Brigadier General Douglas-Campbell

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

Brig Gen Douglas Campbell Douglas (1854-1927) was the 20th Laird of Mains

He was given the name of Douglas Campbell at birth. On 23 June 1925 his name was legally changed to Douglas Campbell Douglas of Mains on inheriting estate from his uncle, Archibald Campbell Douglas of Mains.

Brig.-Gen. Douglas Campbell married Violet Averil Margaret Vivian, daughter of Colonel Henry Hussey Vivian, 1st Baron Swansea and Averil Beaumont, on 11 October 1899. He died on 17 June 1927.

They had three children:
• Margaret Ella Douglas
• Agnes Violet Averil Douglas b. 1901
• Lt.-Col. Archibald Vivian Campbell Douglas (6 Nov 1902- 28 October 1977) (21st and last Laird of Mains)



Brigadier General Douglas-Campbell, C.B., joined the Seaforths in May 1885, and served in India with the 2nd Battalion, taking part in the Hazara Campaign of 1888 and the Relief of Chitral in 1895. He commanded the 2nd Seaforths from 1909 to 1913, and at the outbreak of war was in command of the South Wales Infantry Brigade.

He was transferred to the Gordon Brigade, Highland Division, at Bedford, in February 1915; but this brigade was re-formed before proceeding overseas, and was eventually composed of the 6th and 7th Black Watch and the 5th and 7th Gordons. On its arrival in France the brigade was renamed the 153rd Brigade. He commanded this brigade till May 5, 1917, when he was transferred to command the 217th Infantry Brigade.

He took part in all the Division's actions from Festubert in May 1915 up to the capture of the Chemical Works at Roeux in April 1917.

He was awarded the C.B. in January 1917, and was three times mentioned in dispatches.

The Brigadier died on 17 June 1927.  A memorial to Brigadier General Douglas Campbell Douglas of Mains stands in New Kilpatrick Cemetery:
elaborately carved Celtic Cross (1927) in central area of cemetery, also in memory of Douglas of Mains family member, Douglas Campbell; foliated shaft and cross with medieval knight carving to head of shaft and heraldic shield to bottom; three stage base with flanking stones to either side.

The wording on the memorial is not easy to read, being worn and covered in lichen; biblical quotes have been excluded.




The cemetery is also the site of a Douglas of Mains mausoleum.

 

Sources

 

Sources for this article include:

•  Fred Farrell's war sketches on the 51st Highland Division

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Saturday, 18 March 2017