William Douglas

Formerly a blacksmith's shop in Bristol U.K., the Douglas Engineering Company owned by brothers William and Edward Douglas began producing motorcycles in 1907.

Based on a horizontally opposed twin cylinder design, their engines gradually increased in size and power through to 500c and 600cc models fitted to the DT5 and DT6 Dirt Track models of the late 1920's and early 1930's.Dirt Track racing in Australia

During the 1920's, speedway and dirt track racing had begun to grow in popularity. 

Australian riders, promoters and engineers featured prominently in this growth and the success of the Douglas dirt track machines.

See also: Douglas Engineering Company