees. He also served as president of the Chester Chamber of Commerce. Morgan and several other community leaders were instrumental in starting the Chester County Guernsey Festival, which was an annual event for several years. Morgan gave unselfishly of his time and talents to his church (Purity Presbyterian), his community and his friends. After an illness of several months he died on August 9, 1964 at the age of forty-four. He is buried in tile family plot at Evergreen Cemetery. Submitted by: Mary Brown C. Powell.
|Craig, Morgan Jones (I601928)
|32|| Mrs. Fannie Douglass Thorn Hayne, 95, of Wavering Place, Congaree, widow of Dr. James Adams Hayne, died Thursday at her residence.|
Funeral services will be at 3 p.m. saturday in St. John's Episcopal Church in Congaree, conducted by the Rev. R. HouseaI Norris.
Mrs. Hayne was born in Blackstock, daughter of the late William Thorn and Frances Douglass Thorn.
She was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church at Congaree.
Mrs. Hayne's husband was for many years a South Carolina State Health Officer. He was also considered to be a national leader in the field of Public Health.
Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Philip G. Hasell of Columbia and Miss Lillah Adams Hayne of tbe home; two sons, Dr. Isaac Hayne of Congaree and Dr. James Adams Hayne of Hampton; and a number of grandchildren; and great-grandchildren.
Pallbearers will be Isaac Hayne Jr., Billy Thorn Hayne, John Foster, George Davis, Pete Hasell and Theodore Darby.
The family suggests that those who wish may make memorials to the Catholic Presbyterian Church ln Blackstock or St. John's Episcopal Church in Congaree. Dunbar Funeral Home is in charge.
|Thorn, Frances Douglass (I602389)
|33|| Mrs. J. Preston Darby, 36, of Congaree died at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon at the Columbia hospital after an extended illness. She was formerly Miss Mary Lunsford Hayne, daughter of Dr. James A. Hayne, state health officer, and Mrs. Hayne of Congaree.|
Funeral services will be held at St. John's Episcopal church, of which she was a lifelong member, at Congaree. Further arrangements were incomplete last night.
Mrs. Darby taught for several years at the children's hospital at State Park. She was greatly interested in the work there and was deeply loved by her pupils.
She was educated in the schools of Congaree and at Ashley Hall, Charleston. She taught at Congaree before taking up her work at the children's hospital, which she continued until her last illness.
Mrs. Darby was popular in Columbia society. She had many friends and relatives here and because of her charming personality and lovable character was held in highest esteem.
In 1928 she married Mr. Darby, who survives. Also surviving are her parents; two sons, John Preston Darby, Jr., and Theodore Brevard Hayne Darby; one daughter, Mary Lunsford Hayne Darby; four sisters, Mrs. P.G. Hasell, Mrs. George W. Davis, and Mrs. J.C. Foster of Columbia, and Miss Lillah Hayne of Congaree; two brothers, Dr. Isaac Hayne of Congaree and Dr. James A. Hayne, Jr., of Ridgeland.
|Hayne, Mary Lunsford (I597182)
|34|| Philip Gadsden Hasell, 80, of 128 S. Ravenel St., died Wednesday at his home.|
Born in Charleston, he was a son of the late Duncan Ingram and Estelle Rhett Hasell. He was a retired civil engineer with the Federal Housing Administration.
He was an Army veteran of World War I and II and a graduate of Porter Military Academy and The Citadel.
Mr. Hasell was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church, the South Carolina Society of Civil Engineers, the American Society of Civil Engineers and St. Cecilia Society of Charleston.
Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Frances Hayne Hasell; two sons, Philip Gadsden Hasell, Jr., of Ann Arbor, Mich., and Adams Hayne Hasell of Columbia; a daughter, Mrs. Jean B.(Frances) LaBorde
of Columbia, and 16 grandchildren.
Services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Friday in St. John's Episcopal Church cemetery at Congaree.
Dunbar Funeral Home Devine Street Chapel is in charge.
Philip Gadsden ("Shrimp") Hasell was born in 1900. He attended private school in Montgomery, Alabama in 1908, but returned to South Carolina the next year to attend Porter Military Academy in Charleston. Following graduation he enrolled in The Citadel from which he graduated in 1920 with a B.S. degree in civil engineering. While attending Porter, he met Theodore Brevard Hayne (1898-1930), of Congaree, South Carolina, and the two young men became roommates at The Citadel. Their friendship was based in part on a mutual interest in mosquito-born diseases, especially malaria, which posed a serious public health concern in South Carolina through the end of World War II. After graduation from The Citadel, Theodore Hayne went on to a distinguished career as a malariologist before attending the Medical College of South Carolina. After medical school, Hayne resumed his work on mosquito-born diseases, and in 1928 he joined the Rockefeller Foundation's International Health Division and was assigned to the West Africa Yellow Fever Commission in Yaba, Nigeria.
In the years immediately after Philip Hasell's graduation from The CItadel in 1920, he worked in various positions with the Standard Oil.Company of New Jersey and the South Carolina Highway Department. Hasell and Theodore Hayne collaborated on a malaria survey in Lake City, Florida, as employees of the Public Health Service in 1922. The following year Hasell attended the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health for a course in Helminthology, Protozoology and Parisitology. From 1923 until 1928 be was employed by the Rockefeller Foundation to work on various projects with the South Carolina Board of Health as a malaria control engineer. He organized a malaria control survey of the Lake Murray Basin before the waters were impounded. After completing his work at Lake Murray, Hasell was in charge of malaria control, water and sewage purification and milk sanitation with the State Board of Health. From 1933 until 1931 Hasell served with the Public Health Service and was responsible for setting up and directing anti-malaria work in South Carolina. Following this assignment, he was in charge of the laboratory and experimental work with the Malaria Research Division of the State Board of Health. In February 1939 he was appointed Sanitary Engineer with the South Carolina Public Service Authority· and was assigned to the Santee-Cooper power and navigation project. Among the records documenting his work on this project are three journals (3 January 1938-31 August 1939; 1 September 1939-29 March 1940; and 1 April-6 December 1940, 24-26 February 1941). These journals record the myriad activities in which Hasell was engaged in his capacity as Sanitary Engineer. For instance, on 13 February 1939 he left Columbia at 6:15 a.m., arrived in Charleston at 9:15, and departed for the Pinopolis area to make a reconnaissance survey "down old canal from Biggin church to West Branch of Cooper river...found plenty of sedes Larvae." In addition to the more serious danger from contracting malaria, his duties entailed other perils for on 13 September 1939 he recorded that he "caught hell last nite with poison oak." He traveled that day and the next, but stayed home in bed for four days from Saturday the 9th until Tuesday the 12th. On the 18th he investigated a complaint about an outbreak of malaria at WPA Camp #1. Only two cases were confirmed and in both instances: the men were infected before arriving at the camp.
Malaria remained a serious public health problem in South Carolina throughout the 1930s. In 1930 malaria was responsible for the deaths of 16 of every 100,000 South Carolinians. Conditions in the rural counties in the lowcountry were far worse than those over the state as a whole. Orangeburg County accounted for more than ten percent of the state's deaths from malaria. These counties were also plagued by high unemployment and law capital investment.
The campaign to eradicate malaria from the five counties affected by the impoundment of the Santee and Cooper rivers is documented in this collection. It contains four hundred sixty-three manuscripts, 1930-1943, 1945; two hundred twenty-six photographs, ca. 1938-1942; seven manuscript volumes, 1930, 1932, 1937-1941; and one hundred fifty-six technical leaflets and other publications, 1914-1958, chiefly issued by the U.S. Public Health Service. In addition to the local population affected by the Santee-Cooper project, some of whom were replaced and relocated while others remained in the area, the Public Service Authority was responsible for more than twenty-five WPA camps housing approximately 6,000 workers. During the four years that Hasell worked with the Public Service Authority, he filed bi-monthly reports of activities. There are also progress reports of Dr. E.M. Rice, Director of the Health and Sanitation Division, and of E.T. Heyward who served as acting director after Rice left for military duty.
Hasell's correspondence and reports reveal the complexity of his job, as he was responsible for a number of different programs, even at one time overseeing the division's fleet of cars and trucks. When Hasell first went to work with the Public Service Authority, the thousands of acres to be covered by the impoundment of the rivers were being cleared. Much of the land was swampy with thick vegetation and trees. Most, if not all, of the photographs in the collection were taken by Hasell and processed by the Jack Rabbit Company in Spartanburg. Some of the photographs were taken before February 1939 when Hasell worked as an engineer with the Malaria Research Division of the State Board of Health. The photographs clearly reveal the magnitude of the task that confronted those involved in clearing the land and constructing dams as well as those who were combatting the mosquito population. The main thrust of the latter effort was to eradicate the mosquito population before the waters were impounded.
Hasell worked primarily in the areas around Pinopolis, Moncks Corner, and St. Stephen. He spent the majority of his time in the field collecting larvae, selecting locations for experimental impoundages, inspecting WPA camps, getting out mosquito traps, and working with local health departments and townspeople. Following a visit to Pinopolis and Moncks Corner in August 1939, he observed--"I would like to note here that the inhabitants of these two communities are rather primitive in the disposal of waste water and the methods used are most conducive to the production of enormous numbers of mosquitoes." After working in the area contiguous to the Santee diversion dam in February 1940, he attributed the slow progress of the work "to the fairly large area, 16 sq. miles of swamp, and the difficulty of traversing the terrain. There are numerous deep sloughs, large creeks, and two rivers to be crossed. Many patches of Myrtles, briars, and other underbrush, including cane brakes, make mapping tedious and retard progress."
Three crews under Hasell's supervision conducted larvicide operations which involved the application of larvicide oil on the surface of pools and ponds to eradicate mosquito larvae. In addition to clearing vegetation, crews dug and tiled drainage ditches and installed screens in houses over a broad area within one mile of the high water mark of the reservoir. WPA workers received typhoid inoculations, and the civilian population was given periodic blood examinations. One survey of African-American school children revealed an exceptionally high incidence of malaria.
With the outbreak of World War II and the active intervention of the United States after Pearl Harbor, many of the personnel who had been involved in the work on the Santee-Cooper project departed for military service. Hasell was becoming restless and was in correspondence with former colleagues who were serving in the military. His eagerness to join the military as a malaria control officer may have influenced his opinion of the work at Santee-Cooper when he wrote a former colleague on 11 March 1942 -"I am afraid to even think of what is going to happen around here this summer with the two reservoirs in the mess they are in. Neither have been properly prepared for impoundment and in addition to this, the water is to be raised in the summer months and still in addition no one in the outfit knows what in the hell it is all about....I am supposed to control malaria, handicapped by a technical staff composed of a Botany teacher from a girl's college, a Clinical Technician from the Baptist Hospital, an ex-bank clerk, and a country boy. None of which has ever had five minutes experience in any phase of public health work, this being their first job." As the work progressed in 1942 and 1943 a reduction in force occurred, and there was evidence of tighter bureaucratization and accountability. By 1943, the main emphasis of the work seemed to be the effort to screen houses within a specified distance of the lands that were to be flooded.
The correspondence and reports cease at the end of 1943, shortly before Philip Hasell left the project to begin training for malaria control work in the U.S. Army.
|Hasell, Phillip Gadsden (I598275)
|35|| Services for Frances Douglass Thorn Hayne Hasell, 93, will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday in St. John's Episcopal Church cemetery of Congaree. Memorials may be made to the church or Converse College. Dunbar Funeral Home, Devine Street Chapel, is in charge.|
Mrs. Hasell, wife of the late Philip Gadsden Hasell, died Friday, Feb. 25, 1994. Born in Blackstock, she was a daughter of the late Dr. James Adams and Frances D. Thorn Hayne. She was a graduate of Converse College and a member of St. John's church.
Surviving are sons, Philip Hasell, Jr. of Isle of Palms and Adams Hasell of Columbia; a daughter, Mrs. Jean LaBorde of Columbia; 15 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
|Hayne, Frances Thorn (I596525)
|36|| Word was received in Columbia yesterday of the death of Mrs. Frances Douglass Thorn, who died at a ripe age at Mons Esculapius, her country home, near Blackstock.|
Mrs. Thorn was a member of the Presbyterian church. She had many friends who will learn with regret of her death.
She is survived by three daughters; Mrs. James A. Hayne of Congaree, wife of the secretary of the state board of health, Miss Susan Thorn of Blackstock, and Mrs. Mary Lunsford Moores of Texarkana, Texas.
|Douglass, Frances Petrena Porcher (I603962)
|37||Anne Paul was the sister of Audley Paul, who married General Mathews' sister, Jane Mathews. Anne Paul Mathews was born c1741 in Ireland and died in Oglethorpe County, Georgia 21 September 1788. She is buried at the "Goosepond," in Oglethorpe County, Georgia. Her tombstone reads In memory of Ann P. Mathews, wife of Genl. George Mathews, who departed this life Sept. 21st 1788, in the 48th year of her age.||Paul, Anne (I148302)
|38||Cynlas, who was Lord of Glamorgan and father of St. Cadoc.||???, \Cynlas\ (I149045)
|39||Merio, who gave his name to Merioneth;||???, \Merio\ (I149043)
|40|| Paul was educated at Eton and St. John's, Cambridge. He served as a|
Captain in the Georgetown Artillery, and was scheduled to sign the
Declaration of Independance, but got sick
|Trapier, Paul (I600615)
|41|| Pitcur was inherited by Agatha Halyburton, wife of the 15th earl of Morton, whose second son, the Hon. Hamilton Douglas, became possessed of it, and according to the entail, assumed the name of Halyburton. On his death in 1783, it went to his aunt, Mary, countess of Aboyne, whose second son, Colonel the Hon. Douglas Gordon, afterwards Lord Douglas Gordon Halyburton, succeeded to it, and on his death in 1841, his nephew, Lord Frederick Gordon, became the proprietor, also taking the name of Halyburton, being the lineal male heir and representative of that ancient family.|
A shrewd soldier, landowner and bank director who counted Henry Brougham*, Lord Lansdowne and the duke of Sussex among his personal correspondents and friends, his military career included service in Austria, whence he returned with dispatches from Colonel Crawford in 1796, and seven years (1803-10) as an assistant to the quartermaster-general in Ireland, which equipped him well to develop his substantial interests in banking and transport in Dundee and Ireland
|Gordon Halyburton, Lord Douglas (of Pitcur) (I161133)
|42||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld.||Foster, Margaret Hayne (I596324)
|43||"a descendant of the great Scottish house of Douglas". (Evans, British Genealogist, book 4 p. D154)||Douglas, James (of Haddington) (I1160)
|44||"In Capt. Zaccheus Case's Co. 1776, CT Troops. 19Aug. AR in NY - deserted. Resided near homestead on Chestnut Hill, now East Hill, Canton." pg 105, "Simsbury Soldiers in the War of the Revolution".||Case, Silas (I115287)
|45||"M. P., High Sheriff of Glamorgan, 1544. Died 10 November 1557. Married 1st, Mary Anne Herbert, daughter of Sir William Herbert of Colebrook..... Sir George was knighted 1553. He revived the privileges of the Marcher Lordship held by his ancestors, and obtained confirmation of them from the Bishop of Llandaff. Sir George was custodian of the relic of St. Teilo. He married 2nd, Barbara, daughter and heir of Sir Robert Bret of Cossington." The chief difference in the foregoing account and others is that his first wife is also mentioned as "Margaret, dau. of Sir William Herbert of Colebrook....."||Mathew, Sir George (I148970)
|46||"sometime apothecary in Carlisle||Grierson, John (of Dalgoner) (I26069)
|47|| 'son and heir'|
Possibly an advocate
|Blackwood, Robert (I169978)
|48|| 'was of the most distinguished of New York families'|
On her insistence that Henry took the Douglas name and they were known as Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Cruger.
|Cruger, Henry (I26129)
|49||(a few days old)||Douglas, Patience (I172211)
|50||(daughter of Elias Ball and Mary Delamere)||Ball, Eleanor Delamere (I168572)