Douglas of Langnewtoun

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

map  

 

This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

The old parish of Longnewton was annexed in the end of the seventeenth century to that of Ancrum,* of which it has since formed the north-west portion. It was bounded on the south by the water of Ale, and appears never to have extended eastward beyond the ridge called Lilliard's Edge.

In 1390 Robert II. be- stowed the advowson of the church on Henry of Douglas, who had previously resigned it into his hands, but of whose previous title to it we have no account.

At the Reformation Francis earl of Bothwell became proprietor of ' the lands of Langnewtoun, with the tower, mill, tenants, tenandries, service of freeholders, and their pertinents,' and his charter and infeftment were in 1581 and 1585 ratified by the parliament of James VI.i^ In 1601 the lands and barony of Langnewtoun, with the mill, and all their pertinents, lying in the sheriffdom of Roxburgh, were set in tack to James Douglas commendator of Melros, and Helen Scott his spouse, for ' satisfactioun and contentatioun' of the maills, fermes, profits, and duties of the barony of Newlands in Peebles, disponed to them by William earl of Morton, under reversion of 17,000 marks due them by the Earl, for yearly payment of five chalders victual, viz., 40 bolls wheat and 40 bolls bear, besides three chalders victual, viz., 30 bolls bear and 1 8 bolls meal, of the first, best, and reddicst payment addetit to' them ' be the tenentis of Langnewtoun, to be delyverit on' their ' expensis frely in the place of Dalkeyth or Drochoillis,' and they were to ' cans the tenentis becum actit and oblist to pay and cary the same in maner and during the space above written, and this by and atour the saidis fyve chalderis victual addetit yeirlie and promittit be' them ' furth of the saidis landis of Langneutoun.'i From the above it appears that there were both a tower or fortalice and a mill at Loncnewton and 'Langnewtoun common' is mentioned by Blaeu.-
Extracted from: Origines parochiales Scotiae


Longnewton House may be built on the site of, or even incorporate part of, an old tower belonging to the Rutherfords.

There was a grange at Newton which belonged to Kelso Abbey. This has been equated with Longnewton although the location is not clear.

The property was held by the Soulis family in the early 14th century however following a plot in 1320 to kill Robert the Bruce and replace him as King with William de Soules, Lord of Liddesdale, Longnewton was forfeited.

In 1326 the King gave £2000 Sterling for the rebuilding of Melrose Abbey following its destruction by the English in 1322. The money was primarily raised from the baronies of Cessford and Eckford which Sir Roger de Mowbray had forfeited, and the lands of Nisbet, Longnewton, Maxton and Caverton which William, Lord Soules, had forfeited.

Langnewton was burned by the English in 1544.





•  [Date unknown] vnacum aduocacionibus et donacionibus ecclesiarum, capellani- arum earundem, jacentium infra vicecomitatum nostrum de Roxburgh; et de triginta nouem terris husbandriis cum molendino et pertinenciis, jacentibus in Langnewtoune ;
[vnacum aduocacionibus and the gifts of the churches, chaplani- Arum, lies below the sheriff of our de Roxburgh; and the thirty nine countries of Husbandrians with the mill, lying on LangNewtoune]


•  In 1446.... dispute between Henry of Douglas of Langnewtoune and Henry Stewart of Glasford

•  In 1497 George Rutherfurd, who died 16 FEB 1498/99, held Longnewton and other lands of Robert Douglas of Lochleven by charters of September 20, 1497, granted the same to his nephew Walter Rutherford all to be holden blench of the said Lochleven. In 1544 William Rutherford, heir and successor of Walter Rutherfurd, founded on these charters to show that his ancestor was infeft in Longnewton in 1497. The district of Longnewton is presently annexed to the parish of Ancrum.  He was the son of George Rutherford, of Chatto.

•  11th November 1508.... jaceutibus in Langnewtoune

•  Robert of Lochleven (d.1513) son of Sir Henry of Lochleven Robert and Elizabeth Erskine. In 1508 he was recorded as former superior of the Lordship of Liddesdale and other lands, which were inherited by Adam Hepburn. He married Elizabeth, daughter of David Boswell. He is probably the Robert who is recorded being ‘in Langnewtone’ in 1508 when he was on the panel of ‘retour’ for Adam Hepburn in the Lordship of Liddesdale. He could be the same Robert who had a sasine for Longnewton in 1476.

 William Douglas (c.1540–1606) 6th Earl of Morton owned the island castle where Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned. In 1595 he complained that the Kers were harassing his tenants in Longnewton.

•  In 1595 Sir Robert Ker was declared a rebel for failing to present him and the Earl of Morton continued to complain that there was no promise made to stop harassing his tenants in Longnewton.

•  On 2nd January 1563-64 letters of legitimation were granted in favour of John Douglas, Rector of the University of St Andrews, bastard son natural of quondam Robert Douglas in Langnewtoune (Register of Privy Seal, xxxii. 23).  [His cousin Hugh Douglas was the son of William Douglas of Bonjedward]

•  Stephen Douglas of Timpendean (16th/17th C.) son of Andrew, he was the 5th Laird. In 1611 Robert, Burgess of Jedburgh (possibly a relative) was caution for his appearance at court in Jedburgh. In 1617 he was among Border Lairds who renewed their bond for keeping the peace. In 1631 he was one of the men accused by the minister of Longnewton of taking his teinds.

•  1602... pertening to George Wilfoune (Wilson) in Langnewtoune, furth of his duelling hous in Langnewtoune

•  " At Langnewtoune, the xviii. daye of June in the zeir of God a m.vc lv. zeiris, comperit Williem Mowe, eymys son to Jhon of Mow of that Ilk, and of his behalff, and thair requyrit at ii. pursewanttis, the tayne of tham hecht Langlandis and the tother Cunnyngam, and he requyrit at tham quhi thai twyk awaye the said Jhon of Mowis meill of the walor of xvi. bollis wythout ony ordour of lawe, the mater betuyx the said Jhon of Mow and the lard of Langnewtoune dependant in the law and wndesidit."









Source

 

Sources for this article include:
  • Origines parochiales Scotiae
  • Andy Sweet / Stravaiging around Scotland

    Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






  •  

    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Tuesday, 01 February 2022