Castello di Agazzano

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

 


The castle of Agazzano is a fortification of the province of Piacenza.

Located in the heart of Val Luretta , not far from the stream, in a point of slight elevation, where the last hilly slopes give way to the plains. Composed of two buildings with completely different history, use and appearance: the renaissance fortress and the eighteenth-century palace are placed on the edge of the village of Agazzano , near the square that once defended.

The town of Agazzano assumes importance towards the XIII century as a market square and small capital of the feuds of the Scotti family . A family that, with alternate events, lost and regained the castle several times in the turbulent centuries of the Renaissance , but who managed to pass on its possession until the princess Luisa Gonzaga born Anguissola - Scotti, who died in 2008.

The current appearance of the fortress dates back to 1475 with the rebuilding, which took place on existing structures, by the hands of the Scotti family, who returned to possession after alternating events that lasted a couple of centuries.

It presents itself as a compact, massive and solid construction, with stone walls projecting up to half height, where they are marked by a string course, and a few openings placed at the top, at the roundabout .

It has a quadrangular plan with two round towers on the entrance façade. Access is allowed on the two opposite sides, from the outside through a small ravine that still bears the drawbridge, now a masonry bridge, and on the opposite side from another ravelin that now gives access to the residential building where once stood another part of the castle.

From the ravelin, through what was the second drawbridge, passing under the entrance dungeon you enter the inner courtyard with two flights of stairs leading to the roundabout, covered on three sides by an elegant portico refined with columns whose capitals they bear noble coats of arms . The courtyard of the late Renaissance building that housed, beyond the military quarters, halls with fireplaces and kitchens.

Placed next to the fortress, detached about ten meters, the residential building was built in the late eighteenth century on the foundations of the ancient castle, which still existed in 1740 . The building has maintained part of the perimeters of the pre-existing building and a quadrangular tower on the north edge. It has an open U-shaped plant towards the village. Its large rooms with frescoed ceilings are home to luxurious furnishings.

The buildings are surrounded by a garden designed by Luigi Villoresi. There are few tracts of the boundary walls in conjunction with the points of difference in level of the terrain.

It is part of the Association of Castles of the Duchy of Parma, Piacenza and Pontremoli and can be visited by appointment.

See also:
•  Italian members of the Douglas family

 

Sources


Sources for this article include:
•  Piacenz Antica



Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






Back to top

 



The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Wednesday, 18 July 2018