8th and 9th Battalions of the Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Plants: image 1 0f 4 thumb   

This page is a stub - You can help complete it

9th LANARKSHIRE RIFLE VOLUNTEER CORPS.

Regimental District, No. 71.

"South Africa, 1900-02." | Order of Precedence, 118.

Headquarters — Lanark.

The "8th Battalion Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers " appears for the first time in the January 1861 Army List as having been formed on December 9, 1860, when it was composed of the 37th (Lesmahagow), 55th (Lanark), 73rd (Carluke), and 94th (Douglas) Corps of one company each, the dates of offer of services and of commissioning of officers of which are given in Appendix C. The uniform of the 37th Corps was Elcho grey tunics and knickerbockers, with scarlet piping and scarlet and black Austrian knots, small grey shakos with a blackcock's tail on the left side, scarlet piping, and bugle and crown badge, yellow leather leggings, and brown belts. Those of the 55th and 73rd Corps are given as "grey, facings scarlet," and are stated to have been similar to that of the 37th. In March 1861 the battalion became the 3rd Administrative Battalion Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers, with headquarters at Lanark. Locally it was, and continued to be, known as the " Upper Ward Battalion." In 1862 the battalion adopted a scarlet tunic with blue facings and white Austrian knot, blue trousers with red piping, blue shakos with red piping and black ball-tuft, and brown belts.

In 1863 the 62nd Corps (Biggar), which had had an ephemeral existence in 1860, was revived and added to the battalion, and in 1875 the 9th Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteer Corps.

107th Corps (Leadhills) was formed, thus bringing the establishment of the battalion up to six companies.

In March 1880 the battalion was consolidated and numbered the 37th, but in June 1880 it was re-numbered the 9th Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteer Corps.
The companies were lettered —
A, Lesmahagow (late 37th);
B, Lanark (late 55th);
C, Biggar (late 62nd);
D, Carluke (late 73rd) ;
E, Douglas (late 94th) ; and
F, Leadhills (late 107th).

In the same year blue helmets took the place of the shakos, white belts replaced the brown, and for the tunic was substituted a red serge frock with blue collar, red cuffs, and white Austrian knot. On June 27, 1883, sanction was given for the adoption of the scarlet doublet with yellow facings and Mackenzie tartan trews of the Highland Light Infantry, with black leggings. The helmet was retained until 1904, when it was replaced by the diced shako of the H.L.I, for officers and a glengarry for the other ranks. In 1904, also, the facings were changed from yellow to buff.

In 1894 the headquarters of "E" Company were transferred to Forth, and in 1901 those of "F" Company were moved to Law, the Leadhills detachment becoming a section of " C " Company. The battalion possessed five rifle-ranges.

During the South African War 96 members of the battalion — including Captain J. Gray, who was attached to the Scottish Volunteer Cyclist Company, and was mentioned in despatches — saw active service. Of these, 25 men served with the 1st, 22 with the 2nd, and 18 with the 3rd Volunteer Service Company of the Highland Light Infantry, of whom Lance-Corporal J. Walker and Private A. Gray died of disease, and Private A. Wilson was wounded at Retief s Nek ; 26 men served with the Imperial Yeomanry.


The commanding officers of the battalion have been —

Major James T. Brown, December 12, 1860.
Major Hugh Mossman, July 15, 1868.
Major James Stevenson Hamilton, late Captain 12th Lancers, September 21, 1872.
Lieut. - Colonel J. Stevenson Hamilton (afterwards James Stevenson), A.D.C., C.B., V.D., Colonel, May 26, 1875.
Lieut.-Colonel W. Bertram, Major (retired pay), late Manchester Regiment, December 20, 1905, to March 10, 1908.


Commissions signed by Her Majesty's Vice Lieutenant of the County of Lanark -

94th Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteer Corps (Douglas).
Thomas Rennie Scott, Esq., to be Captain. Dated 4th October, I860.
James Gillespie, Gent., to be Lieutenant. Dated 4th October, 1860.
Archibald Dunlop Scott, Gent., to be Ensign. Dated 4th October, 1860.



Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017