Douglases in Carlisle

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder





























Index of first names


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

Carlisle Castle was first built during the reign of William II of England, the son of William the Conqueror who invaded England in 1066. At that time, Cumberland (the original name for north and west Cumbria) was still considered a part of Scotland. William II ordered the construction of a Norman style motte and bailey castle in Carlisle on the site of the old Roman fort of Luguvalium, dated by dendrochronology to 72AD, with the castle construction beginning in 1093. The need for a castle in Carlisle was to keep the northern border of England secured against the threat of invasion from Scotland. In 1122, Henry I of England ordered a stone castle to be constructed on the site. Thus a keep and city walls were constructed. The existing Keep dates from somewhere between 1122 and 1135.

The act of driving out the Scots from Cumberland led to many attempts to retake the lands. The result of this was that Carlisle and its castle would change hands many times for the next 700 years. The first attempt began during the troubled reign of Stephen of England.

On 26 March 1296, John 'The Red' Comyn, since the fourth quarter of 1295 Lord of Annandale, led a Scottish host across the Solway to attack Carlisle. The then governor of the castle, one Robert de Brus, deposed Lord of Annandale, successfully withstood the attack, before forcing the raiders to retreat back through Annandale to Sweetheart Abbey.

•  Sir William Douglas, Lord of Nithsdale, a man of apparently dashing bearing, was with the Franco-Scots army when it unsuccessfully besieged Carlisle Castle in 1385, the defending Governor being Lord Clifford. He is recorded as there performing feats of valour and killing many Englishmen.
•  Bishop John Douglas
 (July 14, 1721 – May 18, 1807) was a Scottish scholar and  bishop. As chaplain to the 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards, he was at the Battle of Fontenoy, 1745, where he was employed in carrying orders from general Campbell to a detachment of English troops.. He then returned to Balliol as a Snell exhibitioner; became Vicar of High Ercall, Shropshire in 1750; Canon of Windsor in 1762; Bishop of Carlisle in 1787 (and also Dean of Windsor in 1788); and Bishop of Salisbury in 1791.
•  Sir William Douglas of Kelhead was Governor of Carlisle. He was appointed the city's Governor following the seige of Carlisle in 1645.
•  The Scots suffered defeat at the Battle of Solway Moss in 1542, fought close to Carlisle. Sir James Douglas, 7th of Drumlanrig was taken prisoner following the battle  His keeper was the Master Customar of Carlisle.
•  Initially James Douglas, 2nd earl of Queensberry was a supporter of the Scottish national covenant. However, in 1645 he changed his allegiance to the king. He set out to join Montrose after his victory at Kilsyth, but on the way was captured and taken prisoner to Carlisle.

•  James Douglas of Drumlanrig; keeper, the Master Customar of Carlisle
•  Mary, second daughter and co-heir of James Douglas, M.D., of Carlisle, third son of Sir William Douglas, bart., of Kilhead.

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted>

Back to top


The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Sunday, 02 June 2019