Castello Fombio

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Fombio  

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

 

 

In 1299, Alberto Scotti, lord of Piacenza, was invested by the municipality, owned by Fombio: one of the obligations of the fugitive was that he had to build a castle, where the inhabitants could find shelter in case of war. The castle built by Scotti is the one that, to a large extent, still exists and that dominates the plain towards Piacenza. A previous castle, known as the "castellazzo", stood instead to the north of the town; of it only ruins remain at a farmhouse towards Codogno.

The castle of Fombio, witnessed many war events, in the context of the struggles between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines. In 1314, Galeazzo Visconti, lord of Piacenza, fearing that the city was taken by the Guelphs stationed in Fombio, took possession of the fortress with part of his army, set it on fire and took the inhabitants prisoner. Still visible is the castle, built by Alberto Scotti, a massive square mass (with a U-shaped plan), open towards the plain, with powerful brick walls. The defensive ditches that surrounded it over time have been filled and only a few traces remain of the drawbridge. His eventful past saw him as the protagonist of bloody struggles and the seat of the court of justice, but also a noble residence. Numerous above all in the 1700s, the alterations and extensions to which the original fourteenth century core of the building was subjected. To this period belong the large porch overlooking the courtyard of honor and the bright veranda that connects the two wings of the castle. Visible in the interior halls, among other valuable architectural elements, is a wooden coffered ceiling (fifteenth century) and a stone fireplace (fifteenth century), bearing the Scotti coat of arms. The entrance hall, on the ground floor, preserves in the sub-arches and walls traces of frescoes (grotesque and allegorical figures) of good workmanship, probably dating back to the 17th century. Also noteworthy are the vast underground vaults of the castle covered by large barrel-vaulted brick ceilings.

The building is not in good condition, but the municipality bought it to restore it.


See also:
•  Douglas Scotti origins
•  The Douglases in Italy
•  Footprints of the Douglas Scotti; A Scottish Warrior Journeys to Piacenza in Northern Italy in 794 - The Douglas castles [pdf]
•  The Douglas Scotti families of Fombio and Sarmato tree


Source

 

Sources for this article include:
  • Municipality of Fombio

    Any contributions will be gratefully accepted - particularly with the translation!






  • Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Sunday, 02 June 2019