Douglas related armorials

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

arms arms    

 


The following two coats of arms contain evidence of the bearer's Douglas antecedents.

Heraldry Contents
 
  • Heraldry - Home
  • Crests - people
  • Crests - places
  • Crests - organisations
  • Hatchments
  •  
  • Heraldic shields
  • The Douglas heart
  • Seals
  • Flags and banners
  • Mottoes
  •  
  • Bookplates
  • Stamp impressions
  • Stained glass
  •  
  • Butter knife
  • Kilt pin
  • Sgian dhu
  • Jean-Guy Philip Boisserolles de Saint-Julien, Baron of Hartsyde

    The Dignity of the Barony of Hartsyde is registered in vol.2 of the Scottish Barony Register of date 26 February 2010. The Arms were granted by the Lord Lyon, King of Arms, with a baronial helm appropriate to the Dignity of a Baron in the Baronage of Scotland.

    The armiger is a Hospital Director, Graduate of the Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris, and of the Ecole Nationale de la Santé Publique. He has three children, Jean-Guillaume (b.1996), his heir apparent, Enguerrand (b.1999) and Charlotte (b.2001).

    The french Arms of the Baron of Hartsyde have also been recorded through a Certification of Arms (25/2003) under the Hand and Seal of the Marques de La Floresta, Cronista de Armas de Castilla y Leon of date 25 November 2003 and a Registration of Arms (Certificate N°3517) of the Bureau of Heraldry, Pretoria, South Africa, of date 04 April 2006.

    The Scottish arms allude to the French Arms of the armiger’s family: The shield is a synthesis reflecting the quartered Arms of the armiger’s families of Philip and Boisserolles. The armiger’s family is an ancient family of small rural Lords in the old Province of Languedoc (South France) which goes back to the 14th century. The first known forefather of the armiger is Guillaume de Boisserolles, been born circa 1340 in the village of Boisserolles, in the Mas of Boisserolles (lat. Mansus de Boyssayroliis), in the Gard (Languedoc).

    The direct family of the armiger left the Gard circa 1580 to became established 60 km farther, in the Départment of Lozère (Languedoc). His direct forefathers were lords of a small village, named “Saint-Julien du Gourg”, next to Florac (Lozère-Languedoc). They were Finance Officers of the Barony of Florac under the reign of Louis XV.

    The crest, an eagle holding a sprig of Box, is also an heraldic allusion to the family Boisserolles, whose name comes from the Latin “Buxus” and means the box tree.

    The Scottish roots of the Armiger are recorded through the branch of his paternal family Philip.
    The Philip ancestor was probably a Scottish soldier who went to the Kingdom of France during the Hundred Years War. This branch of the family settled in Languedoc and has for centuries been landowners.

    The Barony of Hartsyde (also called Wandell) is an old Scottish feudal Crown Barony (1345/1613) and is located in the in Upper Clydesdale, near Biggar, Lanarkshire. Hartsyde may be so named from Hertisheved, a name of Saxon origin, been deflected in modern language into Hartsyde (Harts/Deers), which have formerly been plentiful in the woods of the Barony; King James V pursued the sport of deer-hunting in the once thickly-wooded hills of Hartsyde.
    The name Wandell is thought to have derived from the British Quendall or Gwendall, signifying "the White Meadow".

    The succession of the barony has followed five families.

    The HERTYSHED family:
    The territory of Hartsyde was held in 1198, by William de Hertisheved, in the reign of William I.
    In 1225. In the reign of Alexander II, William de Hertisheved was Sheriff of Lanark. His son,
    Alan de Hertesheued live in 1240/1250 and Richard de Hertishevit lived in the latter half of the 13th c.

    The LOGAN family:
    Walter Logan, Lord of Hartside, became Sheriff of Lanark in 1301 and was granted the Estates of Hartside in Upper Clydesdale in year 1306. This family died out in the direct line in the first half of the 14th c., as the Barony of Hertysheuid (Hartsyde) was in the ward of the Crown around 1340.

    The JARDINE (of Applegirth) family:
    In 1345 William de Gardine obtained from King David II a Charter of the lands and Barony of Hertishyde (Hartsyde) in Lanarkshire. In 1559, Mary, Queen of Scots, granted John Jardine of Applegirth, Baron of Hartsyde, further lands within the Barony of Hartsyde or Wandell (Lanarkshire).
    The Jardens of Applegirth continued to hold the barony of Hartside, otherwise called Wendal, till the 17th century.

    The DOUGLAS family:
    In 1613, King James VI granted in a Charter the lands and Barony of Hartsyde, alias Wandell (County of Lanark), in favour of William Douglas, Earl of Angus. This is the actual entitlement​ to the Barony of Hartsyde. On the 16 September 1617 a new Barony, named Wandell, was created.

    The PHILIP BOISSEROLL​ES de St-JULIEN family:
    The title and all rights of the Barony of Hartsyde are currently held by The Much Honoured Jean-Guy PHILIP BOISSEROLL​ES de St-JULIEN, Baron of Hartsyde


    Robert Allen Cromartie of Urquhart-on-Spey, Baron of Urquhart.

    The petition was submitted on the 28th September 2004, amended on the 23rd October 2007. The final grant was dated 14th December 2007 and signed by Robin O Blair, Lord Lyon King of Arms.

    The basic achievement is similar to that of the Baron of Urquhart's 16th century Orkney ancestral Cromartie arms. Since it is also similar to that of the Chief of Clan Urquhart, whereas his three boars' heads have blue tongues and silver tusks, the Baron of Urquhart chose to have the boars' heads depicted all red, in the more ancient tradition. Since the armiger has no known blood relationship to the Chief, and is thus an indeterminate Urquhart cadet, he introduced the Chevron, its choice being influenced by the original Cromarties having possessed the motte on which the ancient Cromartie Castle was built in the ancestral Urquhart lands.

    As an armorial featuring a Chevron between three boars' heads might suggest an Elphinstone connection, so the three pierced mullets were added. Three mullets also hint at the arms of the early Douglas family that ruled Moray and thus the lands that later formed the Barony of Urquhart, so these were pierced to make the spur rowels that allude to the armiger’s own history as an equestrian sportsman.

    The Crest of a horse's head again symbolizes the armiger’s life-long career as a thoroughbred horse breeder and racing enthusiast. The Crescent worn on a chain around the horse's neck honours Alexander Seton, first Baron of Urquhart.

    By Certificate recorded in the land Register of Scotland of date 17 April 2007 the Petitioner is infelt in the lands of Urquhart-on-Spey.

    The chapeau, mantle, Badge and Standard are destined to the Petitioner and his heir in the said barony of Urquhart.

    Source

     

    Sources for this article include:
  • The Armorial Register - International Register of Arms


  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Sunday, 02 June 2019