Douglas of Pierston
This page is a Stub - you can help improve it
This was long a family of distinction in Cunninghame, and is still respectably represented, though the property has been out of their hands more than 100 years. It was acquired through the marriage of an heiress, about the year 1400, or soon after, by Robert Barclay, of a potent family in those times. This lady was the youngest of three daughters of a Sir William Douglas, Dominus de Pierston, so designed in 1891.
The eldest daughter was married to Blair of Adamton, the second to Craufurdi of Thirdpart—and all of them brought great possessions to their respective husbands, the youngest having for her share, not only the lands of Pierceton, but those also of Warrickhill adjoining, extending to about 900 Scots acres of among the most fertile lands in the parish of Dreghorn; making, previous to the reign of King Robert Bruce, a part of the great possessions of John Balliol, King of Scots, and his near relatives, de Ferrars and de la Suche.
The notices respecting this family are, however, very scantily
supplied, either from public records, or from private communication.
In the Register of Sasines I find only three entries as under:—
Warrix (now Warrick) Hill formed part of the demesne of the De
Morvilles who forfeited their lands to Robert the Bruce. Sir James,
son of Sir James Stewart of Bonkill, son of Alexander the High
Steward of Scotland, obtained Peirstoun and Warrixhill, and his son,
also Sir James, in turn inherited. This son had only a daughter as
heir and she married Sir William Douglas and thus the property
passed by marriage to the Barclay's of Pierstoun. Warrixhill became
divided into two and the Montgomeries of Bourtreehill held one half
whilst the Cunninghamhead family obtained the other. In 1524 William
Cuninghame inherited the lands from his father John and both parts
were sold to John Edmeston, Minister of Cardross, whose son John
sold them to Jonathan Anderson, a Glasgow Merchant. William Henry
Ralston, a cadet of the Ralstons of that Ilk purchased them in 1790
from John, son of Jonathan Edmeston. A nephew, Alexander MacDougal
Ralston inherited in 1833. Margaret Fullarton was the wife of
Alexander McDougall Ralston. They were buried in Dreghorn parish
churchyard. The three sections of Peirstoun were known as Pierstoun-Barclay,
Pierstoun-Blair and Pierstoun-Cunninghame. This latter portion is
thought to have contained Warrickhill itself. John Muir of Warwick
Mains died in 1875. He was a private in the Ayrshire Yeomanry
Cavalry and was killed in accident by his horse. He was buried in
Dreghorn Parish Churchyard.
Archibald Crawfurd of Auchnames, who had a grant from his father of certain lands in 1427, and afterwards succeeded him in Auchnames. He married Margaret, daughter and a co-heiress of Sir William Douglas of Peirston, by whom he had two sons; 1. Robert; and 2. Thomas, ancestor of the Craufurds of Thirdpart.
The eldest son, Robert Crawford, succeeded him in Auchnames. He was twice married, 1st to Margaret Douglas(1), daughter of George, Master of Angus, (and sister to Archibald, the Great Earl, who married the widow of James IV. daughter of Henry VII. of England,) by whom he had a daughter, married to Semple of Noblestoun.— He next married Marion Houston, daughter of Houston of that Ilk, by whom he had three sons; James, Henry, and Robert,—in whose favour he granted a charter, in 1483, and in 1484, gave seisin of his whole lands to his eldest son, James, reserving his own life-rent, and was killed in 1513, along with James IV. at the battle of Flouden, and was succeeded by his son* VII. James Craufurd of Auchnames, who had a charter of the lands of Corsbie and Munnock in 1498, and he appears in other charters.
Back to top
The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.
As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.
Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.
Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017