Rev Philip Henry Douglas

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Rev Philip Henry Douglas of Epsom, Surrey and Susannah (formerly Susannah Aplin) his wife.

On 11 October 1813, Edward Archbold of Norfolk Street, Strand, purchased the Eclipse public house copyhold [Lehmann 2C4]. From 1814 the Land Tax records show Edw. Archbold to have been owner/occupier of Clay Hill House and Land, and to have remained there until 1819. Lehmann reports the Eclipse premises were sold to Rev Philip Henry Douglas of Epsom on 12 October 1819.

The Rev P H Douglas of Great Bardfield, Essex, had married Susannah Aplin at St Leonards, Shoreditch, 7 January 1813.

In 1820 & 1821 the lower Clay Hill Land Tax assessment shows Douglas, late Archbold. From 1822 to 1831 the entry is for Rev P H Douglas, Self, House and Land. Henry Pownall in Some particulars relating to the history of Epsom (1825) remarks 'The house near the residence of Mr. Williams [on the far side of Clayhill Green], has been much improved by its present owner, the Rev. P. H. Douglas, who occasionally assists the Rev. Mr. Darby in the ministerial duties of the parish'.

Mrs Susannah Douglas died, aged 32, and was interred in St Martin's churchyard. She had possibly succumbed to complications in childbirth because a daughter Fanny Heatly Douglas was christened in the church on 14 July 1826. A gravestone is recorded as showing: -



Returning to the Rev P H Douglas, a second marriage to Mrs Ann Oram, nee Bull, widow of William Henry Oram, may be found registered at Worthing for the September Quarter 1839. The family then appear to have moved to the West Country.

The 1841 Census enumerates John Tate resident with his family in Clay Hill House. This is consistent with the 1843 terrier - Plots 207 to 210, including House, garden & pleasure grounds, orchards, meadows and sheds, Clayhill, owned by the Rev Philip Douglas with John Hilton Tate as his tenant.

James Levick became a tenant in Clay Hill House whilst Hookfield was being re-built in the 1850's

On 30 April 1861 the Eclipse PH copyhold was sold, as also would have been the Clay Hill House estate, by Rev Douglas of Broomhill, near Tiverton, to Edward Ellis, 36 Great Winchester Street, London.[Lehmann 2C4].

Notes:
1.  In 1823, pf Clay Hill, near Epson, Surrey.
2.  Jan. 12th 1842, At Devizes, the Rev. Charles W. Edmonstone, Vicar of St Mary's, Marlborough, to Mary D'Oyly, eldest dau. of the Rev. P. H. Douglas, by the Rev. G. Edmonstone.
3.  Heatly Douglas, Captain Ist Devon Militia, eldest son of the Rev. Philip Henry Douglas, of Broom-hill, Tiverton, to Frances Alice, youngest daughter of Lieut.Colonel Robert Vaudelcur, of Springfort, county Cork, and Weymouth. Cork Examiner Cork, Republic of Ireland, 19 Oct 1859
4.  Weston super Mare, Holy Trinity, Baptisms 1870 Apr 6
William Sholls Stair to Philip Heatly and Frances Alice Douglas. Captain 1st Devon Militia. (Probably should be William Sholto Stair Douglas, The Worcestershire Regiment (1914-1922); probably died in Sussex)



Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017