|Formerly a blacksmith's shop in
Bristol U.K., the Douglas Engineering Company owned by brothers William
and Edward Douglas began producing motorcycles in 1907.
Based on a horizontally opposed twin cylinder design,
their engines gradually increased in size and power through to 500c and
600cc models fitted to the DT5 and DT6 Dirt Track models of the late
1920's and early 1930's.
During the 1920's, speedway and dirt track racing had begun
to grow in popularity.
Australian riders, promoters and engineers featured
prominently in this growth and the success of the Douglas dirt track
See also: Douglas