|Jane Douglas Chapter, National Society Daughters of the
American Revolution, in Dallas, Texas, was formed in the 19th Century;
endured through the 20th Century; and entered the 21st with the strength
of 105 years of chapter history and the confidence of those American
Revolutionary War patriots whose spirit this chapter honours.
Douglas Chapter was formed 19 October 1895, the first DAR chapter in
Dallas and second DAR chapter in Texas.
Cornelia Jamison Henry
(Mrs. John L.) was founding regent. Cornelia Henry’s qualifying patriot
ancestor, William Downs, was the son of Henry Downs and Jane Douglas(1),
for whom the chapter was named. Mrs. Henry served as chapter regent from
Texas Society of the Daughters of the American
Revolution was organized in 1900 during the Texas State Fair in Dallas.
Jane Douglas Chapter was hostess to the first three state conferences.
Cornelia Henry also served as the first Texas State Regent from
1902-1904 as have six other chapter members. Mrs. Henry died in August
1904 while still in office and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery in
Dallas. In 2001, the chapter honored the founding regent with a DAR
Beginning with the Spanish-American War and the
Galveston flood, Jane Douglas Chapter has been active in war and
disaster relief. During World War II, members volunteered for the Red
Cross and USO, donated blood, and furnished the recreation room at Camp
Howz. This work continues today as the chapter provides items to the VA
Hospital, Fisher House, and the Veterans Resource Center in Dallas.
We take special pride in providing the Jeannette Baldwin Stanbery
Scholarship Endowment Fund at Southern Methodist University.
the spirit of community service, Jane Douglas Chapter supports programs
within the Dallas Independent School District.
are held in the beautiful colonial style CONTINENTAL DAR HOUSE located
in Dallas’ Fair Park Campus. The house was a gift to Jane Douglas
Chapter from Continental Oil Company following the 1936 Texas Centennial
and 1937 Pan-American Exposition celebrations at Fair Park. The House's
Museum also contains the ELIZABETH WRIGHT LIBRARY (named in October 1995
to honor Miss Wright’s lifetime of service and dedication to DAR). It
contains more than two thousand genealogical reference books and
periodicals. During 1999-2000 all books were computer - catalogued with
a Library of Congress number. The library is available by appointment to
members and guests.
The Chapter celebrated its 100th Anniversary
with great fanfare in 1995.
Moving forward into the 21st
Century, Jane Douglas Chapter uses modern technology with its library
computer and chapter web site, to carry on NSDAR's goals of historical
preservation, education, and patriotism.
Who Jane Douglas was remains a mystery. See the discussion