Kinross

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names


This page is a stub - you can help complete it

Burgh of Kinross

Official blazon
Argent, between two piles Gules, a representation of the Market Cross of the Burgh therefrom pendant the jougs all Proper; on a chief of the Second, two mullets of the field.

Above the Shield is placed a mural coronet suitable to a Burgh and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Siccar".

Origin/meaning
The arms were granted on July 23, 1934.

Kinross was created a Burgh of Barony in 1540-41 in favour of Robert Douglas of Loch Leven, and was raised to a Burgh of Regality in favour of Sir William Bruce of Kinross in 1685.

The arms are closely related to those of Douglas of Loch Leven, the major difference being that the third pile in the Douglas arms has been replaced by a representation of the Town Cross, with its iron "jougs", an old instrument of punish­ment by which defaulters could be secured to the Cross.

The Town Cross was shown on the Burgh seal and also the motto "Siccar" which, while obviously referring to the "jougs", has clearly a connection with the "Lock Sicker" of the Earls of Morton; this Earldom was inherited by Sir William Douglas of Loch Leven in 1588 and until the early eighteenth century the Earls of Morton lived at Kinross.

Community Council

Official blazon
Argent, between two piles Gules a representation of the Market Cross of the Burgh therefrom pendant the jougs all Proper, on a chief of the Second two mullets of the Field.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two-halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Siccar".

Origin/meaning
The arms were granted on February 25, 1987.

These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.

Notes:
• In 1975, the Burgh of Kinross was incorporated into Perth and Kinross District Council (1996 Perth and Kinross Area Council)




Any contributions will be gratefully accepted>



Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017